Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #1230/B2 445CI SBF
Not Ranked     
Default Dieseling-need input pls

Have about 400 mi on the new motor...for some reason it is running/dieseling after I shut it down-I would say 20% of the time. I lowered the idle to about 950-1000 RPM and checked timing which is 15/32. Yesterday the car was difficult to turn over, i pushed the starter button and it hesitated, then cranked over-almost like a hydro-lock situation, I don't see any fuel dipping when its shut off. Could the starter be shot with only 3,000 miles? Or are these two things related?

Thx
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Try reducing the idle and see if that cures it, 950 -1000 is pretty high for that engine. My 427 roush idles at 850 just fine. When I had it at 950, it ran on occasionally also.

A hesitant starter can be either a low battery, weak starter, poor ground or too much (or too little) initial timing. Your numbers seem fine, but try backing off the initial timing a few degrees and see if that helps. If not, try advancing it and see if that does it. If no change, then have the battery checked.

Last edited by jhv48; 10-22-2012 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Blue/White strips
Not Ranked     

Same problem on my 302.

After changing Plugs and Idling adjustments it was an bit better. Bud with hot engine it was still daer. I ordered a Timeligth und found the Timingpoint at 12-14 / 30-32. Adjusted to 18/36-38 and problen was gon.

Rico

Last edited by cobra 53; 10-22-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmmm...I figured retarding a bit would be best. Hopefully, lowering the idle a bit more will work-we will see.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

We think timing. Don't think it's where you think. Check that again.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

I say too much of the carb transfer slots are showing.

I would remove the carb and check. You might be able to open the secondaries some to allow closing the primaries some. In addition, if you have a rough enough cam to idle that fast it might be needed to drill a small hole in each of the primary butterflys to allow you to close them further.

John
Old 10-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Are you using the correct set of timing marks on the balancer?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If you are happy with your timing, my suggestion is to add an anti-dieseling solenoid to the carburettor.

You can then have a normal idle speed of 950 and 700-750 with the solenoid de-energized.
The primary closing off to the 700-750 rpm point should stop the run-on.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-26-2012 at 02:52 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Timing was off a few degrees (like Jay said I think we used the wrong mark initially)-reset it along with some carb adjustments and it seems way better at idle and so far no run on-havent had a chance to run it too much but Im feeling pretty good as it idles at 850 far better-before it just didnt sound/feel right and smelled too rich.

Now the new issue-I noticed that there was antifreeze leaking (just a small amount) from the freeze plug in front of #1-WTF??? Then noticed that the upper and lower hoses looked like they were going to explode and were really hard-and this was after the car sat overnight. I tested the cap, holds to 16#'s then realeases, my rad cap always has felt too hard to screw on to me. I backed the cap off a bit and the hoses are fine and no more leak. Has anyone had any issues with the puke tank/cap fit?

I am wondering if the cooling system being over-pressurized could have added to the whole situation? Could it create a difficulty in starting? I had a few starts that felt like the starter was bad or the batt was weak-it would take a second to turn over after I pushed the starter button.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gary,

Sounds like your cap is stacking solid, possibly a mismatch with the radiator neck.

I'd also say your system is pressuring above 16 lb, when you say the hoses were really hard.

The cap pressure rating is always the weak link to prevent radiator and welch plug failures if a head gasket failure occurs.

Something to think about.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-27-2012 at 12:44 AM..
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP01323
Not Ranked     

I am not sure how valid this is but came across a simular thread on a FF site. They stated that the cooling fan spinning down would act as a generator and would cause dieseling.