Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dyno Software?

Looking for the best bang for the buck in Dyno Software, not to exceed $100. I did a search here, not much came up. Googled and came across this but don't know if it's as good a deal as it seems.

Virtual Engine Dyno Bundle Special

Any dyno software recommendations would be appreciated, remember - budget is no more than $100, thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Engine Analyzer Plus

might break your budget but will keep you occupied for a while.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I had Virtual Engine Dyno and Dyno2000. Each program had its + and -. I had to replace a hard drive and shortly after ended up replacing the motherboard and processor. After that the Virtual Engine Dyno lost its key and wanted me to register it again. I never bothered as the Dyno2000 still worked and I kind of liked it a bit better. Keep in mind my copies are a decade old. I would expect a new version to be improved.

It's been so long since I used it, I cannot remember any specifics. I don't trust my memory on this, but I think it was a little harder to use, but had more capabilities. I recall putting in the same information on the two programs and comparing results. One of the programs consistently gave about 5% higher numbers than the other.

I hope that helps you out a little.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Virtual engine has a lot of features that might be kinda fun - for a few minutes. Do you really want a 3d picture of the engine you're planning on building? Do you plan on working with sport compact engines? In other words, do you plan on really using all of that bundle?

I use Desk Top Dyno: ProRacing Sim Individual Simulation Pacakges The cost is a little bit more than the package you quoted, $50. But you're getting ONLY the dyno software. If one restaurant sells one hamburger for $8, and another sells 4 burgers for $8, how good would you expect the $2 burger to be, compared to the $8 burger?

This program has been around for many years, and is frequently updated. No computer simulation is ever going to be dead accurate. There are too many variables in manufacturing, assembly, and tuning. But DTD has a good reputation for being pretty close.

The purpose of a good simulation is to allow you to plug in a variety of specs, and see what happens with various changes. Compare one cam against another, change cam timing, change compression, change head specs, etc. It can be very educational - and a real time waster, too.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input, I'll check them out.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I decided to go with DeskTop Dyno5, not hard on the wallet and has what I'm looking for (for now). I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction, thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
I hope this doesn't turn into an addiction.
Yea Right. Like that isn't going to happen!
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Yea Right. Like that isn't going to happen!
Well, at least I'm conscious of the pitfall, left unchecked the seemingly benign can over take one's life without one ever knowing it The Mayfield Company Homepage - Automotive Analyses