Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i don't know who screwed this motor up.. i never tested it with the bigger cam so i would not know..
Old 12-23-2017, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks bro. im sure we will find the problem. even if i have to pull the motor out again..
Old 12-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, there goes my torque sticks....
Old 12-23-2017, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Sure sounds like a compression issue to me, possibly along with the cam being installed wrong.
Sounds suspiciously like somebody built this stroker with flat top or domed pistons, giving you way more compression than you can deal with. Brent is absolutely right, you have serious problems and they are being masked by your mechanic, use of race gas, and other band aid approaches.
My 393 stroker runs 10.5 compression and runs fine on 91 pump gas and I'm running a 750 DP Holley. Running the 294HR cam with Vic Jr heads, which flow approximately the same as your AFR's. About the same hp/torque as yours and no pinging problems at any RPM.
If it were me (and glad it isn't) I would pull that motor, pull the heads and see exactly what you have in the engine and go from there. A few measurements would probably help- deck to piston height, valve to piston clearance, piston dish measurement (if they are dished,which I doubt at this point), combustion chamber volume, and just about anything else Brent suggests. A good third party mechanic would be a good idea about now so you know he doesn't have an axe to grind when he inspects the parts and build and can recommend changes without bias. Hopefully one who is familiar with strokers.

With the build you described, this thing should run great and have plenty of horsepower, no pinging, and do it all with a 750HP carb or at max a Quickfuel 850 and all on pump gas.
Dwight likes this.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

my new mechanic did not build my motor.. another engine builder did. yes im sure I have more comp then it says.. 58 cc heads. plus the heads were milled down to square them up. new cam change may have changed everything. this wasn't the cam that came with this new motor. it was the 240 248 cam. this motor has very little miles on it since new maybe 100 miles plus dyno runs.. did the bigger cam ping also? I don't know since I never driven it with it in.. only the small cam. who knows. it runs like a r ape. 550 hp with 535 ft lbs. trust me. I had a ride in it.. snaps your head back at full song..
Old 12-23-2017, 05:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

probe pistons. I forget which ones. got them from coast high p years ago. kit. crank rods pistons.. I bought the new block from ford racing. then the heads cam from another guy. custom cam to match the AFR 205s..
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

some people don't want to accept the true.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

??? huh?
Old 12-23-2017, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

truth is it doesn't run pump.. lets leave it at that for now. merry Christmas ..
Old 12-23-2017, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

This is not a cam problem. Like I said before, if you have the components you say you have, you should easily be able to run on pump gas. The only thing keeping you from doing that is your compression ratio and possibly your oversized carb.

Ball is in your court. You've been given good advice by several people, including Brent, who is way more knowledgable than I am on this stuff. It may run like a raped ape, but if you fix what is ailing, you will actually be able to drive it on the street and fill the tank at a gas station.

Have a great Christmas.

Bob
Old 12-24-2017, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand that. but when they bash my mechanic that's not going to work. he didn't build my motor. just put my car together. like I said my engine did not like the 750 carb I had. it was a BIGS 750 DP. sure it made power but not like the 950 did. I have the dyno sheets.. will it run on a 750 yes. but im losing power.. think ill head over to fordstrokers,com. talk to woody.. thanks again..
Old 12-24-2017, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I guess I don't understand what your posts or questions are about.

You are posting the specs to a car you've never driven, but the only symptoms you can give are that it won't run on pump gas.

Am I trying to help with the wrong problem?

Woody specializes in Windsors like I do and will tell you the same thing.....something ain't right.

Everything else you have described works as it should. You had a big cam, you put a smaller cam in it, the power dropped a little bit and the torque stayed the same or went up a bit. That's how it always works.

A 950 carb will most of the time make more horsepower on the dyno. Driving them around on the street can be a different story.

I understand that your mechanic didn't build the engine, but if the specs show it's 10.5:1 compression, don't let him or anyone else tell you that 10.5:1 is too high to run on pump gas. If he's telling you that, he's 100% incorrect....COPO Camaro or not.

Someone got something wrong in your engine. Either the heads have been milled too much, the wrong pistons are in it, or the cam is way advanced. Either way, there's no way in the world that I would let someone tell me to quit touching it and drive it like that. Buying drums of race gas gets old quick.
Buzz likes this.
Old 12-24-2017, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

After Woody tells him, he'll probably move along and keep asking until someone tells him just whatever it is he wants to hear. Knowledgeable people taking their valuable time to tell the truth and give solid advice just doesn't cut it for some folks.

Merry Christmas all!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 12-24-2017, 05:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
... he'll probably move along and keep asking until someone tells him just whatever it is he wants to hear.
Well I'll be happy to do that. In fact, I'll even bill him for it, if that helps. SW, just keep driving the car the way it is, throw some racing gas in there when you feel like it, and that pesky pinging will eventually give you the opportunity to put a new engine in your car.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

lol typical forum answer. look my mechanic did all he could to get my car to run on pump or a 50 50 mix. he did not say I have to much compression just said it will not run on pump gas. he knows what he is doing.. do you? yes I have to buy race gas for now. it is not a daily driver. weekends only . yes ill pay over $11 a gal 5 gal pale is $55 in nj. do I like it? no. until I find out what is inside this motor ill have to live with it.. got it? the car just got done last week. no I didn't get to drive it yet. the roads in nj have salt on it.. its winter?? brett knows his stuff. you other guys just need to relax. everybody has a answer. sure its easy to say oh just rip your motor apart again.. easy to say after its been in the shop for over 4 months getting this car done. it sat in my garage for over 10 years.. enjoy your holiday. this will be my last post on this forum.. thank you..
Old 12-24-2017, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked windsor View Post
enjoy your holiday.. thank you..
You too and you're welcome. All the best.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 12-24-2017, 07:05 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... and God bless us, every one.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There's always corral.net....
Old 12-24-2017, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked windsor View Post
lol typical forum answer. look my mechanic did all he could to get my car to run on pump or a 50 50 mix. he did not say I have to much compression just said it will not run on pump gas. he knows what he is doing.. do you? yes I have to buy race gas for now. it is not a daily driver. weekends only . yes ill pay over $11 a gal 5 gal pale is $55 in nj. do I like it? no. until I find out what is inside this motor ill have to live with it.. got it? the car just got done last week. no I didn't get to drive it yet. the roads in nj have salt on it.. its winter?? brett knows his stuff. you other guys just need to relax. everybody has a answer. sure its easy to say oh just rip your motor apart again.. easy to say after its been in the shop for over 4 months getting this car done. it sat in my garage for over 10 years.. enjoy your holiday. this will be my last post on this forum.. thank you..
When you ask for advice only to then complain about and criticize the advice offered, it begs the question why did you bother to ask in the first place and reinforces in our minds how valuable the Forum Ignore List feature really is.

You have now achieved permanent member status on my and probably others Ignore List.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FWIW, I have recently been perusing the different BMW Z4 Roadster forums, because my son recently bought one and we have been doing a little work on it. Let me tell you, the experience/skill level of the members of this forum, and Fordfe.com, as compared to the members of the Z4 forums (who appear to be mostly 20-somethings, or a little older), is absolutely astounding. It is like the difference between a 30 year trial lawyer and a second year law student. The advice, tips, tricks, and diagnoses found on this forum really are the gold standard.
Dwight likes this.