Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Chrome Paint

Anyone have experience with Chrome Paint? I have some ideas using multiple colors with a chrome background. Can they mix up the shade a little, like make it a darker gun metal tone? If professionally done, do you pay a premium as it needs to be near perfect or flaws will easily catch the eye. Just curious what some of you may have experienced.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 331 SB, AFR heads
Not Ranked     

I have had some experience with chrome paint, but only with model airplanes. There is a lacquer product called Alclad II that is applied over a perfect gloss black basecoat that gives the reflective properties of chrome. You can look up the information on the product on the web. However, you have to be very careful since any flaw in the basecoat will show up in the topcoat.

Different metallic shades of this paint is also available but it is extremely expensive. I am not sure where you could get similar paint to cover an automobile.

Good Luck!

John
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I sort of touched lightly on this when I couldn't believe a clearcoat option was not available for the polished bodies of the Kirkhams. Either in the copper alloy or polished aluminun, both looked stunning. I know when the chrome paint first came out its consistancy was almost like water. You had to have everything perfect because one little bit of anything and it would show up. I had looked up this paint when it was brought up. There was the chrome paint and a ghost chrome....but now it seems this company offers more choices. Other than reading and seeing a few examples at Monterey I have no hands on experience with it.

Your comment caught my eye because back in the 1980's my racing buddy Cozy had a black chrome drum kit. He made a duplicate set for me and I did ask a few manufacturers at that time if they could produce a black chrome finish similar to Cozy's drum kit. At that time it would have cost several fortunes but today I guess it could be done.

octopuss cozy powell - Bing Images

Chrome paints
Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the inputs, if you google Chrome Paint and pull up images you will see many autos done in it - looks like paint refinement & application techniques are starting to bring this into the mainstream.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 331 SB, AFR heads
Not Ranked     
Default Spray On Chrome

You might look at the following video from Jay Leno's Garage for a water-based spray process to get a chrome like surface. I was amazed at the results.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8[/ame]

Let me know what you think about it.

John
Old 04-24-2014, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhirasak View Post
You might look at the following video from Jay Leno's Garage for a water-based spray process to get a chrome like surface. I was amazed at the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8

Let me know what you think about it.

John
Very impressive John, that would be one to pursue I think.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star, 351-c
Not Ranked     

There is also a chrome wrap available. No idea of the cost, but it looks like chrome plating.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #408, 302 crate motor, 425 HP.
Not Ranked     

Chrome wrap on a car will cost over 2K. This is a great alternative to chrome plating, as Jay says "perfect for the interior plastic parts.

Mike
Old 04-24-2014, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1983, 427W, IRS, Wilwood brakes
Not Ranked     

I've seen McClarens and several other cars wrapped in chrome. There are several different "shades" like black chrome, silver, red,blue, etc available. Local Motors wraps their cars as they say it weighs less and is resists scratching better.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DBX Chrome Wrap ...

Definitely an option.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Fair enough for a show only car that doesn't see the street.

Can't see the legality when we can't have chrome gauge cups on the cowl.

Gold Certified Holden Technician