Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2920 w/ Keith Craft 408
Not Ranked     
Default Feedback on Turn Key Crate Motors from the “Engine Factory” in New Jersey.

I’m in the process of purchasing a Cobra. I'm currently leaning towards a new Superformance MKIII roller. I want to install the engine and transmission myself. I’m looking for a “mid-cost” small block crate motor (something like a 351w with about 400-450 hp). I noticed the Engine Factory in New Jersey has several good looking Cobra replica turn key crate engines. I don’t see much discussion about them on this site. Anyone have any feedback regarding the Engine Factory?
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Voyager; 04-26-2010 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

My first Cobra had an EF crate 302. No problems except with the Edelbrock carb. Not well suited to these cars.

After replacing it with a double pumper and recurving the advance somewhat, the engine really woke up.

Go with the 351 and you will not be disappointed. And it gives you room to grow (408) in case you want even more power after a while.

Check out Smeding, Roush, Keith Craft and FRP. They all give you a longer warranty in case you will have the engine sitting around for a few months before you get around to starting it. My EF engine came with only a three month guaranty, and that was gone before I ever turned the key!

Last edited by jhv48; 04-26-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

A friend of mine had a EF engine go bad almost immediately. I believe in the end they made it right. I've had a FMS Windsor for 10 years with no problems.

Bob
Old 04-26-2010, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates 427 Ford FE
Not Ranked     

Engine Factory built my engine (390FE) in 2004...after install, RM seal started to leak almost immediately. Not wanting to remove the engine and send it back to EF, I went to a pro shop to get a repair done. Leak slowed down...thought I had it fixed, Leak is back...

I examined the crank journal, no oil groves on seal surface. The crank is correct rotation, but may have been machined. Will have to try a rope seal next.

Engine runs well, however, I also ended up replacing the Edelbrock Carb with a Demon as well as MSD ignition vs the standard distributor.

Wouldn't say to stay away, but would send caution.

Hope it helps!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2914 Sunset / Titanium
Not Ranked     

I have had a Performance Engineering 351w (392) in my SPF, which I installed last year. No leaks, no problems, very reasonable cost. Eric is a great guy and will answer any questions you have. They are in Ohio.

Andrei
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

KC is offering an FE for about 8-9,000. 500 horse. Thats a great deal. If you want a small block, no problem there either. With KC there is no need to question the work, it's as solid as you can get, period.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 1476 - Keith Craft 445ci, 636hp 613tq
Send a message via Skype™ to skippy
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
KC is offering an FE for about 8-9,000. 500 horse. Thats a great deal. If you want a small block, no problem there either. With KC there is no need to question the work, it's as solid as you can get, period.
Keith is building an engine for me as we talk and i can say the service so far is incredible. You only have to look up other peoples comments about Keith to know that he is a "Real Deal" and i have been watching for the last 7 years.

http://www.keithcraft.com/

Ask for Keith, Tony or Lance (even Shelly )

Good Luck..

Skip.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default You get what you pay for

Voyager Bob the only thing I will say Living in NJ, is you get what you pay for, MAYBE. If they are using new parts,I see no real problem. If they are using recyclied engines from junk yards and other places, STAY AWAY. Save your money and get a motor from one of the GUYS here that build and sell motors. KCR, Barry R, Gessford Machine, You have a good machine shop in Mannassa down there that works on alot of Ford motors. Rick L.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll put EF on the back burner for now and continue to look at others. My overall goal is to build a “street” car with balanced power, handling, and looks. I know this is going to sound crazy, but my current sports car is a highly modified Miata. After upgrading basically everything (supercharger, etc), it’s pretty entertaining to drive on the back roads. Now I want a Miata on steroids.

I assume a small block will allow the best handling. I assume a 351w will give me a decent amount of power (400ish), with room to grow. Want classic idle, but still retain reasonable drivability. My engine budget is about 8-9K.

I will continue to research engine options, starting with the folks you all mentioned above.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Gentlemen,

My overall goal is to build a “street” car with balanced power, handling, and looks. I know this is going to sound crazy, but my current sports car is a highly modified Miata. After upgrading basically everything (supercharger, etc), it’s pretty entertaining to drive on the back roads. Now I want a Miata on steroids.

I assume a small block will allow the best handling. I assume a 351w will give me a decent amount of power (400ish), with room to grow. Want classic idle, but still retain reasonable drivability. My engine budget is about 8-9K.

I will continue to research engine options, starting with the folks you all mentioned above.

Thanks,
Bob
Interesting. I too am a Miata driver. I had one of the first ones sold in the US. Uprated it with supercharger etc. My current one (1999) is pretty much stock. Great cars.

The Superformance is the other side of the sports car spectrum. Lots of power with a "heavier" feel.

I have a Ford 351w crate engine. 385 hp. One of these might fit what you are looking for. Decent power. Great driveability. Bulletproof reliability. Reasonable cost. The only downside I see is - nobody ever has enough power. 385hp sounds like a lot when you are used to a Miata, but believe me, after driving it for a while 100 more horsepower will sound like a good idea.

That said, I think my motor is a great compromise of power, driveability, reliability and cost.

Jack
Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you're building a "427" car then Keith's $8995 stroked (445ci) 390 FE would be just the ticket in adding value to your car over a small block windsor based motor. It's rated at 500HP and you'll get it all by 5500 RPMs.

If you're down at the Beach give me a shout and I'll show you one of Keith's FE beasts in person.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hi Bob,

We just took out an Engine Factory built 351 in one of the BACC members Factory Five Cobra. It was burning a quart of oil every 200-300 miles with approx 4000 miles on it. The head bolts were tightened enough to warp the cylinders, Align hone was offset, mismatched pistons and a host of other internal issues.

I required a new block and a complete new engine that was built by one of our local guys. The Engine Factory motor was junk and displayed a total lack of engine building expertise. They would do nothing to compensate the owner.

There were some references to Roush, Keith Craft, Smedding, Southern Automotive and others in this thread, I would seek out somebody other than the Engine Factory, any of the afore mentioned engine builders would be a better place to research.

Tony R.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack – saw you had a Miata while researching this forum over the weekend. Remembered your name because I have 2 Eddyline kayaks (assume you have a kayak?). The Miata is great for ripping around, but after 13 years of ownership, I need a change of pace. I am concerned about the “heavier” feel of the cobra. I’m looking at small blocks to try to mitigate some of that sensation.

Undy - Keith's $8995 stroked (445ci) 390 FE sounds incredible. Assume there are downsides to the weight, size, heat, etc? Would love to see your car. Do you ever go to the muscle car shows at New Town in Williamsburg on Saturday nights?

Tony - EF is now off the plate (my initial assessment was based on goggle/their web site). BTY – I lived in San Ramon several years ago. Nice place.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jack – saw you had a Miata while researching this forum over the weekend. Remembered your name because I have 2 Eddyline kayaks (assume you have a kayak?). The Miata is great for ripping around, but after 13 years of ownership, I need a change of pace. I am concerned about the “heavier” feel of the cobra. I’m looking at small blocks to try to mitigate some of that sensation.
I am a whitewater kayaker. I have been running whitewater for about 35 years. Mostly here in the Southeast, but plenty of trips to the Salmon in Idaho and other great rivers. Most fun was a two week trip (225 miles) down the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon. But I digress...

I don't think the "heavier" feel is a concern. But it is a fact. The steering is heavier and slower. The clutch is like going to the gym. In fact the first time I got back in the Miata after driving the Cobra I thought the clutch was broken. The effort was so low. Driving the car takes a different mindset. Like learning a new language.

But it is a great language!!

Jack
Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default B&b

Bryan Here from B&B manufacturing I have had several engines put in our cobra's from the engine Factory and have had real good luck with them, also please take a look at the monthly special from B&B a turnkey minus cobra painted any color everything complete and Installed less engine and trans, tires and wheels 19,995 you can see shots of a few of them at www.bandbroadster.com
Old 04-27-2010, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack,

White water is cool. My son loves it. Can’t imagine doing the Colorado River...Awesome.

Hard to find white water here on the Chesapeake Bay, but it makes for great exploring in the sea kayaks.

Assume you get used to the heavier feel of the Cobra, or is most of the “playing” now relegated to going basically in a straight line? Exchange the rally car turning experience for a raw, visceral straight line experience maybe?

Bob
Old 04-27-2010, 10:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Jack,

Assume you get used to the heavier feel of the Cobra, or is most of the “playing” now relegated to going basically in a straight line? Exchange the rally car turning experience for a raw, visceral straight line experience maybe?

Bob
The "playing" is not relegated to straight line. Straight line is excellent, but these cars handle well too. They are great fun in the twisties. But it is different...

The wheelbase of the Superformance is the same as the Miata - 90 inches. It is short. The car wants to turn. But it makes you work for it much harder than the Miata. Cranking the wheel in the Cobra for a couple of hours is a workout. Since the steering is slower the wheel has to move more to get the same effect. The bigger tires add to the effort. The big V8 adds to the effort, but it is deceiving. This issue is not as great as you think. These cars only weigh a little more than the Miata. The two biggest differences you will notice are:

1. The power - Exit a corner in the Miata - just nail the accelerator. Do that in the Cobra and you are off the road. Again, it is just a new fun language.

2. The steering - Slower and harder. That is the nature of these cars. A few people add power steering. To each his own, but I think that degrades the character of the car. I think I could post a time a little faster in my Miata if the road is real twisty. It is easier to be precise. The power won't help here. But if the road is curvy, but with any pieces where you can use a motor - Cobra wins.

I think I have the best of both worlds. The Cobra is the ultimate sports car to me. It is my Supercar. Since the day I got it I have not looked at another fast car and wished I could trade for it. The Miata is like putting on my Nike running shoes. Quick, nimble. Only way I could make it better is by getting a Lotus Elise.

Jack
Old 04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Voyager,
Just wondering...
Whats the registration rules for VA? Do you have to be concerned with getting a period correct engine/transmission in order to register the car? If you get a new engine from EF or Roush does the DMV make you meet emission standards for the car?
Some have had trouble getting their car on the road because of these issues.
Hope its easy for you!
Old 04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve-O,

I've only recently decided to buy a Cobra, but my initial investigations show that I should be ok here in south eastern VA. According to a new Virginia General Assembly law, kit/replica/component car buyers in Virginia can title/register their vehicles as whatever model year the replica represents. I’m going with a crate motor from a club cobra affiliated engine builder (still deciding which one). I will ensure the block meets any requirements and continue forward cautiously. Goggle your state DMV.

Bob
Old 04-28-2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I recently installed 10" slicks (road racing) on the rear and 8" slicks on the front, then ran an auto cross here locally. This is my third Cobra, with many different kinds and sizes of tires over the years. With the slicks for the first time EVER I experienced "under steer", I was shocked! On some very sharp slow speed corner I had to go deep in the throttle on the corner exit to break loose the rear and get it to come around to follow the front!!!

Substantial recent changes to my entire suspension setup, plus the slicks, obviously I have some suspension tuning to do. Goodyear yellow letter slicks, VERY sticky stuff.