Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 750hp

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are Vortec 5.7L+T5 good for Cobra?

Hi, folks.

I received an offer to buy a Vortec 5.7L (10243880, 96-up, 350,2 & 4-Bolt Vortec Roller) and manual Mustang T5 transmission. Need your opinion:

A) Is this engine good enough for Cobra project (is it worth to buy).

B) Can this engine be paired with the mentioned T5 tranny bolt on?

Sorry for if the question is stupid, but I just bought Cobra chasis n body and know very little about Chevy engines.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Widzia; 11-07-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the Dark Side! If you don't car about trying to make a kit/replica car an exact copy and try to pass it off as real one. If you view your car as a HotRod that is shaped like a Cobra, then Chevy is the best way to go. From a performance, cost, parts availability, Chevy is the way to go. If provenance is your thing then it is a fact the AC Cars Ltd of England in the 60's built and sold at least two Cobra's with Chevy engines in the from the factory. And todays incarnation of Ac Cars sells their Cobra replica with a GM LS engine. And when it comes to resale time don't let the "Ford only in a Cobra crowd" that you cant sell a Chevy powered cobra, that is a load of BS. There is a large market of guy's who only want a Chevy in their HotRod shaped like a Cobra and will pay extra for it.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would personally not use that engine or trans. Start with a LS if you really want a GM powered Cobra and use a T56.

Now you have a good foundation to build any horsepower engine you want.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for comments.

Honestly, I'm looking for a V8 bargain. All I need is a decent engine & tranny combo for the right price. I would love to have something from LS series, but M62B44 or S62 by BMW would be good as well.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

When you ask if the engine is "good enough" for a Cobra, perhaps you need to decide what you want to achieve.
If you simply want a cheap V8, you can buy a 5.0 out of an 86-93 Mustang for peanuts; same with any of the LS family that are pulled from GM trucks.
I think that the majority of Cobra owners would choose an engine other than a Vortec.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
Welcome to the Dark Side! If you don't car about trying to make a kit/replica car an exact copy and try to pass it off as real one. If you view your car as a HotRod that is shaped like a Cobra, then Chevy is the best way to go. From a performance, cost, parts availability, Chevy is the way to go. If provenance is your thing then it is a fact the AC Cars Ltd of England in the 60's built and sold at least two Cobra's with Chevy engines in the from the factory. And todays incarnation of Ac Cars sells their Cobra replica with a GM LS engine. And when it comes to resale time don't let the "Ford only in a Cobra crowd" that you cant sell a Chevy powered cobra, that is a load of BS. There is a large market of guy's who only want a Chevy in their HotRod shaped like a Cobra and will pay extra for it.
I can feel the anger welling up inside you, just talking about the majority opinion people who wounded you with words.

At least warn the poor guy that he will endure a lot of rude comments.

There are many reasons to put an engine other than what originally went into these cars. If you put something unique into one, people are wowed. If it is fast, people respect it. If you put something other than a Ford engine in it because it was cheap and plentiful, what is there to respect or admire? You might get made fun of like the guy who dropped a potato in the back of his bikini and strutted up and down the beach. (if you didn't hear the joke, he was supposed to put the potato in the front).

Last edited by olddog; 11-08-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Old 11-08-2015, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aside from the Chevy/Ford thing, the Vortec is a very docile, non-stellar performing engine. There's not much HP and the T5's sorta weak. It's not the worst choice you can make although not far from it. As others have said and if you're going to "cheap seat" your Cobra, go with a donor 302 out of a Fox body Mustang and the T5 behind it. It'll be cheap and it's a Ford powerplant.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 408 LSX
Not Ranked     

I am going to assume everyone noticed the OP is from Lithuania. I don't know what's available there. 87-93 mustangs with 5.0s may not be that plentiful.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

If you are in Lithuania than the best engine is one you like, can get parts for, can repair or get repaired. So Chevy, Ford, Mopar, Rover, Jaguar ,,,,, all could be the best choice for you.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BD 1445 Coyote TKO 600 3.91
Not Ranked     

I had a Cobra with a Corvette Chassis and it had a Chevy engine. Sold it with NO problem and it was an automatic to boot.

If it fits you budget then do it. None of the other guys are footing the bill for your car. The best part is that you can get it up and running and it is always replaceable.

BTW I was told my distributor was backwards time and time again...
I will say though the LS platform would be better tho. LS3 is great motor and you can make a lot of power with it and fairly inexpensive.

I held my car for a while and changed to to a BDR roller from VMS with a Coyote... love it.

Good luck