SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default what is the angle of an FE intake manifold?

I have a Dove replica of a production Tunnel Wedge intake manifold for a Ford 427 FE. What is the angle difference between the engine block (heads ,valvecovers,etc.) and the carbruetor mounting flanges? I'm concidering buying wedge plates to correct that problem. I understand they were often used on boats. Anyone know of a source for those wedge plates?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did some searcing my self and the Moroso site mentioned that some forward incline is desired to control fuel levels during acceleration. They were offering a 5° wedge plate. So as I understand they were intent on a 5° forward tilt. Pricey little things I thought 39.95 was a lot but that appears to be the only bargan. I found 7° 8° and 12° wedges on boat sites. Anyone tried any of these wedges?
Old 09-14-2008, 03:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A reason for the carbs set at different angles

Michael C Henry Some one told me years ago about no changing the angles on the carbs for 2 reasons. First was dirty air getting to the back carb. What I mean is the air flow over the first carb to the second carb is turbulent. This is way it sits up taller. I'm sure the Ford engineers spent alot of time in dyno cells working this out. Like you said the second reason was fuel bowl not overfilling under hard acceration. If you go on the FE forum, there are a couple of the olders guys that have and know just about everything that was tested and tryed on the FE motors. Dave S. John V. start with these 2. Rick L.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You have missed the concept, my engine is not at the original designed angle (it sitting almost level front to back). So now a production manifold is not at the as designed angle. I measured the carbs setting at about 6° or 7° downward in front. They are both in the same plane. Using the wedges, I intended to lift the fronts of the carbs putting them allmost level but in different planes with rear being a little higher than the front. The smallest wedge was Moroso 5° wedge plate. Then, at the Moroso site, they discuss that the wedges were intended to tip the carbs forward to control the gasoline levels under acceleration ( probably drag racing). So for now, the 5° wedges would bring the carbs back to allmost level , but according to their intent that isn't desired either. For this and other reasons, I think the electronic mutliport fuel injection would have been a better choice. But for now, I have this inline dual four barrel setup, and probably will continue.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

According to sources I use, the tilt angle (power angle) of a stock intake manifold is usually between 4-5 degrees. There is a handy little tool that will accurately measure the existing angle while the motor is installed in your car. Go to Home Depot and buy an inexpensive magnetic base angle finder. This gauge reads 0 degrees when it is perfectly level. Place it on the carb mounting surface of the intake and the gauge will read out the angle in degrees that exists. Then you will know how many degrees you need to correct. I assume that you are running Holley carbs and we all know that Holleys like to run level. Further, we all know that Cobra engines are not installed with a significant tilt to the rear in order to avoid dragging the bell housing on the ground.

By the way, an old mechanic once told me that the main reason for the downward tilt of the motor was only to make the transmission tunnel in rear wheel drive vehicles lower especially for the rear passenger compartment.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 09-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Understand that FE intakes vary dependant upon the car they were originally installed in. Early 60's Galaxies had the engine installed with a very noticable angle towards the rear. Thunderbirds were almost level. Therefore the angle of the carb mounting plate will vary. Using a C3AE 4V intake in a T-Bird requires the use of an angled spacer plate (Ford used such a plate and it was heated by water from the outlet atop the front of the intake that then routed to the heater core).

Mustangs and Fairlanes had almost level mount engines, the point being that your intake may require an angled spacer to reach the correct mounting plane (slightly rising at the rear).

Aftermarket intakes are all over the board dependant upon what car they were designed for. The "XE" intakes on the GT40 MK II and the MK 4s were almost level IIRC.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 09-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

Cobras originally mounted the engine and tranny at a 2.5 deg angle just as a ref. I think that put the carb flange level on a couple that I've done.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
I understand they were often used on boats. ?
Yes, they were used on boats, most freqently as anchors as most FE's were once the rods blew a hole in the block so you could hook a chain thru

Coulda used on on my trout fishing trip..that river was really ripping..slipped once and damn neer drowned

McVette
Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

ford intake mechanical drawings,

i have the original ford intake drawings if you want them they are too large of
file size to post send me an email and i will pass them along

fred