Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2003, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Air filters

Been noticing lately a lot of guys especially the guys with the big motors running those little air filters from K&N. I know they flow better than the Stellings but all the charts I read say they are way too small for my 351 so how can they possibly work on a 427?
All the guys that run open track with us have the large 14-16 inch filters. Both the BB and sb guys all run the big filter.
I have deceided to lower my engine about two inches so I can run one of those big filters. I hope it is worth the effort.
Anybody out there switched to a big filter and noticed the difference?

Cranky
Old 01-03-2003, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Cranky,

When I was dyno testing my 428 last spring I took several air filters. One was the K & N big filter. I made a pull with the filter without any oil in the filter. Then I used the Red oil that K&N provides and made another pull. I lost about 4 hp when I added the oil. Compared to my 3" air filter (that fits under my hood) I lost about 7 or 8 hp. when I put on the big filter without any oil added.

I was running a 750 holley, the air temp was about 80 degree and there was about 88% humidity. In fact it started raining before I finished all my dyno time. However, we did not make any carb adjustments while I was testing the air filters.

Before I got on the dyno one of our local (Chevy) Nascar trucks had been on the dyno testing several sizes of K&N air filters. His tests also showed a loss of hp when he added the oil to his filters and also showed no advantage in hp over his 4" Moroso air filter.

Just a little input.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-03-2003, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clois,
I plan on running the 14X 3" paper filter and changing it every year as I only put about 1,500 miles a year on the motor.
I guess the K&N is good for those who don't want to buy a new filter all the time.

Cranky
Old 01-03-2003, 06:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cranky,

I run the 15" length, 8" width, and 3" height K&N filter on my 351 and I really noticed a difference in it and the one for show that is 21" long and has the Cobra top. But I don't see much difference in the K&N and any other good filter that size that I have tried. That size just happens to fit under my hood well with plenty of clearance.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-03-2003, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cranky, Too small of an air filter can reduce power. In this case, bigger is always better. The reason a lot of guys may not see a difference from small to big, is because their motor does not have the claimed hp. scott
Old 01-06-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Alot of the people that are running single 4bbl carbs are using the K&N E-3505 oval air filter. The filter height is only 2" and the filter flows around 390 cfm. There is a 4" version that will flow around 775 cfm, however it is too tall for most Big Block Cobra's. I was able to have some custom 3" K&N filters made that will flow around 600 cfm. I run the 3" filter unless I think the other car/bike is really fast, then I will take my chance with no filter at all.