Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster II
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel Injection suggestions

I have a 4.6L that I'm looking at changing to fuel injected. Does anyone know anything about Powerjection III? Any suggestions on different solutions?

Thanks,

Krewton
Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

OK you stumped me. A 4.6L Modular Ford was EFI from birth. You might want to give a lot more information on what it is you have and what you want to accomplish.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The engine is a Teskid block 6 bolt main (aluminum bock) It has been bored .030, fitted with new-h-beam rods arp rod bolts, sealed power pistons with coated skirts, 5cc dish should have 9.5 compression. The crank is standard on the rod and mains. The heads are from a 2001 mustang cobra, they have been reworked (valve job and milled for true) springs checked etc. This is a 4.6L 281. Stock this engine is fuel injected, but I'm having trouble finding a stock 03/04 Cobra aluminum intake, injectors and plentum. I certainly want the performance, but would like to keep a nice look. I've seen many setups on regular mustangs and other 4.6L engines, but the intake is plastic and it the big throttle body style.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile 4.6 motor

try the FFR site, the 4.6L build forum. They should have more info on your motor and parts.

Dwight

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45
Old 10-04-2009, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

i've had a powerjection III in the for sale section for a while now. bought it and decided to use a carb. probably no more then 30 min. run time and $300 less then new. looks like i'm just up the road from you.

http://www.clubcobra.com/classifieds...uct=2264&cat=4
Old 10-04-2009, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Sean Hyland wrote an excellent book on the Modulars around 2003. I don't know if it has been updated.

That book lists a SVO offered by Ford in 1998. There was a 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt intake that is similar.

There were several Lincolns with 32V heads and aluminum intakes. The runner diameters are a little smaller to produce torque in the lower to mid rpm range. I would think these would be easy to come by, but maybe not what you are looking for.

I have seen pictures of some that look like the old time stack injection systems. It looks great, but I recall the prices in the crazzy range.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     

What about Edelbrocks Vic. Jr. manifold, P/N 28385. Here: http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...efi_ford.shtml

I'm considering their XT manifold/ injection system. But then I see I'll need a Vic Jr. too use the RPM potential... And a sequential injection system, so maybe their "Pro tuner Victor or Super Victor" is usuable, for your application as well?

RuneS
Old 10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

You will want to get some help here , there are several design changes on the DOHC fords from 1998 to 2003, you need a true DOHC cobra freak to help.

we have professionally never seen a DOHC install that went 110% smoothly , they are ripe for problems.

With that said, some people have successfully installed the on the FF cars, and they ( that forum ) may be able to provide better technical directions and vendors for systems to support it.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Decided on a 2003 Cobra MARAUDER intake, injectors, throttlebody, mass airflow, and wiring harness. Still need to find an ECU or something aftermarket to control. Appreciate the input. I have a couple people helping that should hopefully insure the engine build goes as planned. Any suggestions on getting ECU?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewton View Post
The engine is a Teskid block 6 bolt main (aluminum bock) It has been bored .030, fitted with new-h-beam rods arp rod bolts, sealed power pistons with coated skirts, 5cc dish should have 9.5 compression. The crank is standard on the rod and mains. The heads are from a 2001 mustang cobra, they have been reworked (valve job and milled for true) springs checked etc. This is a 4.6L 281. Stock this engine is fuel injected, but I'm having trouble finding a stock 03/04 Cobra aluminum intake, injectors and plentum. I certainly want the performance, but would like to keep a nice look. I've seen many setups on regular mustangs and other 4.6L engines, but the intake is plastic and it the big throttle body style.
Krewton,

Your search for a 03-04 Cobra manifold etc will produce a part you can not use. The 03-04 Cobra's were all supercharged. Your compression ratio is somewhat low for a N/A engine and high for a supercharged version of the motor. You would not damage the motor in N/A form but you would detonate it in S/C form.

You're probably looking for the Mach I intake manifold and related paraphernalia. One of the better websites for ModMotors is Modular Fords (http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=17) You will find a wealth of knowledge on your engine choice over there.

With respect to the EFI you will be far ahead of the curve if you keep the OEM unit and use an aftermarket tuning product like the Sniper or SCT ProRacer products. Check out my gallery and you will see some of the stuff you may want to consider for your engine including a triple pump setup using Ford GT fuel pumps.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually, the 03 Marauder and 01 Cobra are exactly the same. Here is a shot of it mounted on the engine. Still have to send the chip off for reprogramming. Then we can look at some of the chip upgrades.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...79401905795554

Still a ways away from having it running, but will keep you posted.

Krewton
Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Actually, the 03 Marauder and 01 Cobra are exactly the same. Here is a shot of it mounted on the engine. Still have to send the chip off for reprogramming. Then we can look at some of the chip upgrades.

http://picasaweb.google.com/levingsk...79401905795554

Still a ways away from having it running, but will keep you posted.

Krewton
Krewton,

You are correct about the 03 Marauder and 01 Cobra manifolds. They also match the 03/04 MACH I manifold but they do not match the 03/04 Cobra manifold.

The 03/04 Cobra manifold exclusively mounts a supercharger and does not look anything like the manifold you want. The manifold you see below is an 03/04 Cobra intake manifold. If that

is what you want, then you will need a supercharger to put on top of it. If the manifold you are looking for is the one in your last posting then you might have some additional luck by including MACH I intakes in your search.

Most of the time you can find good used ones for $300 - $400. If you want brand new, as in a take off, they are much harder to find and can go upwards of $600 or more depending on how proud of it the owner is.

Ed

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed,
Not wanting to go the supercharger route, as I'm sure my wife will occationally drive.

I found this for sale http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-1-intake.html

I'm not sure what this gets me from the intake that I have mounted on my egine, which is the 01 Cobra intake and manifold. I don't know if I was being clear or not, but my current setup is off of the 01 Cobra. In researching, it appeared to be the same as the 03 Marauder. That being said, shouldn't what I have work?

Krewton
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ed,
Not wanting to go the supercharger route, as I'm sure my wife will occationally drive.

I found this for sale http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-1-intake.html

I'm not sure what this gets me from the intake that I have mounted on my egine, which is the 01 Cobra intake and manifold. I don't know if I was being clear or not, but my current setup is off of the 01 Cobra. In researching, it appeared to be the same as the 03 Marauder. That being said, shouldn't what I have work?

Krewton
Krewton,

What you have is as good as (actually better than) what you saw on SVT for your purposes. The only thing you don't have is the polishing. If that's important to you then get a couple of six packs of beer and a pizza. In a few hours yours will look the same. What you do have that the SVT piece may well not have is good low speed throttle response. Once you start to go after porting, high lift, long duration camshafts and all the usual go fast racing stuff you will have a race engine trapped in a street car. The engine won't be happy and most importantly the driver won't be happy!

You will find a common thread of wisdom here on Club Cobra regarding engine builds. Most experienced street driven Cobra owners look for good bottom end and mid range performance with the engine power peak occurring by or before 6000 rpm. When you put your power peak up much above 6000 rpm you are moving your engine characteristics closer and closer to a high rpm race engine.

The race type engine will be temperamental, more fuel sensitive than you will care for, foul plugs at low rpms and consume gas at a rate you can not even begin to imagine - because it is a race engine. When you drive anywhere except on the highway you will keep it in a lower gear to keep the engine in its "sweet spot" rpm wise. If you don't it will begin to start bucking and farting and in general produce an unhappy driving experience.

When you finally surrender and bring it up into its rpm sweet spot you will discover the end of your side pipe is only 24 inches from your left ear. After trying various types of ear plugs and shooting ear muffs you will finally surrender and rebuild the engine the way you should have done it the first time.

Check out Excalibur (Ernie) on this site and look back at his experiences. Better yet PM him and listen to what he says - it'll save you a lot of time and money. By the way Ernie's first engine was a take no prisoners 427 Tunnel Port with dual quads.

For what its worth, one of the endearing attributes of the supercharged 4.6 is the exceptional street manners it has. They idle at 700 rpm and produce torque and HP like a race engine but do it at all rpms without the usual bad manners the race engine has. They are eminently drivable by wives and do not do crazy things like bucking, farting or overheating the way race engines do. Did I mention they get 25 mpg on 91 octane pump gas that you can get anywhere and still produce 600+ RWHP?

- just a thought ...

Ed

<Begin Edit> I mis-spoke on Ernie's engine it was a high riser not a tunnel port but the drivability issues are unchanged <End Edit>

Last edited by eschaider; 10-14-2009 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: English - its only my first language