Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AL427SBF

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default The Last JBL Competition Roadster Build

Reserved for Larry Goins to post pics as he completes what's left of my build ...
Old 11-12-2014, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Are they done? (JBL)

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Al, do you mean "last" or "latest"?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Are they done? (JBL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Al, do you mean "last" or "latest"?
How about both as I'm a firm believer in "never say never". For now, and as I understand it, mine is the last JBL comp roadster that Larry committed to building. He has now moved on with 'above ground' storm shelters*, craftsmanship on par with his roadster builds and the design work done by none other than mad scientist Richard Hudgins. Maybe JBL touring roadsters are still in play (don't know) - and who's to say if demand for the comp roadster returns Larry wouldn't tool up again, like I said "never say never".

*Being in CA a storm shelter is really not needed, but the zombie apocalypse is coming so I may order one anyway
750hp likes this.

Last edited by AL427SBF; 11-13-2014 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Updated Info
Old 11-28-2014, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3GT, Arancio Argos/Black Magic, Coyote XS, T-56 Magnum
Not Ranked     

Any way to get ahold of these guys?

I'm trying to get someone at either number listed on the website. Are they still building the touring chassis???

I want one built for the spring season.

-Michael.
Old 11-28-2014, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MJC, I got your PM and replied with some additional contact info.
Old 11-28-2014, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3GT, Arancio Argos/Black Magic, Coyote XS, T-56 Magnum
Not Ranked     

Thank you.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

A spring completion date from Nov 29/14??? Goodness me. Five Months? I am impressed. Just hanging the trunk, hood, doors takes a week. Let alone body prep and paint takes another minimum of 2.5 weeks. Let alone the correct set-up, orderly arrivial of ordered parts. Truely awesome..
Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am going to resurrect this thread. I was just doing research into wheels, paint and what I want mine to look like and just thought you would like to know that I have a touring roaster on the way. I will be building it up myself but Larry is provided the replica and all of the parts.

I tried to get him to build the competition version with the rocker arm front suspension and the pushrod rear suspension but he insisted that

1) They lost their good CNC machinist and the cost of the billet parts would be prohibitively expensive
2) The touring roadster is very capable and would actually be better for my application (daily drive, autocross, with the occasional high speed track)

I don't mind this because I have access to a machine shop at work and could design and build my own inboard suspension in the future if I really want to.

The "kit" is almost complete with the body almost finished, from what I understand the chassis complete, and small things left before delivery. Then comes my part of putting in the 5.0L coyote and the rest of the drive train.

I must commend Larry for answering my large list of questions. I am an engineer and I am sure he hates dealing with us because we have to know everything! Anyway, I am really excited to see it show up and start having fun building it up.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh yea, Sorry to thread jack. I was attempting to answer the question as to whether it was the last car they would make and it turned out to be word. Back to your pictures! I'd like to see them. There really aren't that many out there.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

ianm12,

Methinks that there might be just a bit more to it than whipping up some bits and mounting them inboard.

Then again, maybe not.

And from what I have heard, the Touring chassis should work OK for your planned usage.

Enjoy it.

Richard Hudgins
Old 05-03-2015, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Richard,
I in no way meant to imply it is an easy thing to do and I love to ogle the pictures of that beautiful setup. I have designed and built only 1 suspension setup and it was for a very forgiving off road buggy. My experience, that is to say, approximately none, would not lend itself to a timely design and testing of a new setup, and certainly not one better than has been perfected over many years. I trust my abilities (do I remember my dynamics class well enough...) to do some cool engineering but probably not enough to bet my life on it

I will enjoy the hell out of my car and once I get my first drive, I am sure I'll be giggling like a little kid and will forget all about my grand ideas.

AL427SBF, I am excited to see your pictures. I'll get mine up when I have it here soon. I loved the ones I got of my pile of fiberglass and the in-process body. It speaks to the engineer in me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: