SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley- 390 FE, 4 speed toploader, 3.50's
Not Ranked     
Default Refurbishing a harmonic balancer?

Alright, it was my fault. I was apparently thinking of something other than removing the harmonic balancer on my 390 while doing it, and about pulled the outer ring off the inner piece. The rubber is somewhat messed up to begin with, but this just makes it worse.

I know that with the crank and cam in the correct position, the pointer should point at 0*, so I am sure it can be slid back on, BUT...is there anyone who can replace the rubber insert with a new one, then put the two pieces together properly aligned, or is my only option to basically go with an aftermarket balancer?

I have been looking at the Professional Products FE balancer, but they are 7.5" in diameter rather than 6.5". I have read of troubles with clearance on the timing pointer and the water pump pulley. BTW, I will be running a single groove pulley for alternator only.

So, who can rebuild them? anyone? Or is the bigger aftermarket balancer in my future?

Thanks for any help.
Greg
Old 01-22-2007, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

http://members.aol.com/damperdoc/
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 01-22-2007, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I think you told me your engine came out of a car and then went into the pick up truck. Be aware that truck engines were externally ballanced and cars were internal on the 390. The 428 or 3.98 stroke engines were all externally ballanced. I'm not positive if the FE weighted both the damper and the flywheel, on externally ballanced engines. The point is that you have to watch as both type of dampers may be out there.

In general sense you are using new pistons, the ballance should be re-done. That should be done with both the damper and the flywheel in place.

I would not trust a repared damper, if you can find anyone to do it. I saw one explode in a pick up truck. It was real ugly.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would not trust a rebuilt one, go for new and good luck.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Anthony. I checked on the FE forum as well, and the general consensus is that the P.P. balancer is actually for my particular application. I then called two "companies" on E-bay...one guy was a jerk, and the other guy I talked to said it did not come with a timing pointer. I then called Professional Products, and the guy said they are all shipped with the pulley and pointer. So in other words, this Ebay guy was literally removing them from the box, and selling them seperate. LOL

Olddog- Yes, it's out of a car, but that is something I really did not think of. At any rate, I have decided to go with Fowler machine, and plan to take everything to him so it can all be balanced.

At any rate, I ended up ordering the balancer from a place in Norco, Cali. I should have it by Saturday at the latest. Hopefully, everything will work out.

Thanks for the replies,
Greg
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HM-2027 / 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I find the timing pointer missing interesting. I just bought a PP SFI rated one off ebay. I'm expecting to find a pointer in the box as everyone says they come with. It's not here yet and there is no mention of a pointer in the auction. So guess I'm screwed possibly. Great. I bought mine from Racers Outlet. I'll have to wait until it arrives and see.

G.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

G- Well, I didn't get the SFI approved one, as my 390 will not be turned to 10K RPM...But I purchased the #80009 damper from a speed shop in Norco, Cali. I got it in the mail a few days ago. The damper looks pretty good, and it comes with a single groove pulley (what I need), a spacer for an aftermarket pulley, and the timing pointer.

I think its pretty cheap to advertise something on your website as "low prices due to moving- don't expect these prices after we move" or something like that. Yea, it sounds appealing at first, but after you pay $10 for the pointer, plus shipping and handling on the thing, well, you get the idea. It's not so cheap afterall.

As with anything on Ebay, buyer beware.

Greg
Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Greg thanks for the info. That's good to know. I've bought from this guy before and he's been ok with me. So I'll see what I get and go from there. I'll report back on this.

Thanks!

G.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did a little reading on FordFE.com. I saw if no timing pointer is in the box to call PP directly and then send/fax a copy of the invoice and they will send me one. Seems a few guys had this happen and were sent new pointers at no cost.

G.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update!!!....

Well just opened the box for the balancer and it DID come with a timing pointer! Big thumbs up for Racers Outlet on this!! The SFI version from them is really stout! Great price too! So I guess I did ok.

G.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool. Glad to hear it. I havent went back and looked to see who the two places I spoke with was, but at any rate, i'm glad you got it. The cheaper one that I got looks very stout as well, and is much beefier than the factory one. I am anxious to see if the provided spacer works with an aftermarket billit pulley.

Greg
Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep I don't think we can go wrong with these Greg. Both are excellent parts. And I'm happy I don't have to wild goose chase a pointer. I hope the spacer works for you. Good luck!!

Glenn.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965 GT350, 1967 GT500
Not Ranked     

This thread caught my eye because I too need a balancer rebuilt, except that mine is for a 428 SCJ, so it is not easily replaced. Did anyone find a source to rebuild a balancer? I know I saw one out there somewhere, but I cannot figure out who it was...
Mike
Old 02-06-2007, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

www.damperdoctor.com

G.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

LOL just noticed Anthony posted the same link above. I've never used them but have heard good things from the guys who have.