Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2015, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: backdraft roush 427r
Not Ranked     
Default Roush 427r only made 400whp :(

Hey everyone. New member. Bought a new BDR cobra last month. Great looking car, and it definitely has a lot of character.
Specs are roush 427r crate motor with tko600 trans.

Crank hp is 550hp (546 exactly), but after break in miles, I strapped it to a dyno and it put down a measly 401whp. That is a HUGE drivetrain loss. I was expecting 15% loss, but this is near 27% unless Roush is over rating their motors.

Car was also running really rich in some areas, and lean in others... I will sort that out soon.

Any ideas if this is normal? If so, what are best ways to get more power without ruining streetability.

This is a mustang dyno which reads lower than dyno jets, and it is correctly calibrated. I have dynod many cars here, and it's a reputable shop.

I was expecting closer to the 450 whp number
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi tech 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Well im sure it's because no one has a great exhaust system for a cobra. I wonder if under car wouldn't be better.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Honeslty, I don't expect an exhaust to make more than a 10whp difference, if that
saltshaker likes this.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

My Roush 427SR (rated at 515 hp from Roush) made 440/460 rear wheel hp/tq after I changed to a double pumper carb and 3" side pipes.

And, yes, the pipes can strangle that engine. Insert a small mirror into your side pipe and shine a light inside. Check out how big the internal pipe actually is. My spf side pipe measured 1 3/4" inside diameter and was choking my engine. Make sure your timing is spot on as well. Mine ran better at 36 degrees total advance.
saltshaker likes this.

Last edited by jhv48; 02-28-2015 at 01:51 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Pretty typical for a Mustang dyno.

If the tune is right, you can probably sneak a few more out of it. If it's got a Street Avenger carb, you can gain a good bit more from a Quick Fuel carb swap.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the input. Do you have any before numbers to compare?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also, blykins, why would you choose quick fuel ocer prosystems
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you want the power you will need to install a quality exhaust. I have yet to see a quality aftermarket cobra exhaust so I had one built. You also want to look at the air filter assy. Lots to lose there.

Last edited by mikeinatlanta; 02-28-2015 at 02:26 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suppose I'm a little biased as we custom assemble our own Quick Fuel carbs. Never tried a Pro Systems, but have heard good things about them. I have sent Quick Fuel carbs all over the world (literally) and have some good reviews from my customers. The carbs that come with the Roush engines are pretty sub-par...

As far as the dyno, a 25% loss through the driveline and exhaust isn't abnormal with the Mustang dynos.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay. Could you send me an offer/suggestion for a QFT carb. It will probably be the 750 right? Also, what are your thoughts on the annular booster? Actually effective, or snake oil?

Also, if anyone has any exhaust suggestions, please post or PM me.

Prices for both are appreciated
Old 02-28-2015, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you need specs for carb tuning, I live in south Florida. So, hot, humid, and sea level
Old 02-28-2015, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I actually have both of the aforementioned carbs. I have a Prosystems 850 on my Roush 427SR and a Quickfuel 850 on my Lykins Motorsports 427. Both are easily tuneable and will wake up that engine. The stock street avenger is the first thing I would replace. Cost is around $750.
The sidepipes are the second thing I would replace.
Full Throttle in Sparks Nevada will modify your pipes but they will be loud. Mine cost $1200. Basically, he sent me a pair that had already been modified and I sent him my used pipes plus $1200.
There are other side pipe manufacturers out there that will do a fine job of making a set of pipes for your car. Do a search and you'll find lots of recommendations.
Pipes and a dp carb will get the air in and out so you can use every horsepuppy your engine can churn out.
Jim Sadler likes this.

Last edited by jhv48; 02-28-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like a plan
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, a Q-750 would run about $685.

Annular boosters have their places, I don't think a Cobra with a 5-speed is one of them though.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quoteCrank hp is 550hp (546 exactly), but after break in miles, I strapped it to a dyno and it put down a measly 401whp. That is a HUGE drivetrain loss. I was expecting 15% loss, but this is near 27% unless Roush is over rating their motors.
][/quote]

There has been documented cases here (not going to look for them,would take me all day and half the night) of 100hp loss just thru the side pipes alone,not counting restrictive air filter or "normal" driveline loss.......

not knowing what size/type/kind of side pipes/headers/air filter you are running, I could easily believe a 27% hp loss.......

easy way to tell,go back to the chasis dyno, and take off the air filter and disconnect the side pipes from the collectors and run "open" headers and then compare the numbers.......you will likely be surprised......

David
Dominik and rodneym like this.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

I agree with what others have said, certain sidepipes can literally strangle higher hp engines. I wouldn't worry about the carb until you look at this first.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Firefly Stainless Steel performance pipes have been designed
Old 03-01-2015, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Did you put it on the chassis design because it wasn't performing to expectations or just to get the "in-car" tune dialled in? If it's performing fine, or if you haven't driven it to it's full potential already, don't fall into the trap of spending money to make a magical but entirely irrelevant number on a dyno...
Dominik likes this.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I put her on the dyno because I felt her breaking up in higher rpms, and in general just not running as smooth as I would prefer. I mainly wanted to check AFRs to make sure everything was safe.

Also, I like to put all my cars on the dyno just to see what they actually put down compared to numbers from the manufacturer.
I always tend to tinker with my cars, so it's nice to have a baseline for comparison.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting the exhaust. $2700 is steep for an exhuast. I will definitely look into it though.

Tags
bdr, roush