Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Of Course You Can Play With My New Toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Maybe Patrickt will let me try his new tool since I will check my lash at the same time.
Of course Patrick will let you try his new tool. BUT, under one condition... after you have played with it for a while you must then forward it on to ERA Chas, El M., or anyone else that would like to try it out (even the real engine guys like Barry & Keith). Now, considering I dropped 250 clams on this little toy, I would eventually like to get it back from whomever it has been forwarded on to. Now how's that for a deal? PM me your address and I'll ship it out to you early next week. BTW, here's a shot of what we're talking about, and here's a link to the page about it: http://www.precisionmeasure.com/valve4.htm

EDIT -- if there is any real interest, guys could just put their names on a thread and everyone would be on their honor to forward it on to the next guy.

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Came Up with Probably a Dumb Idea...
Old 10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey-no hands!

Sincere thanks Patek-er-Patrick, but take me off the list. Aren't you afraid that by the time you get it back, those aluminum threads will be stripped?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Aren't you afraid that by the time you get it back, those aluminum threads will be stripped?
No, guys on here that have solid lifter cars tend to be cut from a finer bolt of cloth. I trust them to care for my tools as if they were their own.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
No, guys on here that have solid lifter cars tend to be cut from a finer bolt of cloth. I trust them to care for my tools as if they were their own.
Rodknock will be distraught to learn he's a lesser bolt of cloth-as will the rest of the valve train community.

Care to start re-bashing -oh say-the FFR guys or the Jag rear ERA guys?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Care to start re-bashing -oh say-the FFR guys or the Jag rear ERA guys?
While that certainly is tempting, I'm weakened from a day of flying and standing in long airport security lines. Maybe tomorrow though....
Old 10-14-2010, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Patrickt - I just may take you up on it (but I'll prob double check them all with a feeler gauge, which will give Chas a chuckle). Very nice of you to share. No rush though. I am waiting on grease from EL and will have lots of family and commitments for the next few weeks.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's Really More of a Learning Tool...

Quote:
Patrickt - I just may take you up on it (but I'll prob double check them all with a feeler gauge, which will give Chas a chuckle). Very nice of you to share. No rush though. I am waiting on grease from EL and will have lots of family and commitments for the next few weeks.
Just say the word and I'll ship it out. You will find that the gauge is not a substitute for your feeler gauge. However, with the gauge, and a bit of lengthy experimentation, you get to learn the nuances of your valve train and how holding the "T" adjuster/wrench differently and how that final torque down affects the lash on your particular set of rockers. Being able to watch the needle move when you do something pretty much eliminates having to re-do a rocker 6 or 7 times to get it exactly right (which as you know, I wouldn't do, I'd just live with a couple thousandths variance). I now have my valves where, after the final torque, the correct feeler gauge goes in and the one that is .001 higher will not. ERA Chas is correct though, guys that routinely do valves are not going to need this gauge. BTW, notice anything different in this pic?

Last edited by patrickt; 11-02-2016 at 12:05 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

No more cross-firing for you! Jerry will give you a gold star. Oh, and you got rid of those blue looms, MUCH improved. Did you paint them or buy them? (I am guessing paint)

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)

Last edited by dcdoug; 10-15-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I was going to say that those valve cover bolts don't look original.

I would ditch the Moroso wires too.

What's up with all the springs?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No more cross-firing for you! Jerry will give you a gold star. Oh, and you got rid of those blue looms, MUCH improved. Did you paint them or buy them? (I am guessing paint)
Correct. I painted them. I even used a satin to make el M. happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
What's up with all the springs?
Those are "Terry Body Springs." They secure my two piece removable Turkey Pan.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A. You forgot the hand in the photo.

B. Get a crayon and change the 'seven' on the valve cover to an 'eight'.

C. You're one of 'Jerry's Kids' now-but there are other ways to have zero crossfire...
Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I never had any crossfire to begin with... I only did it to make Jerry happy. He actually reminds me of some of my relatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I was going to say that those valve cover bolts don't look original.
Self locking Nylocks, baby.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I guess it doesn't really matter, since I probably couldn't get past the two roll bar thing anyway. The Morosos and all the slinky's are fine.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't remember whether you have a TP on your engine or not. But they make adjusting the carb, and using a vacuum gauge, pretty darn hard. Hmmmm, sounds like another opportunity for a hand under carb photo.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... I only did it to make Jerry happy.
Then why don't you make me happy and change those bogus 427 covers to 'Cobra 428' covers?? Or 'Cobra 445' covers?? Or 'Solid Flat Tappet 428' covers??
After all, your 'finer bolt of cloth' edict applies to REAL 427 owners VS. lowly 428 owners also...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Then why don't you make me happy and change those bogus 427 covers to 'Cobra 428' covers?? Or 'Cobra 445' covers?? Or 'Solid Flat Tappet 428' covers??
Alright, if it makes you happy, I'll change them to 'Solid Flat Tappet 428' covers. I actually like the sound of that to tell you the truth.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good-that will make you a slightly better bolt of cloth.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Good-that will make you a slightly better bolt of cloth.
... and a better bolt of cloth would naturally stem from my newly fashioned loom. Now, beat that....