Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By svassh
  • 1 Post By Buzz
  • 1 Post By t walgamuth
  • 1 Post By Mark O'Neal

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default What isthe last year the 5.2 flat plane crank voodoo V8 was in the Shelby Mustang?

I've never sampled one but when I heard they would wind to 8,000 rpm
I was curious. I checked and it sounds like it was discontinued in the GT350 Shelby Mustang and GT350-R in 2020 model year, just because it wouldn't meet emissions in Europe.It was rated at a sky-high redline of 8,250 rpm and, of course, 526 horsepower and 429 pound-feet of torque.

From a site called Motorbiscuit

"RELATED: Engines Exposed: What is a Flat-Plane Crankshaft?

First and foremost, a flat-plane configuration means it can be lighter, smaller, and because it has less mass it can be spun faster. That’s also why you can rev the Voodoo past 8,000 RPM, which is kinda crazy. Cross-plane engines require more counterweights which increase weight making it harder to spin.

All of this concludes in a screaming banshee shriek of power. It is in the ballpark of the sound a winged-up Ferrari makes. And guess what? Ferraris are flat-plane-crank driven. The vibrations and shakes can always be mitigated, but more power for less effort means more of an advantage. Advantages are partially what wins races. "

I gather the 2021 Shelby GT500 had an engine called Predator,
a supercharged 5.2-liter V-8 that summons 760 horsepower and 625 pound-feet of torque.But no flat plane crank so to me it wouldn't have the same sound.

Was the engine saved for any 2021 or 2022 Ford or am I already talking history? by the way did the 2020s with that engine go up in value?
Old 11-02-2021, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Come on Wallace, getting bored? I can't believe you seriously don't know the answer. Which by the way is a Google search away.

Whatever the production years of the GT350. It was the only car it was used in. I think it ended with 2021 model year but maybe it was 2020.

Large displacement FPC engines are a design nightmare. They inherently create sympathetic vibrations that require much more counterbalancing than any other engine. The effects in smaller engines are simply ignored. The effects in the Voodoo were so great that if you look at the underside of a GT350 you will see things dangling from the exhaust pipes near the catalytic converters. Those are downstream dampeners. The fact that the proper installation of Voodoo required external compensation was the reason Ford never released Voodoo as a crate engine. The power train is a "system". In typical crate engine applications the region of influence is a sphere drawn around the engine and is in control of the manufacturer. When the installation leaves that sphere and the manufacturer is not involved, the liability for botched installations, in the case of Voodoo, is almost a given (if you can simulate it, then you have Ford's supercomputers...)

By the way, GM has admitted the design challenges in the new 5.5L FPC engine in the new Corvette Z06. They also extend dampening beyond the scope of the engine. They explained that the transmission used on the Z06 while essentially the same as the standard Corvette operationally, has extended "ribs" to stiffen the case and absorb the engine vibrations. And they said, we're leaving some of it behind because we can't get rid of it all and it'll be seen as a "personality" of the car.

Ford's version was more difficult - they started with the modular Coyote engine. GM started from a blank slate and concluded that they should shorten the stroke. That helped some...

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 11-02-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Old 11-02-2021, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF MK2 with 347 Ford and 4 Webers
Not Ranked     

2020 was the last year for the FPC 5.2, they were produced from 2015 to 2020. The 2019 and 2020 models are valued higher except for the 2015 models which were limited production. The reason is the 2019 and 2020 are considered a 2nd gen version motor and in theory more reliable. However Ford is rather vague on what the improvements were. The reason the car was discontinued was due to the GT500 release in 2020.

I own a 2019 GT350R it is an incredible car and a cold start of that motor will put a smile on anyones face.
Bill D likes this.

Last edited by svassh; 11-02-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by svassh View Post
2020 was the last year for the FPC 5.2, they were produced from 2015 to 2020. The 2019 and 2020 models are valued higher except for the 2015 models which were limited production. The reason is the 2019 and 2020 are considered a 2nd gen version motor and in theory more reliable. However Ford is rather vague on what the improvements were. The reason the car was discontinued was due to the GT500 release in 2020.
Yeah, that's right. There was an overlap of the GT350 with the new GT500. I was at Barrett Jackson when Raj Nair said there would only be one Shelby branded Mustang at a time, so I was surprised when the GT350 continued.

Early instances of the GT350 had some issues with oil consumption. Ford said a quart every 1000 miles was normal and that those who had issues had ignored the strict break in rules. Some used much more than that. A few got new engines. The "Gen2 engine" was really the version used in the GT350R (ie, there was only one version in the last two years.)

I've heard one - it does sound awesome.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 289 Street
Not Ranked     

I have a ‘17 R. LOVE the engine. 8,000 rpm brings the hair up on your neck guaranteed. Another milestone for Ford fanatics.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF MK2 with 347 Ford and 4 Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armrer View Post
I have a ‘17 R. LOVE the engine. 8,000 rpm brings the hair up on your neck guaranteed. Another milestone for Ford fanatics.
Yep, lots of fun at an HPDE day if you haven't yet. I was invited to a GT500 driving event at TMS last year. Drove my GT350R to it expecting I would fall in love with the GT500 and be trading it in.

Is the GT500 better, faster yes but its also heavier, automatic and doesn't sound as good as the GT350R. Drove my car home and gladly tucked it away in the garage.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

8,000 really isn't hard hard to attain, flat plane or not.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Lol - yep. You can rev just about any motor to 8000 rpm. How many times you can do it though, becomes a whole 'nother story!
jolsen42 likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-11-2021, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
8,000 really isn't hard hard to attain, flat plane or not.
Well actually, the reason for a flat plane crank is not the particular rpm you can do safely. The reduced weight of the crank will allow you to accelerate it and decelerate it more quickly. This is useful on an autocross course for example.
I'd like one.....the sound is pretty cool too.
Buzz likes this.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It sounds okay and I fully understand the reason for a flat plane crank, it's not complicated, but it is pointless.

I've been building motors for 33 years. 8K is not a big deal, even if you do it a lot....even with a 90° crank.

However, my basic premise is that RPM is my enemy. A daily driver dual turbo 427 Windsor will make 1179FWHP at 4,600.00 rpm, so why bother spinning it that high.

RPM is for little motors that want to pretend they cen keep up with big motors.

The Ford engine is a novelty, nothing more.
joyridin' likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: