Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Small Block Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/)
-   -   Best tool for Adj Lifters (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/small-block-talk/136225-best-tool-adj-lifters.html)

289ERAkit 04-06-2016 07:51 AM

Best tool for Adj Lifters

Hello All,

Looking for the best tool for adj solid lifters for SBF. LSM has a torque type set to 22lbs... with three T handles..... will this work for SBF ? Is it worth it ? thanks mike

blykins 04-06-2016 08:13 AM

Closed end wrench, T-handle, and feeler gauges.

I wouldn't bother with any of the frilly tools for setting lash.

289ERAkit 04-06-2016 08:21 AM

ok ... sounds good thanks

lippy 04-06-2016 09:55 AM

Agree with Brent. What I do is set the lash *very slightly* looser than spec, tightening the nut with a closed-end wrench (snug, say roughly 10-15 ft-lb, by feel) while creating opposing force/holding the adjusting screw tight with a T-handle. Then I check the lash again. If things didn't move and it's still good, I then torque the nut with a good torque wrench. The two tightening steps, if I do them right, will close the lash a tiny bit (less than a thousandth) and I'll be spot on at the end.

289ERAkit 04-06-2016 10:16 AM

Yes... I can see that the final ..torque would need to be checked, and I'll take the advise on how to lash it "slightly". thanks mike

1795 04-06-2016 01:35 PM

Make sure that you use a T-handle allen wrench instead of a standard allen wrench. The standard sized one is quite small and if you drop it there is the possibility of it falling down an oil channel :eek:

Bernica 04-06-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1386889)
Make sure that you use a T-handle allen wrench instead of a standard allen wrench. The standard sized one is quite small and if you drop it there is the possibility of it falling down an oil channel :eek:

Yup! Then your least worries will be setting rockers!:eek: T-handle for sure!

patrickt 04-06-2016 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 289ERAkit (Post 1386873)
Hello All,

Looking for the best tool for adj solid lifters for SBF. LSM has a torque type set to 22lbs... with three T handles..... will this work for SBF ? Is it worth it ? thanks mike

Uhhh, like my little valve gapper, discussed here: http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-t...es-cork-3.html

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...egapper001.jpg

lippy 04-06-2016 05:25 PM

Get these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13390-T-handles-Stand-8-Inch/dp/B00012WYEC?ie=UTF8&keywords=bondhus%20allen%20wrench%20set&qid=1459988597&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7"]Bondhus 13390 Set of 10 Hex T-handles with Stand, sizes 3/32-3/8-Inch - Hex Keys - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CPRQBTTVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41CPRQBTTVL[/ame]

When I do mine, I put rags around where I am working, so I don't drop something in. Sensitive subject for me, as I recently dropped a nut into my dizzy hole (that sounds naughty) and had to drop my pan to get it out.

1795 04-06-2016 05:37 PM

The time prior to my last valve lash adjustment I did not have the T-handles and while attempting to loosen the set adjuster the allen wrench slipped out of my slightly oily hand and almost went for a trip inside the head. Stopped right there after retrieving the wrench and went out and bought some T-handle wrenches, after changing my shorts of course...:eek: No need to worry about that again.

Gaz64 04-06-2016 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lippy (Post 1386880)
Agree with Brent. What I do is set the lash *very slightly* looser than spec, tightening the nut with a closed-end wrench (snug, say roughly 10-15 ft-lb, by feel) while creating opposing force/holding the adjusting screw tight with a T-handle. Then I check the lash again. If things didn't move and it's still good, I then torque the nut with a good torque wrench. The two tightening steps, if I do them right, will close the lash a tiny bit (less than a thousandth) and I'll be spot on at the end.

Same for me.

And the same in reverse.

Some try to loosen the set screw rather than loosen the adjusting nut.

patrickt 04-06-2016 06:05 PM

I love to waste money on Cobra tools, but the one nice point of having that valve gapper is that you can watch the needle as you tighten it down -- and you can see how much you have to lean on the adjuster to compensate for the change in gap that comes with tightening it down. If you're building engines, and doing valves on a weekly basis, it's second nature. But when you only gap your valves once every year or so, having a gauge with a face and needle makes it easier.

lippy 04-06-2016 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1386910)
I love to waste money on Cobra tools, but the one nice point of having that valve gapper is that you can watch the needle as you tighten it down -- and you can see how much you have to lean on the adjuster to compensate for the change in gap that comes with tightening it down. If you're building engines, and doing valves on a weekly basis, it's second nature. But when you only gap your valves once every year or so, having a gauge with a face and needle makes it easier.

Yeah, but those tools are $200 if I remember correctly. And I bought a great Precision dual-beam torque wrench for less then that, and I can use it for the valve lash plus a ton of other things.

patrickt 04-07-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lippy (Post 1386915)
Yeah, but those tools are $200 if I remember correctly. And I bought a great Precision dual-beam torque wrench for less then that, and I can use it for the valve lash plus a ton of other things.

That's why I call it wasting money.:cool: