Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1795
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 289 ERA #2115 under build in my bedroom
Not Ranked     
Default Best tool for Adj Lifters

Hello All,

Looking for the best tool for adj solid lifters for SBF. LSM has a torque type set to 22lbs... with three T handles..... will this work for SBF ? Is it worth it ? thanks mike
Old 04-06-2016, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Closed end wrench, T-handle, and feeler gauges.

I wouldn't bother with any of the frilly tools for setting lash.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ok ... sounds good thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Agree with Brent. What I do is set the lash *very slightly* looser than spec, tightening the nut with a closed-end wrench (snug, say roughly 10-15 ft-lb, by feel) while creating opposing force/holding the adjusting screw tight with a T-handle. Then I check the lash again. If things didn't move and it's still good, I then torque the nut with a good torque wrench. The two tightening steps, if I do them right, will close the lash a tiny bit (less than a thousandth) and I'll be spot on at the end.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes... I can see that the final ..torque would need to be checked, and I'll take the advise on how to lash it "slightly". thanks mike
Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Make sure that you use a T-handle allen wrench instead of a standard allen wrench. The standard sized one is quite small and if you drop it there is the possibility of it falling down an oil channel
Bernica likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Make sure that you use a T-handle allen wrench instead of a standard allen wrench. The standard sized one is quite small and if you drop it there is the possibility of it falling down an oil channel
Yup! Then your least worries will be setting rockers! T-handle for sure!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289ERAkit View Post
Hello All,

Looking for the best tool for adj solid lifters for SBF. LSM has a torque type set to 22lbs... with three T handles..... will this work for SBF ? Is it worth it ? thanks mike
Uhhh, like my little valve gapper, discussed here: Valve cover gasket alternatives to cork

Last edited by patrickt; 11-08-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Get these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13390-T-handles-Stand-8-Inch/dp/B00012WYEC?ie=UTF8&keywords=bondhus%20allen%20wren ch%20set&qid=1459988597&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7"]Bondhus 13390 Set of 10 Hex T-handles with Stand, sizes 3/32-3/8-Inch - Hex Keys - Amazon.com@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CPRQBTTVL.@@AMEPARAM@@41CPRQBTTVL[/ame]

When I do mine, I put rags around where I am working, so I don't drop something in. Sensitive subject for me, as I recently dropped a nut into my dizzy hole (that sounds naughty) and had to drop my pan to get it out.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The time prior to my last valve lash adjustment I did not have the T-handles and while attempting to loosen the set adjuster the allen wrench slipped out of my slightly oily hand and almost went for a trip inside the head. Stopped right there after retrieving the wrench and went out and bought some T-handle wrenches, after changing my shorts of course... No need to worry about that again.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Agree with Brent. What I do is set the lash *very slightly* looser than spec, tightening the nut with a closed-end wrench (snug, say roughly 10-15 ft-lb, by feel) while creating opposing force/holding the adjusting screw tight with a T-handle. Then I check the lash again. If things didn't move and it's still good, I then torque the nut with a good torque wrench. The two tightening steps, if I do them right, will close the lash a tiny bit (less than a thousandth) and I'll be spot on at the end.
Same for me.

And the same in reverse.

Some try to loosen the set screw rather than loosen the adjusting nut.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I love to waste money on Cobra tools, but the one nice point of having that valve gapper is that you can watch the needle as you tighten it down -- and you can see how much you have to lean on the adjuster to compensate for the change in gap that comes with tightening it down. If you're building engines, and doing valves on a weekly basis, it's second nature. But when you only gap your valves once every year or so, having a gauge with a face and needle makes it easier.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I love to waste money on Cobra tools, but the one nice point of having that valve gapper is that you can watch the needle as you tighten it down -- and you can see how much you have to lean on the adjuster to compensate for the change in gap that comes with tightening it down. If you're building engines, and doing valves on a weekly basis, it's second nature. But when you only gap your valves once every year or so, having a gauge with a face and needle makes it easier.
Yeah, but those tools are $200 if I remember correctly. And I bought a great Precision dual-beam torque wrench for less then that, and I can use it for the valve lash plus a ton of other things.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Yeah, but those tools are $200 if I remember correctly. And I bought a great Precision dual-beam torque wrench for less then that, and I can use it for the valve lash plus a ton of other things.
That's why I call it wasting money.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: