SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Another sidepipe thread

I've been reading over all the sidepipe threads I can find, looking to see if there is any new information.

I have a set of 10 year old Everett-Morrison sidepipes that have a cat in them. Since my engine long ago moved past being smogable, and I don't currently live in a state that requires it, I'd like to replace it with something less restrictive and more importantly, something that will be cooler.

It seems that after all the internet searching I have done there are two choices,

Stainless Steel Specialties
Dynomax's Bullet Racing mufflers

There are some similar to the Dynomax but without any advantage that I can see.

Is there anything else? Maybe something quieter?

Thanks,

Last edited by doitover; 10-09-2006 at 02:08 PM..
Old 10-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Stainless steel pipes run REALLY hot. I had a set on my Excalibur and was always amazed at how much hotter they were and STAYED than everyone elses side pipes.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 1022-BOWTIE
Not Ranked     

i have a rattle in one of my mufflers and i am thinking about replacing them with the Dynomax Bullets.

Sid
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

check www.classicchambered.com they have a loud and quiet muffler available. good luck
Old 10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch build......a little every day.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitover
Is there anything else? Maybe something quieter?
Thanks,
Boy, how many times have I heard that
I'm at that stage of muffler choice too. Have a good used pair of pipes that are in need of mufflers. I, too, am looking at those classicchambered ones. Their mufflers for Cobras are called "cobrapacks"
Here's a message I received from them............

"Dave, I can build a smooth 4" OD bodied version (called a PowerPack) to your specs. You can then weld an exit spout to it & weld it to a collector at the header end, & powder-coat if you choose - this is what Kinetic does. Kinetic uses only 3" cores."

Let me know!

Thanks,
Eric Sauls
President - CCEI

Thinking about it. I am going to the big SEMA show in Vegas in a few weeks. Going to check out some of the muffler manufactures.
Dave

Last edited by elgecko; 10-09-2006 at 11:17 AM..
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Here's another choice.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...=howe+mufflers
Old 10-16-2006, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL
Not Ranked     

I just ordered a set of the Cobrapacks from Eric at Classic Chambered Exhaust today. 28" body with the packing option. Probably be awhile before I get them welded in and back from Jet Hot.
Paul
Old 10-16-2006, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I just ordered some goodies for my new sidepipes:

Dynomax 23.5" long X 3"ID X 4"OD Bullets
Car Chemistry 3 disc inserts for the 3.5 OD collector, to go just in front of the Dynomax Bullets
Hooker Weld-on collector 2.125 inlets and 3.5 OD outlet

It will be a while before I run this setup, since I just lunched my motor and will need to build a new 540 BBC for the Cobra before I can hear how loud the new pipes are.

My theory is to use the inserts to bounce the sound around and the bullets to absorb some of the sound. I suspect the two methods each work best at different frequencies, so I hope to have a reasonable sound level at the exit. If the CC inserts are too restrictive, I can remove them since I will have a collector flange bolt joint.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Just a few words of advice from someone that has already gone through the expense of upgrading on sidepipes.

1. Drive the car some miles before you decide to make them pretty with JetHot coatings, etc.

I installed Stainless Specialties 3" ID mufflers. Great, great sound, but boy they sure get loud (especially at WOT) and you WILL need ear plugs full time if you want to be able to hear normal afterward. Hindsight being 20/20, I would have installed a Vortec cone ahead of the muffler (or some other device) to "knock the edge" off of them. Running race mufflers under a car is one thing...having them 18 inches from your ear is an entirely different matter.

Look at my pics if you want to see what the mufflers looked like before installation. Sure wish I had welding skills...I could save myself a ton of money.

-Dean #747
Old 10-16-2006, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Dean,

Your comment about Vortec cone ahead of the mufflers is exactly why I opted to apply the Car Chemistry 3 disc inserts ahead of the Dynomax bullets.

I have heard the Vortec cones do nothing. The CC inserts seem to have documented reduction qualities.

You are also right about the coating. I thought I'd just paint mine for a while, until I am satisifed. I also will put a collector bolt flange at the collector end in order to allow me to change the setup if it is too loud or conversely, too restrictive.

I have read your entire saga and decided to copy much of what you'd done. You sound today, less satisfied than initially (?). I suspected you were pretty loud and added the inserts to my copy of your activities. I am, of course, guessing the Dynomax 3" ID bullets in a 23.5"length are similar to your SS mufflers...
Old 10-16-2006, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did not opt for the Cobrapacks because of the louvered ID. I have heard (I think from ScottJ) that the louvers are very restrictive.

The Dynomax bullets have a perforated ID similar to the SS mufflers of Dean's.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites
Dean,

I have read your entire saga and decided to copy much of what you'd done. You sound today, less satisfied than initially (?). I suspected you were pretty loud and added the inserts to my copy of your activities. I am, of course, guessing the Dynomax 3" ID bullets in a 23.5"length are similar to your SS mufflers...
First of all, to have done nothing would have been the biggest mistake. The factory 2" ID pipes were muffled, power choking and didn't release that full "Cobra sound."

Given more funds, I certainly would have experimented with other combinations. Maybe 2.5" ID. Or stick with the 3" IDs and go with inserts like you are trying. I just didn't have the funds to zero in on what I thought was the ideal set-up, that's all.

It's all about "compromises." If you want more power and a healthier exhaust note, you need to open up the pipes. And with that comes more decibels. While it's a bit of a hassle to pop ear plugs into your ears every ride, it arguably should still be done with even the quietest pipes. The sound of my pipes is so good that, even with ear plugs, they sound terrific (at least to me, they do...others have also given them similar praise).

So I'm not less satisfied. I just feel that "disposable income" became the rev limiter to my seeking and finding the best balance. So that is the true source of my disappointment. Again, to do nothing would have been tragic.

-Dean
Old 10-16-2006, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

Peace! I totally agree that a change was in order. I had the same experience in the past with the supplied sidepipes for my Midstates. And as far as funds go, you're preachin' to the choir...

I just thought you were close to ecstatic initially, and maybe the new had worn off a little...

I am certainly going to try to take the next iterative step, based on your efforts. Thanks for blazing the trail!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites
Dean,
I just thought you were close to ecstatic initially, and maybe the new had worn off a little...
Escstatic turns to "better than stock" after you have had to LIVE with them for a while.

I know I sound bitter, but I'm really not. Most people that hear my pipes just gush...they really do sound strong and authoritative. All they hear is me pulling away and I see the thumbs ups in the rear view mirror. Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself "There has to be a way to knock off 10 decibels somewhere...."

-Dean
Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 974
Not Ranked     

I had FFR 2.5 "ID , 20" long blown glasspacks. I would use earplugs mostly on highway trips. I was not looking to deaden sound until they were fully blown and would hurt my ears at peak rpms . When I cut them off there was actually no more glass pack in half the mufflers making it even more than 2.5" ID as exhaust could slip around and above the mesh. I then opted to install 18" long , 3" ID Dynomax Race Bullets and added merge collectors . Immediately the motor lifted up with seat of the pants added power anywhere above 4500rpms. But......the sound was ear piercing loud at idle . It was downright intolerable for me at top end. The more rpm the louder they became. The sound never seemed to level out even at cruise. Anywhere above 3000rpm was inner ear piercing. I wore ear plugs and rolled through a town where folks were looking over their shoulder while holding their ears.
One week later I took a sawzall to the Bullets and left them in a dumpster. I installed Lobak "Race" Mufflers which have the larger 1.5" center tube (standard = 7/8") with 6 augers filling the remainder of the 4"ID muffler tube. They are loud but not as loud as the blown glasspacks. I'd compare them more to new GP's. They bump at idle real nice. They do have a sweet spot in the 2100-2400 range which puts me at ease, with no earplugs, at highway speeds. They get loud at 5500-6000+ rpm but so too did my new original GP's. With the blown GP's the motor pulled 417rwhp on a 70 degree day . Similar temps it pulled 420 with the Lobaks /merge collectors. Only recently did I feel I'd want earplugs but we're now in the low 50's which is a factor for me especially on the highway. That's just my experiences as we all have different tastes and tolerances. The Race Lobaks are not quiet mufflers. Don't know if they do well with BB's. But...they worked for me.

Last edited by JAM1775; 10-17-2006 at 07:03 AM..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Larger flowpath = louder. Longer body = more sound control than a shorter body. Mufflers packed with sound absorption materials will be quieter - this is your only good solution unless you want to really downsize the flowpath. Over 480 HP go with a 3" core, if you're under this use the 2.5" core.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the information so far. Unless the folks finishing this for me have a great idea, I think I'm just going to go with the pipes I have and deal with it after it's finished.

I have a followup question. I'm pretty worried about someone getting burned on the sidepipes. Does ceramic coating just the outside prevent that? Does going to the trouble of having as much of the inside coated as possible make the pipes cooler?

Finally, is there really any difference in the different coating suppliers?

Thanks, so far the responses have been pretty helpful. I'm really interested in hearing about how the powerpacks do. I have to admit to being a little skeptical.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To really lessen the possibility of getting burned by hot sidepipes, you'd have to install a pipe shield over them. There are 4" 180-degree shields available, but they are 48" long. They are available in polished 304 Stainless, as well as aluminized. Solid, round holes, or slotted. I think the solid ones would look good, but you'd have to cut them down (you could get both sides with just one shield). You need the air gap between the hot pipe & the shield will stay pretty cool, plus it will cool down quick because they are thin material.

As far as the high temp. ceramic coatings, there are some good ones out there, & they do reduce the outside temp of the pipe. Even still, it will still require a cooling down period with hot pipes/mufflers. The main positive feature with coating the mufflers/pipes, is that they will fight corrosion better than paint, & look good much longer, plus they can take the heat.