Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gaz64
  • 1 Post By blykins

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 427 W 15-680s canton pan fill volume?

So I’ve been filling my ford racing 427/535 engine with the above pan with 7qts of oil along with pre filling the oil filter...the rectangular box at the bottom of the pan is 4” deep by 10 by 12.5 which works out to 2.18 qts per inch.

Am I over filling?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Your volume works out to 8.1 litres or 8.56 quarts.

I don't think 7 quarts is anywhere near to close to overfilling.

The rotating assembly is nowhere near the oil level with the engine running, unless you add about another 4 quarts.

Gary
eschaider likes this.

Last edited by Gaz64; 07-07-2019 at 11:11 PM..
Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Are you seeing any signs that would suggest that you are over filling the oil, such as frothy oil?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Lots of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1795 View Post
Are you seeing any signs that would suggest that you are over filling the oil, such as frothy oil?
It sure seems like there’s a lot of oil up on the baffles in the valve covers...just thinking that maybe the deeper stroker crank is whipping up the oil? The stroke is 4” which means the CENTERS of the big ends are 2” below the crank CL, which on a Windsor is right at the bottom of the block right? Wondering How far down do the ends of the con rods and counter weights go...

Steve H
SPF 1764
Old 07-08-2019, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Oil on the baffles in the valve covers may be related to a high volume oil pump If the the counter weights or any part of the crank are dipping into the oil in the pan you can test for that. Run the engine with low revs for a minute or two and then turn it off. Check the dip stick. If the crank is hitting the oil you should see small air bubbles in the oil on the dipstick. You could also check the oil after driving the car. With a longer run period and higher revs you should minimally see air bubbles in the oil and it may also look a little white or cream colored because your crank is trying to turn the oil into whipped cream.

If you are seeing signs that the crank is whipping up the oil, do not run the engine anymore until you have lowered the oil level. If the oil looks creamy I would replace it and the oil filter and start over.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
So I’ve been filling my ford racing 427/535 engine with the above pan with 7qts of oil along with pre filling the oil filter...the rectangular box at the bottom of the pan is 4” deep by 10 by 12.5 which works out to 2.18 qts per inch.

Am I over filling?
Canton says that pan has 9 quart system capacity. If anything you're UNDER-filling it.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...-race-pan.html
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga View Post
It sure seems like there’s a lot of oil up on the baffles in the valve covers...just thinking that maybe the deeper stroker crank is whipping up the oil? The stroke is 4” which means the CENTERS of the big ends are 2” below the crank CL, which on a Windsor is right at the bottom of the block right? Wondering How far down do the ends of the con rods and counter weights go...

Steve H
SPF 1764
Given the separation and all the metal between the crankcase and valve covers, how would a crankshaft whipping oil be visible in the valve cover baffles?

IMO oil in the cylinder heads and valve covers is a result of oil pressure and volume. Once the oil gets pumped up there through the pushrods the rocker arms will spray it everywhere. Normal.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar Classics LS427. Self-built 408W, AFR 195 heads, Performer RPM Intake, Quick Fuel 750, 407rwhp, 479rwtq
Not Ranked     

I went thru this exercise a few months ago. I have the same pan. When I bought it, Canton/Summit listed it as a 7 qt pan. Now it is listed as 8 qt on Summit and 9 qt on Canton (last time I checked). Since I didn’t want to take the pan back off, I did some dimensional math and finally decided that for normal around town spirited driving, I would add 7 qts to the pan (plus whatever extra I can fit in the oil filter). If I am going racing, I’ll add another quart. Never had a problem with this. Once I tried to add the 9 quarts (since all 9 quarts will fit in the pan and not touch the crank) but it started leaking oil out of the timing cover seal.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

9 quart system capacity. I put 9 quarts in the engine, prime the pump and you'll end up with a full oil filter (close to a quart) and the rest in the oil pan.

A 4" stroke is not a long stroke. I'll tell you that these pans work with 4.250" strokes on SBF's.
Morris likes this.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     

Do you have a windage tray? That will help to keep the crank from spinning the oil that's in the pan.

I have the big block but when I had the pan off one time I cleaned it real nice and filled it with water in measured amounts to see where I liked it filled to. I did some math with my dipstick in place under the car and referenced where full would be. Works out to 9qts.

John
Old 04-14-2020, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2158, ERA 427SC 649 sold
Not Ranked     

Seven quarts in that pan should be fine for street driving. Is your oil pressure normal when cornering or breaking hard and is your oil temp under 230 on long hard drives? You should never experience a oil starvation issue (drop in oil pressure), but generally the farther the oil from the crank the better.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Looking at this same pan for a replacement. Pin hole in my current which is 9" deep and hangs below the bellhousing. 1 inch will give plenty of clearance. Out of stock everywhere but I think I found a shop that has them in stock. What did everyone decide for oil. The statement about added 9 and it is coming out the timing cover seals is concerning.
Old 02-16-2023, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance-Port fuel injected 427 stroker.
Not Ranked     

Its 8qrts total with filter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: