Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By LMH
  • 1 Post By LMH
  • 2 Post By jolsen42
  • 1 Post By gn_n_60_shelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: canadian classic roadsters
Not Ranked     
Default 302 with dual quad edelbrock airgap intake

hello all

im at the assembly point with my small block 302 cobra build
what I am wondering is
I just scored a really great deal on a edelbrock dual quad air gap intake and 500cfm edelbrock carbs, problem im having is the edelbrock air cleaner is too tall to fit under the hood of my cobra and im wondering what others have used for air cleaners on a dual quad edelbrock intake?

please post pics
Old 05-16-2016, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Unless you have a 302 SBC that manifold is not going to work. 302 Fords can not use 302 SBC manifolds.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-16-2016 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: left out the word "Not"
Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Unless you have a 302 SBC that manifold is to going to work. 302 Fords can not use 302 SBC manifolds.

Ed
I'm sure he has a Ford manifold.

Some text comes up highlighted to what might appear as a link, but not necessarily hyperlinked by the threadposter.

Now to the question:

High much height will you have to play with, carb flange to underhood?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

IIRC the edelbrock dual quad intake system has a tallish but skinny manifold.
There should be enough room and clearance to run a drop base air filter system of sorts.

Depending on your preference, if you are after two s&h style round air filters or a single oval style cobra filter, you'll need to fabricate or have fabricated a "shroud" which allows you to drop the base of the air filters to below the flange height of the carbs.

I had this done with my intake to allow for larger filters to supply the air necessary to feed the engine. I'd like to claim credit for this smarts, but I actually pinched the idea off another forum member, and then had someone else fabricate the drop base metal shroud.

I'll post links and pics once I find them.
Hopefully that helps....
Old 05-16-2016, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
I'm sure he has a Ford manifold.

Some text comes up highlighted to what might appear as a link, but not necessarily hyperlinked by the threadposter.

Now to the question:

High much height will you have to play with, carb flange to underhood?

Amazon has fixed the link, Gaz. The previous link pointed to a SBC intake manifold.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Mike at universal spinners in Toronto did the fabrication work for mine.
universalspinners Toronto
Old 05-16-2016, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

It would be helpful if you could determine how much underhood height you have by placing a big ball of modeling clay on the front and rear fuel bowls, shutting the hood and then measuring the height of the compressed clay.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

When I encountered a similar problem on another car, I realized that the most critical dimension is the distance from the lip of the carburetor to the lid of the air cleaner. A well designed drop base will allow you to run a good size air cleaner, but all that air has to squeeze through the gap between the lid and carburetor. It also has to make a hard 90 degree turn that can cause turbulent air in the carb. I eventually had to mill 0.25" off the top of the intake manifold to get a little more room. Other solutions get more complicated - lowering the engine or raising the body. And, of course, there's the ever popular gigantic air scoop.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 05-16-2016, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CLASSIC ROADSTERS
Not Ranked     
Default Air Cleaner on dual quad 302

What is the height of the filter element you are using? I am using an filter element that is 1 3/4" tall with a filter - to - hood clearance of about 1".
Finishlineaccessories can provide .
Old 05-16-2016, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If it's like the original 8V setup, the Stelling and Hellings air filters had a flat base and were a little under 2" high. The carb centers are 6.5", so it limits what air cleaners you can use. The original air cleaners are not reproduced currently but there are other flat base 6.5" filters out there.
Larry
FuzzyDiceRide likes this.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn_n_60_shelby View Post
hello all

im at the assembly point with my small block 302 cobra build
what I am wondering is
I just scored a really great deal on a edelbrock dual quad air gap intake and 500cfm edelbrock carbs, problem im having is the edelbrock air cleaner is too tall to fit under the hood of my cobra and im wondering what others have used for air cleaners on a dual quad edelbrock intake?

please post pics
Is that an Edelbrock #1235 air cleaner? Accessories - Pro-Flo Series Round Air Cleaners - Edelbrock, LLC.

If so, it's spec'd as 3.5" tall. The question when looking for a replacement is this: Exactly how much too tall is it? If it's over 1" too tall you may need to look at a taller hood scoop, drop the engine, etc. As LMH pointed out, you may be able to go to a pair of smaller filters, but 6.5" units may be too big, as that Edelbrock page seems to indicate centre-to-centre carb spacing is 6 7/16".
Old 05-16-2016, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The trouble with dual quads is you can't run a drop base type aircleaner since they are so close to each other.

A custom enclosure with a pair of ducts to a pair or pod type air filters would work. Not as pretty though.

A pair of 6 x 2 K&N filters might be enough.

Gary
Old 05-16-2016, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I have a single carb Edelbrock air gap with a 1" phenolic (sp?) spacer and a round K&N air cleaner. I used PlayDough from my kid's toy box to figure out how much space I had.

I like the GT-350 oval "Cobra" dual air cleaner on dual quads. Can you fit one of those with a thin oval air filter? If you need more air flow, how about an oval air cleaner with two small top-flow air cleaners embedded in the top oval plate? It wouldn't look original, but it'd look pretty cool.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"

Last edited by Dangerous Doug; 05-16-2016 at 09:50 PM..
Old 05-16-2016, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Two of these, but with a smaller diameter which would fit within a machined oval air cleaner, along with a thin oval filter between the base and the top plate:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/66-1601-X-Stream-Top-Filter/dp/B003BDSBY0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1463460413&sr=8-7&keywords=K%26N+X-Stream+Top+Filter"]Amazon.com: K&N 66-1601 X-Stream Top Filter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ncvBmNTYL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ncvBmNTYL[/ame]

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 05-17-2016, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I have the top flow KN filter on my cobra; it does not look original, but boy does it flow cold air into the carb. You might want to consider some of the suggestions above concerning adapting an oval air intake to accept two small filters in the top.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Another option is to dump the air gap intake and use the standard Edelbrock dual quad. It's virtually a copy of the original Cobra intake and will fit better under the hood.
Larry
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Another option is to dump the air gap intake and use the standard Edelbrock dual quad. It's virtually a copy of the original Cobra intake and will fit better under the hood.
Larry
I have to agree with Larry. I ran an original Cobra dual quad with Edelbrock carbs, I also ran two 6.5 inch air cleaners with two inch filters. It looked quite authenic.

John O

FuzzyDiceRide and 120mm like this.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Is that an Edelbrock #1235 air cleaner? Accessories - Pro-Flo Series Round Air Cleaners - Edelbrock, LLC.

If so, it's spec'd as 3.5" tall. The question when looking for a replacement is this: Exactly how much too tall is it? If it's over 1" too tall you may need to look at a taller hood scoop, drop the engine, etc. As LMH pointed out, you may be able to go to a pair of smaller filters, but 6.5" units may be too big, as that Edelbrock page seems to indicate centre-to-centre carb spacing is 6 7/16".
My solution was to replace the 3" tall K&N air filter that came on my aircleaner with one about 2"-2 1/4" tall and to use the "FilterCharger" top with the cleaner element in it. K&N has a search function that can be programmed for filter diameter and height and then you just use the filter that it specs...mine turned out to be a stock filter for a Toyota Camry. I used children's play clay to measure the clearance to the underside of my hood scoop (my 10" diameter K&N system fits up into the hood scoop) and it turned out I had 1/4" clearance. I have not had any clearance issues.

I would, however, like to use a different intake manifold with a bit more height. In order to do that I'd need to go lower with the engine, which would introduce "phasing" issues with the driveshaft angle (having a 4-bar parallel rear suspension, I suppose I could tune all that out, though). I have heard on the Ford Mustang forums that the 5.0 Mustang GT convertibles used motor and transmission mounts that relocate the engine about 3/4" lower than the hardtop models. I cannot verify this, but a trip to a local Ford dealer for a comparison of the two motor mounts might prove it to be true.

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 05-19-2016, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

It's been 4 days since this thread was started by gn_n_60_shelby and he's been MIA since.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: canadian classic roadsters
Not Ranked     

hey sorry guys spending a lot of time in the garage. looks like the solution to the clearance on my cobra will be a (original 1960's piece that accepts the small carter 4 barrel carbs) offenhauser dual quad intake that I currently also have, and adapters to run the edelbrock carbs. this setup will be lower than the airgap intake and will fit under my hood with the dual aircleaners I ordered locally. I like more authentic looking parts anyways.
the car is getting very close to firing up

thank you guys for the tips. I always love seeing what others are running on there cars,
cycleguy55 likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: