SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info everyone.
Some criteria I did leave out........MUST be a big block! To me there is nothing like opening up the hood and seeing the engine compartment full. I accept the weight penalty After all bigger IS better except when it comes to your stomach. I run a C6 so I want all the power and torque in by 4500 to 5000 RPM. Yes you can get lots of horsepower from a well built, large displacement small block but they are just to high strung for me. I like an engine that when you mash the throttle will pull like an F15 at full afterburner from 1500 RPM on up.
Thanks again everyone,
Ray
Old 12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What the hell is that Don, a tank engine?

Ray
Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Put one of these next to ya! 698" North of 1500HP
Might as well keep it all Ford............

[IMG][/IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 12-13-2006, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blackbb66
What the hell is that Don, a tank engine?

Ray
Ray I have no idea I just found it somewhere surfing and everytime I look at it I get a big grin going. Now THAT is a monster block huh
Old 12-21-2006, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Home built, supercharged 544cu/in automatic
Not Ranked     

1blackbb66 - on production 385 engines some general observations. My 0-deck flatop piston .0030 over engine w-9 to one slugs could only fit a 6.7 rod in because a 6.8 rod pin would get into the bottom ring. Depends on the pistons design you order I guess. A 4.5 crank is about the most you can run in a production block and on the bore side of the block the less you bore it the more efficient the rig seal will be from block flex. Yes I have heard about 4.5 bore jobs but that's only under certain conditions, and usially for racing engines. A excellent combo would be a 4.3 stroke at no more than .0040 over. Even w/mild headwork you will be well north of 600 ft lbs of torque. And there in lays the secret of 385's, in street trim they ALL make about a REAL 600 lbs.torque. But (as they say there is always are butts) all things being even, as the displacment goes up on 385's the torque curve moves down, and become more flat across the rev range. Also,for every 50 cu.inch. you put into the engine from 429 cubes you will need 6 to 8 degrees more cam too, or it will loose horsepower. And for heavens sake keep your lift in a street engine to about .65 lift. and invest in aftermarket rods. You can run more lift but trouble free miles goes away in almost all cases,,,,,, (flame on)
Forget all that rod angle jazz because even the stock 6.6 rod lenth is really o.k.for a 4.5 stroke, though the longer rods will give you a tiny bit less side loading, but not much really. My old mans dump trucks prove that to the tune of 200,000+ miles. So the bottom line,,,,,, both torque and horsepower numbers will stay around 650 numbers on most street 385 builds regardless of displacement and rod lenths. The major difference is how hard it will pull and how hard you will have to push it to get there, and that effects how reliable your engine will be. You won't believe how hard big cubes pull AND how fast things happen too.
cobrashock

Last edited by cobrashoch; 12-21-2006 at 06:50 PM..
Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very good info.
Thanks Ron.
Ray
Old 12-27-2006, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker
Put one of these next to ya! 698" North of 1500HP
Might as well keep it all Ford............

[IMG][/IMG]

Man! I would love one. Don't have the 30 or 40 grand for one however.
Like I told Jake Greger one time, I want enough power that it always scares me a bit to stand on it!
Ray
Old 12-27-2006, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites
The other difference between a big block and a small block is you cannot get 600 ci from a small block, but it is easy money with a big block.

The weight of a big block might be around 100 lbs more which is about 4% extra in a 2500 lb car. The possible extra power (all things being as comparable as possible in the engine builds) from the additional cubic inches (say 540ci vs 427ci) might be 26% (just ratioing 540/427)...

So, it is clear that the detriment of the extra 4% in weight is easily outweighed by the benefit of the extra 26% in power by going from a 427 small block to a 540 big block.

Tough to argue with those numbers!

There is (still) no replacement for displacement

Very well put.
Ray
Old 12-27-2006, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again everyone. It would seem that 600 to 700 HP is not hard to get these days from a well built big block.
Ray
Old 12-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Don't forget that when talking weight differences between small blocks and FE's, an aluminum block and head FE (which I would guess most being built these days are) and a Windsor small block are very close in weight.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

The 460 based block is the cheapest horsepower you can get. Go for it!
Old 12-27-2006, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #1459 w/460(sold)New(used),spf w/427s.o.(sold)
Not Ranked     

My 460 from perf. eng. was not bored or stroked and put out 550 h.p and 550 tq. doesnt sound that great for the cubes......
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2457, Sunset Red/Titanium Stripes,460FR, SCJA, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

My car's engine is a Ford Racing 460 with Kaesse aluminum heads, Edelbrock RPM Performer intake and Holley 770 carb. Damn scary winding out the gears.. But, never been in a Cobra yet (BB or SB) that wasn't scary..I can't imagine wanting more horsepower but no doubt will..