SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Brake upgrade for front and rear Jaguar system

Does anyone know of a decently priced brake upgrade kit for Jaguar front and Jaguar inboard mount rear brake system? I'm looking for upgraded calipers and rotors, I can't spend 1K per end. Anything good but cost effective? If not I'll just keep what I have. Does anyone have anything good but used? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have seen Volvo calipers on the Jag fronts. That was almost a bolt on deal, I think from an early 240??
Old 02-11-2007, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up jag brakes

doug check ebaymotors item#280081597847 its a wilwood caliper upgrade for xke , around $750.00. check concours west for rear upgrade (360) 274-3373 or check their web site. check ebaymotors item #320080003971 its a contempory cobra check the pictures of the engine bay it has the stay rods for the radiator, its a howe radiator like the one i told you about i will send you my old ones if you want them. log on to prothane bushings they have all the bushings for the xke, there all red, top, bottom, sway bar and links for about $130.00, use there numbers on summits web site and order from them
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know how you do it - you come up with more leads and info in a night than I can in a week. Thanks again for all the great stuff!
Doug
Old 02-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, I see the radiator support rods you're talking about. Thanks for the offer, but they won't work for me. I'm going to put in a new radiator and lay it down a bit like the originals and the ERA's. I'm going to look now for the Prothane site. Many thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1981 CONTEMPORY COBRA, 351C
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up radiator alteration

Doug i made a drawing of my radiator after i altered the brackets so it could tilt back and faxed it to howe to price a new one, check the inside of your body where the radiator fits it has a slanted stop for the radiator to fit up aginst it. if you have access to a fax i will send it to you. the fan motors are the same ones that the finishline sells, check out brent blessinger on the unique cobra forum site this is what i plan on duplicating for the front fans i will send you the templet of the aluminum bracket it should fit your car.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccx1984
Doug i made a drawing of my radiator after i altered the brackets so it could tilt back and faxed it to howe to price a new one, check the inside of your body where the radiator fits it has a slanted stop for the radiator to fit up aginst it. if you have access to a fax i will send it to you. the fan motors are the same ones that the finishline sells, check out brent blessinger on the unique cobra forum site this is what i plan on duplicating for the front fans i will send you the templet of the aluminum bracket it should fit your car.
I went into the Unique forum - I guess "Brent" is Brent Blessinger? He's the only Brent I see there. Where are the galleries in that forum? I don't see a place where they can post pictures.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Curious why you think the stock Jag rear inboard brakes NEED up-grading? Being inboard the biggest problem your likley to encounter during RACING conditions is extreme heat. Larger brakes may help some, but will only delay the inevitable if your racing. The stock brakes, might change pads only, are really quite adequate for all but the most punishing environments.

I'd be more concered with how to get some air scoops rigged up to keep them from melting the differential seals, overheating the rear end oil and such. Changing pads and bleeding the rear (which is critical if your racing) is a real nightmare with inboards. On the ERA the panel behind the seats can be removed to gain access, if not for that even bleeding them is dam near impossible!

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-12-2007 at 11:44 PM..
Old 02-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
Curious why you think the stock Jag rear inboard brakes NEED up-grading? Being inboard the biggest problem your likley to encounter during RACING conditions is extreme heat. Larger brakes may help some, but will only delay the inevitable if your racing. The stock brakes, might change pads only, are really quite adequate for all but the most punishing environments.

I'd be more concered with how to get some air scoops rigged up to keep them from melting the differential seals, overheating the rear end oil and such. Changing pads and bleeding the rear (which is critical if your racing) is a real nightmare with inboards. On the ERA the panel behind the seats can be removed to gain access, if not for that even bleeding them is dam near impossible!
Thanks, I have no experience with them. Honestly, just looking at the rear Jag brakes they seem really small and inadequate, but seeing that you have experience with them I'll just go with the rears as is and see how they do.

I have the entire interior out of the car right now. I'm wondering if I shouldn't somehow cut neatly done access panels into the rear bulkhead for brake service.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

The Jag rear brakes are fine as far as size is concerned. Keep in mind the jag brakes were designed to stop a 4000lb. performance sedan so will easily stop a cobra.

Being inboard they are right in line to absorb heat being pushed down the transmission tunnel. Furthermore, excessive heat from competition driving will lead to premature failure of the driveshaft oil seals. Ventilated rear rotors will solve the heat soak problem to the diff seals and keep the rear brakes working longer in hard driving.

Ventilated rotors are available from here in Aussieland. I got mine from here: http://www.oztion.com.au/buy/auction.aspx?itemid=705868.

These folks have been selling these brakes for a long time and the kit contains everything you need.

Regarding bleeding, replace the caliper bleed nipple with a tube fitting and take a bleed tube from the caliper out to bleed nipples at a handy location on each side of the car. Just make sure it is above (higher) than the caliper. I've seen these lines in both solid brake tubing (preferred) and also in flex braided line.

You can obtain a remote bleed kit from here. http://www.ward-engineering.co.uk/index.htm
Bottom of the page is a small reference to it.

Cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 02-13-2007 at 06:16 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 12 V cooling fan mounted in the trunk that keeps the inboard Wilwood brakes cool and after 12 years of open tracking the seals are original.
I also have remote brake bleeding lines attached to the rear frame. Two per side for the Wilwood calipers. I don't have to even jack up the rear to bleed brakes.
Without the fan my brakes would overheat in 10 minutes with the fan I have run for an hour open tracking without loss of the rear brakes.

BTW the front brakes are 6 piston Wilwood Superlights with 12.19 rotors and cooling ducts.

You can't go fast on a roadcourse without good brakes.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hey RACER X #99, Any idea of the part numbers for the 6 piston Wilwood Superlights and the 12.19" rotors.

Thats just what I need for the front.

Cheers
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rebel.
Sorry but I have no idea where the paperwork for my brake setup is. I packed that stuff up last year and it is buried in the garage someplace. Go to the Wilwood site and they have all the dimensions for all the different calipers and hats and rotors listed.

http://www.wilwood.com/

I do know they make a narrow version of the Superlights to fit inside some of the 15" wheels.

RD
Old 02-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So why do you need 4 or 6 piston calipers? Why not one? Brake modulation, pedal feel, more control of 'impending lockup', thats the biggest reason multi piston calipers are better.