SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast-450 HP 460
Not Ranked     
Default Monster Ford Engine

I'm thinking about building a 552 from a 460 block. (4.42" bore, 4.50" stroke, 6.80" rod length) Is anyone running something like this? I would like to get over 600 horse power running a dual quad intake and Cobra Jet aluminum heads. Is this possible? Ford Racing builds a Max Performance block that I understand can be taken to over 600 cubic inches but is very pricey. Since there is "no replacement for displacement", how big is enough to get 600 horsepower without forced induction?, or problems with rod angle etc?

Ray
Old 12-12-2006, 03:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4995, Keith Craft built 427 SO
Send a message via MSN to 427SnakeSC Send a message via Yahoo to 427SnakeSC
Not Ranked     

Talk to Keith Craft. He is building a 427 (482) for me. Promises it will dyno out at somewhere between 600 and 630 hp. Keith is the man to go to!
"The 427 Cobra is easily the highest performance car ever sold for street use. A decent 427 - not the worst, not the best, will go from zero to 100 mph and back down again to zero in less than 14 seconds. All thing considered, you can put together a pretty good argument that the 427 Cobra is the ultimate performance car, judged on any basis you want to name." Taken from; Corvette, The Sensuous American
Old 12-12-2006, 04:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Ray,

The NASCAR engine builders get over 800 horse from a maximum of 358 cubic inches. And that is with a single carb. So you should have no problem at all getting your 600+.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-12-2006, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We offer a 460 Windsor small block called Man O'War Limited which gives comfortably over 600HP. It runs on pump gas and has a 2 year warranty.
Details at our site link in my sig.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ray....when I was at SEMA this last November, the Roush corner had some fine engines on display, including a 460 based 588 incher. No price tag on it however. I'm not up to speed on 460 blocks, so I can't comment on how far a 460 block can be taken out. 600+ horsepower is a no brainer with those kind of cubic inches.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, KC 427
Not Ranked     

If you want a great motor with a the right parts and yet have it at a reasonable cost, then talk with Keith Craft.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 545" stroked 460 - sold
Not Ranked     

My 460 was built by Coast High Performance (www.coasthigh.com) and is their "street fighter" 545CI, they also list a 557CI (4.440 bore, 4.500 stroke) and other custom options. I have been very happy with my 460. I just could not resist, however, commenting further on your MONSTER motor question, so here is another option:
Old 12-12-2006, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You can get 600+ HP from the 514 Ford Crate motor. You don't need to go wild on the bore/stroke to get to the that level. Mine was making over 600 at 460 CI with a single carb and flat tappet hydraulic cam. All it takes is some good heads and camshaft.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1404 KC 482 GENESIS
Not Ranked     

Keith Craft built me a 427 (482) genesis a month ago. It dyno'd 596/633 with cast medium riser heads. I wanted something that would scare me a little and I got my wish.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I'm building a 540 BBC in order to have >650HP and mild street manners at the same time. I got tired of eating lifters and valve springs running high rpm with the old 427. The new 540 should be easy on parts and still get me the power I need. If I had more hood clearance for a tall deck block, I'd go to a 632, but alas have to stay to 540ci. With the current china-sports rods and cranks, plus good heads, these size motors are easy to build, last forever, and make huge power, whether they be Chevy or Brand-X...

There is no replacement for displacement!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Who can say what the max cubic inch displacement is for a street 460 block? I assume a tall deck aftermarket block will provide the mega inches.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Paint:Metalflakes Royal and Abalone stripes registered in France in 1973. Engine: Ford Shelby aluminium block, 482; two 4-barrels 600cfm Holley; Edelbrock Performer Aluminium heads,,fluid damper,4-speeds Aluminium Toploader (short), 2.88rear
Send a message via Skype™ to BOURRET
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Spence
Keith Craft built me a 427 (482) genesis a month ago. It dyno'd 596/633 with cast medium riser heads. I wanted something that would scare me a little and I got my wish.
He did the same thing for me with great results and very reliable.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The difference in weight between a big inch small block and a big block is like permanently carrying a plump passenger.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC/331/5 forward
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites
........ whether they be Chevy or Brand-X...
????????? ...thought those two terms meant the same thing.......
Old 12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

"The difference in weight between a big inch small block and a big block is like permanently carrying a plump passenger."

No, the difference between a big inch small block and a big block is that you've spent $$$ getting that power out of the small block....and a big block of the same displacement is just getting started.

What plump passenger weighs 50-75 lbs?

Pull that big inch small block Cobra up beside a Cobra with an FE and see which one the crowd flocks around.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The originator of the thread did not mention eye-appeal or wow-factor as his desired criteria. He was concerned about technical factors such as forced induction and rod-angle issues.
One of our machinists here at World has built his personal 385 to 557 inches. It has Blue Thunder heads and a single 4500 and puts his none-too-svelte '70 Mustang into the high 9's. It makes 740HP. He tells me it scales at 630 Lbs. as opposed to our 460 small block which weighs 525 Lbs.
Would you accept a "plump child passenger"?
Old 12-12-2006, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Yes, I will accept that.

However, fat kid, midget, or tiny adult....100lbs shouldn't even be close to noticeable in a 2300-2400lb car with 600hp.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

The other difference between a big block and a small block is you cannot get 600 ci from a small block, but it is easy money with a big block.

The weight of a big block might be around 100 lbs more which is about 4% extra in a 2500 lb car. The possible extra power (all things being as comparable as possible in the engine builds) from the additional cubic inches (say 540ci vs 427ci) might be 26% (just ratioing 540/427)...

So, it is clear that the detriment of the extra 4% in weight is easily outweighed by the benefit of the extra 26% in power by going from a 427 small block to a 540 big block.

Tough to argue with those numbers!

There is (still) no replacement for displacement
Old 12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

IF you are going in a straight line...
Cranky (and several others) can give us the dynamics of road racing a sports car (which is what Cobra was primarily designed to be). 26% more power may frequently not equate to lower lap times.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1421
Not Ranked     

Manowar:

"We offer a 460 Windsor small block called Man O'War Limited which gives comfortably over 600HP. It runs on pump gas and has a 2 year warranty."

Does 'limited' mean it will be available for a limited time only? Also, are you saying the weight difference between your limited Windsor and a 460 BB is 100lbs?

Can you PM me with a price quote for that engine.

Thanks