Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By mrmustang
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-25-2023, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     
Default 200 cell cat good to reduce exhaust smell?

Hi!
does a 200 cell cat do something for less exhaust gas smell?

considering installing it in the exhaust manifold

Regards
THX, FFR 427 MKIII.1 F5R1007105RD, SPF #618
Old 06-25-2023, 05:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austria_Cobra View Post
Hi!
does a 200 cell cat do something for less exhaust gas smell?

considering installing it in the exhaust manifold

Regards
When you say exhaust smell, do you mean straight exhaust, or perhaps unburned fuel?

Adding a catalytic converter will not stop the smell of the exhaust, but perhaps a better tune on the car might.

Bill S.
eschaider and twobjshelbys like this.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-25-2023, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A Cat does chemical reaktions, HC is the most smelling part I know sofar and a Cat should split that.
I was told that the standard smell on exhaust gas will be significant reduced , as the cat is on working temperatur.
Unburned gasoline will not be effected.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:25 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What you need is a fuel fragrance. Click here: https://www.powerpluslubricants.com/...ragrances.html One of my favorites is the bubble gum flavor.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 06-25-2023, 03:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
A Cat does chemical reaktions, HC is the most smelling part I know sofar and a Cat should split that.
I was told that the standard smell on exhaust gas will be significant reduced , as the cat is on working temperatur.
Once again, are you smelling a lean or too rich gas smell, or raw gasoline in itself?

Do your eyes water when the car is at idle?

I ask the questions I do to narrow down exactly what you are smelling, this way we can then assist you in resolving the issue.

Bill S.

Old 06-25-2023, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I think you may have answered your own question Austria Cobra!

As long as you have made these determinations, I would throw caution to the wind and just go for it — if I were you. Based on your knowledge, if you put two or more of those on each bank and then use the proper fuel fragrances, that Patrick has already pointed you at, you should be good to go!

Personally, I think the "Reefer Madness" would be an excellent choice, with potential fringe benefits.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi,
At first I thought you were joking with these scents, but if 2 say it, there must be something to it
I will give it a try and look for something I can get in Europe.

Actually I am waiting for engine adjustment, but it smells like all V8 gas engines, all the same exhaust smell on FFr, SPF, all other Cobras. I do not smell special things like gas or eyes ar burning. If I lay down to the end of the pipe and stay there for minutes, it will of course or I am dead

Want to figure out the chemical Part, the technical part, will the 200 cell cat change something ? Normal cats of course do it, but I do not finde infos on sport cats stand alone.
Old 06-26-2023, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Too much fuel over a period of time will cause a catalytic convertor to clog/fail. Fix your fueling problem!
Old 06-26-2023, 04:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
Too much fuel over a period of time will cause a catalytic convertor to clog/fail. Fix your fueling problem!

X2, and it really does not matter whether it is a cobra, or a Fiesta , if you have an engine that is not properly tuned, nothing will fix your problem. Get the car tuned properly, then see if you experience the same issues, if so, you are done, if not, you can take the next step. However, and I do mean HOWEVER, if you have excessive emissions, where the smell is so over powering, adding a catalytic converter or fuel scents to your gas tank, will not fix the problem, only mask it. This is why I asked what I did above, trying to get to the root cause of the issue at hand. So far, your responses seem to be skating around answering them with any certainty, as you may not be technically oriented enough to give a proper answer...If that is the case, then best to take a step back, save your money, get the car tuned, then come back to us if the issues are still persisting.

Bill S.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know guys! this not something new.

on my SPF it is adjusted best, 12L/100km, came in with over 30! from US.
runs perfect
but after 1minute of run, the exhaust smell takes all of the room, clothings, outside
this not anything new to V8 without exhaust treatment.

I am asking, what does a 200 cell cat do better on that.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:17 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post

Personally, I think the "Reefer Madness" would be an excellent choice, with potential fringe benefits.
Uhhh, I don't know about that. You get pulled over in a Cobra for mild misbehavior and your car is reeking of weed I think you're probably in for an all-around bad day.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:33 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I know guys! this not something new.

on my SPF it is adjusted best, 12L/100km, came in with over 30! from US.
runs perfect
but after 1minute of run, the exhaust smell takes all of the room, clothings, outside
this not anything new to V8 without exhaust treatment.

I am asking, what does a 200 cell cat do better on that.
Your car does not need a catalytic converter, it needs to be properly tuned. Usually it's a lean, or in the case, very lean condition that causes the smell and your eyes to water/burn. A decent tune up, and a retune of your carb should fix the issue. Or, the carb could have a bit of dirt in it, blocking off, say the air idle circuit, or a jet blocked, or bad needle valve. Have you pulled the plugs to see what they show?

Bill S.