Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-22-2015, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF-427R
Neutral     
Default Punching up a 408?

Please forgive my ignorance here, but here goes:
I'm seeing a fair amount of cars out there for sale with small block Windsors as327 or 408 variants. Without debating the need to go to a 427 or 428 (let's just assume we need to), what is the right move? Should one be looking for the 427 to start or just finding a good car, even if the engine is not up to spec, and going through the effort to increase the smaller displacement?

So I guess the question is, do you skip on a good car because of the engine or buy it and modify it, and where will you end up cost wise?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Check in with Blykins on this site.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

As usual, it all depends on what you are planning on doing with the car and what is important to you?
These are replicas so originality is only important if it is important to you. Budget also plays a role and the 302 and 351 variants 306, 331, 347 and 393, 408, 427) are usually quite a bit cheaper to build and have plenty of potential for horsepower levels for these light cars. If you plan on doing track days, racing, or just street cruising it will affect how you may want the engine built and how you determine other items on the car- suspension, interior, effective gear ratios, tires, solid axle versus IRS, etc...

Lots to learn, but no decision is really wrong unless you feel it is. As long as you have fun with the car and you are happy with it is all that really matters.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I think the OP's question regarded a 408 variation of a Windsor versus a 427 variation. Assuming that is the question, here are my thoughts.
  1. The main difference between a 408 small block and a 427 small block is that the engine displacement will match the badge on the side of the car. That means you can answer the inevitable "Does that have a 427?" question with a simple yes. Of course the questioner was likely thinking of the legendary 427 side oiler, but he'll be happy thinking he just saw a car with one.
  2. All other things being equal, the 427 will produce a little more torque and HP than the 408.
  3. The connecting rod geometry get more extreme as the size of the stroker crank (and displacement) gets larger. That places more side stresses on engine components and might result in shortened engine life. That is the argument presented to me that led me to opt for a 408 size crank rather than the 427 size.
  4. Given how little many Cobra replicas are driven, I wouldn't be too worried about the larger crank.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-22-2015, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, if you want a 427 small block (and want it to last), you need to use a Dart or similiar aftermarket block.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: