Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2005, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     
Default "New" Cobra in Atlanta

I just joined club cobra. My brother bought a Classic Roadsters kit in 1992. My other brother and I just finished it up a few weeks ago at my brothers place in Oregon and I'll be driving it from Oregon to Marietta this week. Should be a fun trip!

My brother built the motor about 10 years ago - it is a 408 CI Celvor with the 2V Cleveland heads. We also put a T56 6 Speed tranny in it. I am active in the autocross scene so plan to drive it hard whenever I can.

Mike Taylor
Old 05-21-2005, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Picture..

Here is a picture...
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

Mike, nice looking car! Let us know how that big Clevor performs.

Welcome to the club, and you probably noticed there are quite a few CR owners running around. Good luck on the cross country trip.

John
Old 05-22-2005, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Atlanta group - be sure to post the details of your trip.

Randy
Old 05-22-2005, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Randy,

I sure will! Just got to brother's house in Oregon. Monday will change all fluids, give the Cobra a good going over as it only has about 400 miles on it. Then hit the road Tuesday for the 3300+ mile trip back to Atlanta via Wisconsin. No top - should be fun! Will be caravaning with my brother's 2001 'Vette convertable as far as Wisconsin. My 12 year old son is riding shotgun - should be a memorable trip!

Mike
Old 05-22-2005, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The ultimate road trip
Old 05-23-2005, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

NUTS!!!

You better take some wet weather gear, rainX, towels, etc ... and thats on TOP of your little toolbox of totally necessary list of tools.

Good luck, but you're a nut. Hollar when you get back in Cobb Co. I'd like to take a look at her.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #756 , '66 gt-350
Not Ranked     
Default Welcome aboard.

We look forward to seeing your new toy. You are putting more miles on this one trip than alot of our fellow members do in a year ( or more) . Drive carefully....

rob
Old 05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 396W Southern Automotive Stroker, Custom 8.8 by Fabrication Concepts
Not Ranked     

I don't mean to rian on your parade, but Bud is right, you are nuts! Cross country in a convertable with no top and new motor that has not been broken in will be an adventure to say the least. Best of luck from a fellow cobra owner just up the road when you get here!
Matt
Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

U are all right - I am a little nuts! At least I am with another vehicle for the first 2000 miles, and all 3 of us brothers are gearheads -we did all the work on the car between the 3 of us.

I figure the open top can't be worse than the motorcycleists that do the cross country thing. We have good rain gear and a decent tool box with us. And luckily we are not in any big hurry,, so if we need to spend an extra day or two sorting out he car on the road it is not the end of the world...

Now, time to get the trans back in the car. Dropped it out this morning to make sure everything looked OK. Decided to replace the pilot bearing (an old bronze thing) with a real pilot "needle" bearing. Hoepfully will go back in OK and we can hit the road in the morning!

So yes - I agree - we are a bit nuts to take a newly finished car with about 500 miles on it cross country - but it will be sure to be a very memprable trip for one reason or another!!! Hopefully it will be memorable for the GOOD reasons!

FYI - I live in NW Cobb county - near where all the Due West Roads meet. And I work in Alpharetta.

Later!

Mike
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Mike the world thought Columbus was nuts - Go for it - I'll buy you a beer when you get home. Nuts my arss

Randy
Old 05-23-2005, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by djt

FYI - I live in NW Cobb county - near where all the Due West Roads meet.
Wow - you're probably less than 1/2 mi from mzhun now matter how you slice it - and I drive thru the Due West intersection everyday - even in the Cobra. Definitely hollar! We need to get mzhun motivated and back on the road!!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I live just off Midway Rd. between Due West and 120. Surprised I've never seen your Cobra - as I don't remember seeing any near my house.

New pilot bearing is in crank, clutch back on, and the T56 trans is back in. Did a quick test drive and everything sounded and felt good. Will leave tmw (Tuesday) at about 9AM on the journey. Mornings are still chilly here in the mountains - 30 degrees this morning.

I may be able to post some pics. along the way if anyone is interested....

Mike
Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Made it to Mountain Home, Idaho - about 500 miles for the day. The Cobra ran great! The high desert in south central Oregon is spectacular. We were on the "back" roads - some ran for miles as far as you could see. The Cobra cruises comfortably at 85-90 mph. I really need to change the rear end gear as 6th gear was not very usable. Spent most of the day cruising in 5th gear. The weather was great - about 70 degrees and clear blue skies all day.

Hopefulyl will get to Yellowstone by tommorrow evening so we can see the park the next morning.

later!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 396W Southern Automotive Stroker, Custom 8.8 by Fabrication Concepts
Not Ranked     

Keep the updates coming so that I can live vicariously through you while I am in total rebuild. Look under my "engine hoist" thread if you want a run down...
You are right around the corner and we will definately be getting togther this summer. I am going to be ready to drive the wheels off this thing once it is done, but heck, that is a single outing when Bud is present!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You da man Mike! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Day 2...

Day 2: From Moutain Home, ID to West Yellowstone, MT - 316 miles. This was a "short" day but wanted to end up in West Yellowstone so that we could see Yellowstone the next day. We spent all day again on 2 lane roads. The roads though Idaho were very scenic and a lot of fun! let teh Cobra strech it's legs a bit on some of the deserted 2 lane roads. Cruised for quite some time at 100 MPH -- the car was very comfortable at that speed.

Still no car issues - the CObra is running flawlessly!
Old 05-28-2005, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Day 3

Day 3: West Yellowstone MT to Wall, SD (600 miles)

Another great day! Sunny skies like the days 1 and 2. Went though Yellowstone Park, saw Old Faithfull and the mud pots, a lot of Bison and Elk. Crossed the Continental Divide - there was snow along teh side of the road.

left Yellowstone and stopped by a riiver for a break. Went down to the river and a Bison was taking a nap. Passed through Cody Wy (still on 2 lane roads) where it was 70 degrees. Then went up into the Big Horn Mountains via Granite Pass (9033 feet). It was snowing on top of the mountians! When coming back doen turned the car off and coasted for 8 miles or so! Finally hit tjhe interstate highway near Laramie, WY. Then drove into the night for a few hours and stayed at Wall, SD ( a few blocks form Wall Drugstore).

Another great day for the Cobra - still running flawlessly!
Old 05-28-2005, 01:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Day 4

Day 4: Wall, SD to Marshall, WI (near Madison) 725 miles

Well, the good weather had ot end sometime,a nd did it ever change today. 40 MPH winds from the north were brutal. The ear plugs, winter coats and gloves came in very handy! The it started to rain. SO today was a day to make some miles and try to drive out from under the bad weather. A few times it was raining hard and there were 40+ MPh side winds.

Stopped for gas near Rochester, MN and came across a small car show. So we stopped in and the Cobra really drew a crowd. Everyone was amzed at our "Journey". Another Cobra guy was there but didn't have his car there. His buddies sure gave him a hard time about not driving his car enough!

Ran into the 1st Cobra issue: The wipers would not shut off. They finally "stalled" when the winshield got to dry. We pulled over and disconnectred the wiring. Then it started to rain agfain, but we had applied a new coat of RainX so continued to drive with no wipers.

Finally broke out of weather north of Madison and got to my Sister's house at 11 PM. It was a 13 hour day on the road!
Old 05-28-2005, 01:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Too Cool

Randy