Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     
Default 427 burning oil-another one

I read 68Pony's debacle about the seals in his FR 427, I have 1600 miles on my car now and have recently noticed a bit of gray smoke when starting and have burnt close to a qt of oil (assuming the amount between the 2 lines on the dipstick is equal to 1 qt) in approx 400 miles.

Should I be concerned? no oil is present at the tip of the sidepipes (as I believe was the case with 68Pony's car but I do see smoke on start up even when warmed up then it goes away immediately then of course the burning oil issue.

My engine is different as it is the aluminum motor with solid lifters so I was hoping to skirt this problem but now I'm not sure-thx
Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

1st thing to do is pull the plugs and analyze them.
Does yours have the Z heads? That seems to be the culprit on the ones I'm aware of with the oil problem.

I sent my engine back to Ford and am waiting to hear back from them.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dallas-yes Z heads, how long have they had your motor? How long until they fix it? Perfect timing with the weather finally here.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1723-427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

How did you find out there was a problem with the ford Z heads. When did you buy your motor?
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From Calif. 5 days to ford 5 days for repair and 5 days back I had the same problem and Ford made it right.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I will call tech line tomorrow, see what they say-maybe they are finally realizing there was/is an issue. From what I got from prior posts on this issue they were trying to deflect ownership of the problem.

I bought the car new in Dec 2011 FYI
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike that is encouraging-can I ask how they had you ship the motor? did you send the complete engine? Did you fab a crate up? Which facility do they perform the repair? thx!
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We had a crate from another motor. I shipped the whole motor with carb. and dist.so they could run it on the dyno with no excuses. Ford had yellow freight pick it up. The motor smoked from day one and used about a qt. of oil every 200-300 miles I will not mention any names but ford racing sent it to there engine builder and they told me they honed the cylinders and all new rings and bearings also a problem with the head on the drivers side that they replaced. My mechanic has another 427 windsor with 4000 miles on it with problems with the head on the drivers side. To make a long story short Ford paid for everything and now with 2500 miles on the motor it runs absolutley perfect no smoke and uses zero oil. Dyno sheet they sent says 545 h.p.@6000.rpm and torque was 535 lbs. @ 5600 rpm. Mike

Last edited by mike harter; 05-23-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Old 05-24-2012, 10:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Gary
The problem is the z heads they use rubbish guides they are to soft, also check the valve springs they were to soft on mine 90-95 pounds on seat should be around 130 good news is my problem is fixed and my mustang goes like a bat out of hell ,cost me a bit of doh though as i bought the motor from a agent there and i wasn't going to ship the engine back from here, this is a comon problem even though ford racing won't admit it, i would not recomend this motor to anyone and they have lost a few sales from here after my debacle ive done around 1600mile's since and has used no oil so happy there aswell.
Good luck with it and keep a eye on it and don't let them feed you BS about pcv issue or improper intake gasket fitting All BS from ford racing, my expeirience soured what is a great sounding motor and i loved the way it idles but still bitter.
cheers chris.

Last edited by 68pony; 05-24-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

This whole issue worries me. I have two Ford Racing engines with z-heads. A 347 crate engine in my 66 Mustang and a 427 crate engine in my Kirkham. Both have been fine so far, but they also both have less than 500 miles on them.

I'm going to start another thread about z-heads and see what the experience is to date.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 05-25-2012, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris

Glad you are over that escapade, Ford has told me to check intake bolt torque and PCV as you indicated they would. I am going thru the motions as instructed so I'll keep my eye on things, won't take long to know as this weekend Ill put some mile on it for sure.

I am with you, the motor is a beast and sounds perfect-I was skepticle about going with the solid set up but man it sounds good...if there is an issue either way I will post for sure.

Thanks all.

Gary