Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Installed new Holley Carb

I finally replaced my 4777 DP with a new 82651 DP. Both are 650 CFMs but there seems to be a world of difference. The install was easy since both where 650 DPs. The initial settings from Holley seem good. I used a vaccum gauge to set the idle mixture.

I was planning to continue to run the 4777 and remove the choke tower but I think I made the better decision.

Any things to check besides gas leaks? I will pull the plugs later to check the main jetting / running mixture.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Floats

Of course you should set your floats by removing the sight plugs. What will be interesting is seeing how many forum members do that with the engine running, how many do it with the engine off, and how many have had a fire under their hood.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Float Level

Since I have an electric pump, I checked the level with the pump on and engine off. The level was immediately below the ports. Should the engin be running or is that only required if you have a mechanical pump?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Having an electric pump is cheating. Holley says to do it with the engine on and running, but most of us have seen an occasional fire, so a lot of us do it with the engine off so we spill as little gas on to the primaries as possible. We'll probably get a couple of posts that say the only way to correctly do it is with the engine on and running, and wiggling on the mounts, and spilling gas on the primaries.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Typical Thread

Typical thread from the FE forum on "should I adjust my floats with the engine running or off?" http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...+fuel+bowls%29
Old 10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

I just replaced my 4160 (750 CFM) with a Barry Grant Speed Demon 750. Besides all the other advantages, it has glass float bowl sights, so I can set the float levels with the engine running and no splashing gas.

I took the jets down two steps but am not sure it was necessary. Had some detonation but discovered I had almost 25* of initial timing instead of 15* (don't ask). Backed it off to 15* initial and will see how it plays tomorrow. Much crisper throttle and none of the Holley's bogging.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Demon makes a nice carb. I set up & ran one a few years back on a BB Chev I had. It was a definite improvement over the edelbrock it replaced. The car was geared so tall that I ended up running a 600 Holley DP on the Motor. The smaller carb had much better low end response & since the engine(behind an automatic) never revved it didn't need the larger CFM. A 600ish CFM Demon would have been even better! But free is tough to argue...