SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 351 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default 351W bypass hose

I am in the process of adding on an old style expansion tank to my 351W. The thermostat housing on the tank does not allow me to use the bypass hose that connects to the water pump. Is it necessary to have the bypass hose? Thanks for your replies in advance.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The bypass hose keeps water circulating through the block while the thermostat is closed. It allows for a more even warm up without hot spots.

I would drill a hole on the top of the intake manifold , just behind the thermostat. Then connect that hole to the water pump. That will be your bypass hose.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoSEAL
I am in the process of adding on an old style expansion tank to my 351W. The thermostat housing on the tank does not allow me to use the bypass hose that connects to the water pump. Is it necessary to have the bypass hose? Thanks for your replies in advance.
Yes if you are using a Thermostat. No if you replace the thermostat with a restrictor plate with a suitably sized orifice.

Jac Mac
Old 09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I added an expansion tank to my Windsor (pics in my gallery) and with a couple of 90 degree joints was able to keep the bypass hose.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 09-23-2007 at 05:06 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks again for the ideas. Bob, I didn't see any pics in your gallery that shows your set up. I am kind of slow and good pics would be a great help. I want the easiest way to go here, with the slightest modification .
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's an old saying, "two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left" (especially in Cleveland). Basically what I did was to take three 90 degree plastic couplers (joints) and heater hose and plumbed the bypass from the pump to the manifold. It's all buried under the tank.

Bob

Last edited by Bob In Ct; 09-23-2007 at 07:36 PM..
Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, thanks for the clarification. Did you have to modify your tank thermostat housing?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bobcowan, In reply to your solution. I notice that approx. 2" behind the thermostat housing there is a 1/2" stainless bolt. Would this be an alternate sight of hooking the hose to the water pump instead of drilling? When I got this car there was a small piece of heater hose that was capped off at this point. I removed the hose and replaced it with the stainless bolt just to clean up the engine some. If this would work I could avoid drilling. Thanks, Dave
Old 09-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put it in a couple of years ago. I think some metal had to be filed away here and there. Tony Aprile, can you add anything here?

Bob
Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Dave, on my 428 there is a hole in the manifold about in the area you describe that is suitable for running hose to a cockpit heater/defroster. I don't know if it is the same on a small block, but if so, I don't think it will suit your purpose.
steve
Old 09-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
That location is where the heater hose was on my 351 stroker and would not work as a bypass hose. Best to use some method of connecting to the bypass outlet even if you have to go to a machine shop and have a new angled fitting machined.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bobcowan, In reply to your solution. I notice that approx. 2" behind the thermostat housing there is a 1/2" stainless bolt. Would this be an alternate sight of hooking the hose to the water pump instead of drilling?
That's normally used for a heater hose port. But you can also use it for a bypass port. Put in a 90* heater hose fitting and run it down to the water pump.

If your water pump has threaded ports, this would be a good place for AN fittings and hose.

Last edited by bobcowan; 09-24-2007 at 08:28 AM..
Old 09-24-2007, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

When mounting the expansion tank and thermostat, could I just drill a few holes in the thermostat and just plug the water pump fitting that would lead to the thermostat housing? This would save me from making a lot of modifications.

Bob Cowan, The water pump does have threaded ports.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you're going to be mostly street driving, and year round use, you really should have a functioning thermostat. Makes the car a lot easier to live with.

All you need to do is run a line from two existing ports, not a big deal. Might as well do it now, instead of later. I would use AN lines, but heater hose will work just as well. Probably wouldn't cost you more than $15.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for everyones input. Had everything figured out and the expansion tank sits about an inch to high. Can't shut the hood. Any ideas on modifying the expansion tank so it can fit. Or I may make somebody a great deal on a new 351W expansion tank.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I've got the same problem with mine. First, the carbs wouldn't fit under the hood, got a bigger hood scoop. Then the expansion tank wouldn't fit under the hood. I'm planning to have the tank mount shortened by about one inch and place rubber spacers between the frame and body. Hopefully that will cure the hood problems. I'll let you know.
steve
Old 09-25-2007, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve, who are you going to shorten the tank? I was thinking about taking it to Galloway radiator downtown if they could even do it. I still want to use the tank if I can get it lowered as much as possible for it to fit. Maybe a sharp hack saw would do the job! The tank looked good when I put it on the car, just a little tall.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Steve, who are you going to shorten the tank? I was thinking about taking it to Galloway radiator downtown if they could even do it. I still want to use the tank if I can get it lowered as much as possible for it to fit. Maybe a sharp hack saw would do the job! The tank looked good when I put it on the car, just a little tall.
I'll send you a PM