Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question 302 or 351 W ?

I'm in the collecting mode for engine parts. I have the choice for a 302 or 351w. I believe the 351 is an EFI model out of a Bronco. Trying to decide between the 2. What I'm looking for as an end result is a 350-400 hp driveable engine. Any pros or cons to the 351?

John
Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Unless you're trying to make a period correct looking car (302 is same size as a 289), go for the cubes.

It's a lot easier to make horsepower with a larger engine and you get more torque as a by product. A 400hp 302 isn't unheard of, but it takes some nice parts to get it up there. A 400hp 351W is a lot easier to achieve, plus you have lots of growing room (stroke it to way up over 400 cubic inches) in the future.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

The Windsor has over an inch of extra deck height. Why build a small block (8.20) when you can have a medium block (9.48)?

Bob
Old 11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob In Ct View Post
The Windsor has over an inch of extra deck height. Why build a small block (8.20) when you can have a medium block (9.48)?

Bob
That was my question!! I'm familiar with the 260-302 engines, not so much with the 351. I'm curious as to parts interchange and availability with the 351.

John
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Parts availability for the Windsor is basically endless...but so is availability for the 302.

As far as interchange, a 351W can share almost everything with the other small blocks (non-Cleveland), with exception of the intake, oil pan, distributor, crank, rods, pistons, and a few other odds and ends.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To answer your question, 351 351 351 351 351 351 , there is no replacement for displacement.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just bought the 351. It's an EFI with a blown head gasket. i told him I didn't want the EFI so i got it for $100.00 and he's going to pull it.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Brent: I am somewhat a fan of the 351 however I prefer to have the racing version with a steel crank and smaller main journals. There is something about the OEM main size that detracts from the overall package.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

350hp to 400hp, he can just use heavy grease for the mains.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Brent: I am somewhat a fan of the 351 however I prefer to have the racing version with a steel crank and smaller main journals. There is something about the OEM main size that detracts from the overall package.
Rick, for 7000+ rpm engines, I would agree that the Cleveland mains would be a better choice. But there are thousands of big inch 3" main Windsor engines running around.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

What are the mains on a 302 and on a cleveland???

________
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

289/302 is 2.249
351c-4v,cj,Boss,HO is 2.749
351w is 3.00
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

I will chime in that, in my opinion, the 351W would make a more suitable engine for the Cobra build. First, it is easier to attain the 400 BHP mark with the 351W and with more torque at lower RPM. For all practical purposes, only the cylinder heads water pump and timing cover are interchangable with the 289/302. Performance parts for the 351W are readily available and not more expensive. Next is the fact that the 351W is much closer to the dimensions of the original 427FE than the 289/302 and, again in my opinion, fills the engine compartment better and looks better nestled in there. Third, if you decide to make your 351W appear more true to original Cobra, there are parts available to make the transformation look believable. The dual quad intake from Price Motorsports is a beautiful piece and accepts Holley carbs and original style 427FE linkage. An original 427FE fuel canister and bracket is easily adapted to the 351W (even the original lower hard fuel line fits perfectly) and, of course, my valve cover adapter plates which allow the use of 427FE pentroof valve covers on the 351W (as well as the 289/302).
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why do smaller mains help at higher rpm's, it would seam a larger bearing would be better, once again somebody please explain.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

Smaller main bearing diameter is more desirable at high RPMs. If you recall your geometry, the surface velocity of an arc increases as the radius of the arc increases at a given RPM. In other words, if you have a crank turning at 7000 RPMs, the surface of the crank journal against the bearing is traveling at a measurable rate of speed against the bearing surface. As the diameter of the journal increases, so does the actual velocity of the surface of the journal against the bearing translating into more heat and friction produced. Therefore, racing engines like to keep the diameter of the main journals as small as possible without creating a weakness in the crank.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 11-15-2010, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Yea I konw....
[IMG]

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-15-2010, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Why are there 8 sleeves?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And a 180 crank?
Old 11-15-2010, 07:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

i would build a 351w....you can get 400 HP from it without breaking the bank or your wallet....its more than enough HP to go out and get into trouble with and it will live a long time without haveing to spend your weeknights working on it to keep it running.. and if you want the looks of an FE use an FE...it dosent matter what intake you use or what valve cover adapters you use IT STILL ISNT AN FE....
Old 11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

the 3" main "see" 20% more fiction than the 2.75" main.

the 3" main is better for low rpm torque motors used in trucks and large passenger cars.

Dwight