Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-26-2017, 06:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     
Default Air-Gap intake, 392 Superformance and clearance

I have seen posts about clearance issues using an RPM Air-Gap. I have the FMS 392 (430HP version from 2004). That came with a FMS intake, which is no more than a Vic Jr that was re-branded. After reading posts and looking at height size of the Vic Jr and RPM Air-Gap I pulled the trigger. My big reason for pulling the trigger and feeling confident is the height on the front side of the carb pad is actually lower than the Vic Jr, while the rear is slightly higher. However the way the engine sits in the car the smallest clearance measurement was the front of the air cleaner, meaning the lower height on the front of the carb pad would actually increase clearance.

I have yet to get it installed but have both intakes on my bench now and feel it will be fine. It is hard to say 100% as the Air-Gap sits lower in the valley, which means sitting on my bench it is actually higher, but when I deduct the part that will hang in the valley it appears to be fine. I will have it together by the 1st.

Before clearance scoop shot, air cleaner and current pics. I wish I would have taken a better scoop before pic, you cannot see it very good without back light in the bay. You can see some chrome, but the top of the cleaner is just slightly higher than what you see, IE not much room. What you see is the vertical part of the top of the air cleaner. You really do not see the angled part and top in that scoop pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by carguyohio; 12-26-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Old 12-27-2017, 04:23 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

We have installed on a car for a customer and had no clearance issues.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 12-27-2017, 07:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You should be fine.
The FMS M9424-V351 is the same intake as the 2981 Vic Jr.
http://sbftech.com/index.php?action=...0;attach=11796
Carb pad height for both are 5.75"

Carb pad height on the RPM Air Gap 7581: 5.75"

That intake PN 7581 (1500-6500 rpm) is the next mod I'm considering and want to lose the Super Vic 2924 (6.25" pad height) I have (4500-8500 rpm).
Not what I'd call a brilliant intake for street driving, although if I were 16 yrs old I'd probably choose that over the Air Gap....
Old 12-27-2017, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Clearance

I have a ford racing 427W, its mounted on Olthof motor mounts (without the shim) no vertical spacers, the manifold is a Super Vic, carb is a 750XP.

I have a 1/2" and 3/8 spacer (HVH and insulation), with a 2.5" round air filter element in a 9" diameter air cleaner, with a flow through top (not shown).

It all fits into the scoop with about ~3/8" to spare.

NOTE Its pretty tight but the Olthof poly mounts don't allow much if any movement with torque, yet don't cause any droning or anything of the like...

One trick that gained me about an additional 1/2" + of clearance was cutting off the flange on the air cleaner base, this allows the base to sit just above the carb bowls this limits you to a 9" round air cleaner on a long bowl XP anyway- see pic
Attached Images

Last edited by tortuga; 12-27-2017 at 08:22 AM..
Old 12-27-2017, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Front and side down low

Front view with a little pen lite on the coolant tank...
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2017, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default And

Goddamned iPad can't change file names (well I can't anyway) wifey got me a Windows tablet thing so this iPad is not long for this world
Attached Images

Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Here it is. Overall I have slightly more clearance in the front and slightly less in the back as I had calculated. This post if for any Superformance owner with a 351 block thinking about this.
Attached Images

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: