Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF MKIII Boss9 504
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
The valve sizes bugged me, so I looked up the Cleveland 4V heads. They are 2.19"/1.71" and the Chrysler Hemi Heads from the 1960's are 2.25"/1.94".

Also at first glance I realized these are not a true Hemi head. However when I looked more closely these are far from a Hemi head. I'm not sure they are deep enough to require a domed piston. They quoted a chamber CC that sounds like you could use a flat top piston.

Now that said, the Hemi head design has its problems. So maybe they solved a lot of problems with this design. However I'm not sure they will outperform a set of CHI heads.

The pistons should look very much like this one.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Topfuelhydro - have you ran these heads on a SB Ford? What are those pistons out of?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Topfuelhydro - have you ran these heads on a SB Ford? What are those pistons out of?
These pistons are in my Boss 9 big block. Cylinder head config looks exactly the same. I have not seen the small block heads in person. My Kaase Boss 9 cylinder head pictured below.

Steven
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cool. I wondered if these were similar to the 429 Boss heads? How would you compare the Boss heads to a very good set of normal wedge type heads? and how many CID are you running.

oops
I see you said Kaase Boss 9. I believe they are quite superior to the original 429 Boss heads.

Last edited by olddog; 03-19-2017 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: oops
Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Cool. I wondered if these were similar to the 429 Boss heads? How would you compare the Boss heads to a very good set of normal wedge type heads? and how many CID are you running.

oops
I see you said Kaase Boss 9. I believe they are quite superior to the original 429 Boss heads.
504 cu in. Sorry not a Ford guy so I don't have any comparisons with Ford wedge heads. My background is BBC and Hemi engines. Yes these are quite superior to the original Boss 429 heads but that doesn't take a whole lot. Only 9.8:1 and 504 cu in making about 685 hp on the dyno I wouldn't think is too shabby. Most of that can be attributed to the heads and the ability to run a pretty healthy cam.

Steven
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topfuelhydro View Post
504 cu in. Sorry not a Ford guy so I don't have any comparisons with Ford wedge heads. My background is BBC and Hemi engines. Yes these are quite superior to the original Boss 429 heads but that doesn't take a whole lot. Only 9.8:1 and 504 cu in making about 685 hp on the dyno I wouldn't think is too shabby. Most of that can be attributed to the heads and the ability to run a pretty healthy cam.

Steven
Are those numbers Gasoline?

Not sure if this is in a boat running Nitro or if this is another project running gasoline? Or is it common to run Gasoline on the dyno and save the expense of running Nitro.

Well I assume top fuel in boats is Nitro. I have watched it on TV from time to time, but not payed it too much attention. For that matter I don't follow drag racing or Nascar either. I enjoy them all, when I'm at a track, not so much on TV.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Are those numbers Gasoline?

Not sure if this is in a boat running Nitro or if this is another project running gasoline? Or is it common to run Gasoline on the dyno and save the expense of running Nitro.

Well I assume top fuel in boats is Nitro. I have watched it on TV from time to time, but not payed it too much attention. For that matter I don't follow drag racing or Nascar either. I enjoy them all, when I'm at a track, not so much on TV.
Those numbers are pump gas in my cobra. The boat has a hemi with about 8,000 hp on nitro. We are about 3-4 yrs behind the car guys in hp cause we use a lot of their obsolete parts. Much cheaper.

Steven
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know how to hook 8000 hp to the water.

The Cobra sure is nice. The Engine looks sweet.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Those numbers are pump gas in my cobra. The boat has a hemi with about 8,000 hp on nitro. We are about 3-4 yrs behind the car guys in hp cause we use a lot of their obsolete parts. Much cheaper.

Steven
That Boss engine looks perfect in there !
How much extra work to fit it into the FF5 body
Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69boss429 View Post
That Boss engine looks perfect in there !
How much extra work to fit it into the FF5 body
Not a ton of extra work but that depends on your perspective. Notched top of passenger foot box. Moved entire inside of drivers footbox over 1-1/2-2". Moved inside 3/4" tube that supports brake/clutch pedals over. Made new mounting points for brake/clutch pedal assembly. Bent brake/clutch pedals. Fabricated own headers. More time in header fab than anything I guess. Some minor fab work on motor mounts. Have to install short block in car first, then heads with headers bolted up.
I like being different and I have a thing for Hemi style heads.

Steven
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Not a ton of extra work but that depends on your perspective. Notched top of passenger foot box. Moved entire inside of drivers footbox over 1-1/2-2". Moved inside 3/4" tube that supports brake/clutch pedals over. Made new mounting points for brake/clutch pedal assembly. Bent brake/clutch pedals. Fabricated own headers. More time in header fab than anything I guess. Some minor fab work on motor mounts. Have to install short block in car first, then heads with headers bolted up.
I like being different and I have a thing for Hemi style heads.

Steven
So do I, The dual quads perform better than any single 4 barrel I ever used on it
But, that stack injection in a Cobra is over the top
Attached Images

Topfuelhydro likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

69boss429, did I see your car at the Boss reunion in Carlisle circa 2006?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
69boss429, did I see your car at the Boss reunion in Carlisle circa 2006?
Indeed you did !
But it was in 2005
I have a pic with I think you are in the background of but it won't load on this site, here is another attached that is from 2006
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2017, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sorry,
I didn't mean to hijack this thread !
But seeing the pictures of those small block heads had the same effect as first seeing a Boss 429 engine back in 1969
I sincerely hope the manufacturer is successful in getting them fully sorted and reliable for the naysayers and sells many sets of them
Expensive ? Not really , compared to other setups it seems in line. It is all about what you want . I would be very happy with a set of them on a bored and stroked Boss 302 block with a pair of Holleys on top.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I figured that had to be you 69B! Not a car you see everyday with those tasteful mods.

With these small block heads can you imagine the eyes bugging out when you open the hood to show that "small block"? They'd stroke out trying to reconcile what they're seeing with what they already know.

I've got a little of that going now with the stroked Clevor in my Boss302. People loooooook at it... OK it has Cleveland heads and a Windsor block ...... but it just looks too big!

I've gotta say that a small block, with those heads, and injection in a Cobra like Topfuelhydro's boss9 would be magical!

Last edited by lovehamr; 03-20-2017 at 09:59 AM..
Old 03-20-2017, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Poor FE, like a red headed step child. A nice wedge with the intake valve moved toward the center of the chamber would be nice. Nothing out there for us, we have to struggle on with milk truck design heads.
IIRC you've managed to squeeze more than a few ponies out of your stepchild!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: