Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buddyg

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     
Default Props to an honest engine builder

I have not driven this car yet but was thinking I wanted to bump the power about 100hp / 100 ft/lb torque because that was what my last Cobra had. So I took my engine specs to a local speed shop. All they do is build motors for race cars, boats, street rods, etc... I was thinking Aluminum heads and a different cam.

He calls me and says "This motor already has Aluminum heads from Ford Racing and all the parts are high quality stuff from Ford Racing. I would drive it the way it is and see how you like it, I don't think for the money you can do much else to it."

I was like wow thanks for your honesty. I will do that and if I decide to do something different I will definitely be calling you!.

Don't see that too often so big thumbs up to Peformance Engineering in Jenison, MI
http://www.pereng.c
WardL likes this.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What a minute... isn't that what RodKnock and I told you on another thread? Drive that car, and if you need more power, upgrade to a big block.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Yes you did! This is certainly confirmation that I will do that!
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have to say I have run into more than one engine builder that could have taken some money and didn't. Its usually the guys who have been doing it along time.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Just because it has Ford Racing parts on it, doesn't mean that they are top quality.

I would agree on the point that you should drive the car and see if you're happy with it first, but if you find yourself wanting more horsepower and torque, don't let anyone tell you that it's got the best parts on it.

Those heads will be down 75-85 to a comparable set of AFR's, Trick Flows, etc.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, All aluminum small block ford.
Not Ranked     

Not knowing anything about your set up or what parts you have I would say listen to blykins. Everyones idea of racing parts is different. Before you do anything there is a whole list of things you need to check. Header tube diameter as compared to exhaust port size. Timing, head gasket thickness(check valve clearence before changing) ignition system, cam timing etc. You could make a cam change and probably pick up 50 hp.

Just becareful about putting the cart before the horse.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Just because it has Ford Racing parts on it, doesn't mean that they are top quality.

I would agree on the point that you should drive the car and see if you're happy with it first, but if you find yourself wanting more horsepower and torque, don't let anyone tell you that it's got the best parts on it.

Those heads will be down 75-85 to a comparable set of AFR's, Trick Flows, etc.
I agree with blykins, I have a ford racing 427 small block and so far with the help of blykins in supplying me with the good stuff , I have had to change the cam due to cam gear getting chewed up ( yes used steel dizzy gear as ford tech line told me to do,decided to change lifters while I was at it , didn't trust the ford racing ones) the guides were stuffed from the first time we started the engine (smoked like a chimney) and just recently blykins supplied me with new valve springs and titanium retainers , we just fitted the valve springs and my mechanic told me the original springs on there were absolute rubbish and soft as, lucky cause I plan on taking my 68 mustang down the quarter mile this weekend and it would have valve bounced like crazy, ive had issues with this motor from day 1 , brand new 427 small block crate engine from ford racing, hopefully now it is sorted , my mechanic reckons it will rev like crazy now and ill definitely feel the difference that's how bad the valve springs were, ive probably done around 12-14,000 miles on this motor , not really that much for a motor that needed that many ford racing parts replaced and this will be its first time on any track so they are street driven miles, next time blykins will be in charge of building me a engine, I live in Sydney Australia and he has been thorough in making sure I get the correct parts for this motor everything he has supplied me has been spot on, thanks Brent

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: