Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Aluminum Alloycars MK5-Roadster 427FE Engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Does Tony work for Factory Five Racing?

Again just asking for clarification.

Bill S.

Do your home work and figure it out. What has this to do with this project???
Old 01-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, you can be right for business plan and etc. etc. ....and thank you guys for your advises...but can we go the project first. I think I am able to deal with financial issues. How I could make an business plan for my Spyders for example.
Its about stomach, new ideas a lot of work and the will to finish what you started. They are selling pretty good.
Again, thank you but lets be concentrated to get basic information so I can go over to check whats possible or not.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

alloycars "Do your home work and figure it out. What has this to do with this project???"

Sigh. Just when I think we are going to have a civil thread, you go and do that. What is with you and answering questions? It was simple question with nothing in the way of an insult or other implied derogatory meaning and you have to go and answer a question with a belligerent answer. It's hopeless.

Last edited by Paul F; 01-04-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Old 01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Hi Bill,

The answer is likely yes, if this is the same Tony he's talking about.

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...ome-additions/

By the way, this thread is mistakenly in the "small block talk" forum...

He is a fantanstic guy, very helpful and open for new ideas.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloycars View Post

Do your home work and figure it out. What has this to do with this project???
You're the one who brought Tony into this conversation.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Sigh. Just when I think we are going to have a civil thread, you go and do that. What is with you and answering questions? It was simple question with nothing in the way of an insult or other implied derogatory meaning and you have to go and answer a question with a belligerent answer. It's hopeless. You must have a massive chip on you shoulders.
Sorry, this was not intent to be mistaken for a negative answer.
I really appreciate the advices....Man..you guys are like wolfes...calm down please....can you please read something in a positive way...is this possible or do I ask too much???

Last edited by Alloycars; 01-04-2015 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
After seeing the Factory Five offerings, which I think are an excellent kit and well built, there are many differences between them and an original style body. I am building (almost finished) an Exact Carbon Cobra built on Roger's original spec'd frame and the differences are huge. Since this is splashed off an original body, it isn't symmetrical so copying an original will be an exercise in futility, IMHO.
Better to simply copy the Factory Five body completely or do like the Kirkhams and do a scan and clean it up side to side and make the body symmetrical- then try to figure out how to fit it to the Factory Five chassis.
If you go original with the body (albeit making it symmetrical ala Kirkham), you would need to make modifications to the Factory Five frame to make it fit. some of these modifications may end being pretty substantial, some are more minor.
For instance, the outriggers would need to changed and/or shortened and the mounting points relocated to accomodate the wrap around at the rocker that the originals had and the Factory Five doesn't. The Mark IV does have some wrap around at the rocker- more than the early models, but not to the extent the originals had.

The birdcage is already in place in the Factory Five chassis, but will it fit your original style body? Probably not, unless it closely matches the Factory Five body to begin with. Otherwise, more time and money would need to be spent altering the birdcage. For a kit builder, these two items would be a huge undertaking, not to mention expensive since most would have to take it to a welder to have the modifications done. These are not easy modifications to do, as I have done the bird cage and most of the smaller tubing modifications/additions on my chassis.

In my opinion, if you want to go forward with this idea, you need to basically copy the body of the car you intend to replace the body with. If you wish to go with FFR as your first foray, your best bet would be to buy an FFR base kit Mark IV, bring it to your shop, and do some homework to see what is the best way to proceed. You may scrap the idea, you may produce a matching body, or you may decide to offer a kit with the necessary parts to adapt your body. If you are planning on offering a complete car, you may need to familiarize yourself with US laws and regulations regarding selling complete cars. There is a reason the Kirkhams, ERA's, Shelbys, and other kits are sold as rollers as there are extensive rules and regulations in place that would make selling a complete turn key car cost prohibitive.
On top of everything else, I think at your price point of $85K turn key, I think you are painting yourself into a very small niche corner where you won't make enough money to be able to sustain your business model for very long.

Bob
Hi Bob, a long post and full with information. 85k is very fine for us for a standard version, dont worry.
I dont want to be a competitor with Kirkham at all. We will have different products and I like a lot what they are doing...it is just amazing.
They are going a totally different way. I have no any intention to be a competitor...and there is no reason. I am going for a different market.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Ok, we lost the track again. So let go back to what matters.
I went back to my shop and there is indeed a very simple solution to attach the sub frame to hold the aluminum body without a welding process involved.
As this was my main concern we can go forward.

So this is what we got and what we have so far. There are still things open:

- Kit will have an aluminum body. ok
- Basis will be an FFR MKIV. ok
- Subframe bolt on attachment. ok
- Hood inner frame . ???
- Door inner frame. ???
- Trunk inner frame ???
- Using MKIV shape or super original shape ???
- No polished version available as we are going for fast production ..ok Maybe showcar.
- other known MKIV issues.

Just lets go to those items for now.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way, sorry that I am writing in bold letters. Just got the information that this can be understood as shouting someone....wasnt my intention.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
[b]Ok, we lost the track again. So let go back to what matters.
I went back to my shop and there is indeed a very simple solution to attach the sub frame to hold the aluminum body without a welding process involved.
As this was my main concern we can go forward.

So this is what we got and what we have so far. There are still things open:

- Kit will have an aluminum body. ok
- Basis will be an FFR MKIV. ok
- Subframe bolt on attachment. ok
- Hood inner frame . ???
- Door inner frame. ???
- Trunk inner frame ???
- Using MKIV shape or super original shape ???
- No polished version available as we are going for fast production ..ok Maybe showcar.
- other known MKIV issues.

Just lets go to those items for now.
Here is a profile sketch of the FFR (in red) over a "correct" shelby cobra in black (from the FFR forum). Gives general differences but might be a good starting point for discussion.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and an FFR against several -

Old 01-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, indeed. This is extreme helpfull. So this means that FFR made modifications to an body which was suposently an original one?
Are you sure that the red one is not the MKIII body as they lowered this rear section a lot at the MKIV? On the MKIII you can see the gas tank very obviously.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

do you know something between the wheelbase of those two cars? Are they identical?
Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Quote:
Sorry, this was not intent to be mistaken for a negative answer.
I really appreciate the advices....Man..you guys are like wolfes...calm down please....can you please read something in a positive way...is this possible or do I ask too much???
So I'll ask again, who is this Tony (can't be that Tony mentioned above at FFR as he has nothing to do with the sales side of life for your association with FFR) you spoke about? And yes, it does matter in the sense that we are all being open and honest here at the moment, or do you expect that to only go in one direction, thus putting this thread in jeopardy of spiraling southwards and coming to a direct halt of interesting ideas for your company?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-04-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, indeed. This is extreme helpfull. So this means that FFR made modifications to an body which was suposently an original one?
Are you sure that the red one is not the MKIII body as they lowered this rear section a lot at the MKIV? On the MKIII you can see the gas tank very obviously.
The red may be a MKIII, unfortunately not a lot of description given. Here is the link to that FFR thread, the "artist" (Greg) owns a MKIII so I'm inclined to believe it is.
Need Cobra Silhouette - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Old 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, we are offering complete cars as we are working with a third party contractor who is installing brake, engine and suspension parts. We have a Roller version as well, but the definition "Roller" is wide spreaded between each manufacturer. You have to be very carefully when you start comparing those kits.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MRMUSTANG.....you again...starting again.
Who the heck was telling that?: "who is this Tony (can't be that Tony mentioned above at FFR as he has nothing to do with the sales side of life for your association with FFR)"

Tony is a super nice guy, who works for FFR and is my direct contact. Other member answered this question also to you...so whats your problem???

Please go away with your problem as I promised not getting angry here. As I mentioned ...you are not welcome in this project
Old 01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Shelby Cobra CSX6045, 468 ci all aluminum Shelby engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bob, we are offering complete cars as we are working with a third party contractor who is installing brake, engine and suspension parts. We have a Roller version as well, but the definition "Roller" is wide spreaded between each manufacturer. You have to be very carefully when you start comparing those kits.
Since you are advertising on eBay are you ready to take orders and deliver within the timeframe stated in the advertisement? MKIII or MKIV? Both of these threads have many contradictions.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
do you know something between the wheelbase of those two cars? Are they identical?
Don't know the wheelbase, I would think the same @ 90" but that would be a guess.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

MKIII is our Prototype and we learned from it. With the next MKIV coming in we can install our aluminum bodies on it. But....only MKIII type bodies.
Later I can catch two flies with one hit....having the right body for the MKIV basis kit and having a conversion kit. So for us it isnt really important selling cars, rollers or conversion kits. They all will be the same.
At this moment I have just to wait until more kits are going to arrive to go ahead.
As a coachbuilder you will never end doing modifications and enhancements...no one kit will be the same.
Closed Thread