Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2003, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question 302 HO Intake

...maybe someone knows the answer to this. I just started disassembling my donor car, a 93 T-bird with a 302 HO, AOD (I think) and an 8.8 rear with a locking 3.08 and disc brakes.

Here is the question: Is the intake on the T-Bird the same as the intake on the Mustangs with the same engine??? Seems as if I remember an article in C&D back in the early '90s that mentioned a much more restrictive intake on the T-Bird because of a lack of hood room. Anyone know the facts???
Old 05-01-2003, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 64 smallblock Fairlane
Send a message via AIM to W2zero
Not Ranked     

Unless someone else put an HO motor in there it is the generic 5.0 roller motor. The first tipoff is.....which side is the throttle body on? The HO always had the TB on the passenger side. The only other factory application for the HO was on the Lincoln Mk Vlll .

Are you sticking with the injection or switching it over to carbureter? The heads on the generic 5.0 are the E6SE models and they are not a performance head. You may wish to upgrade to the E7TE truck heads like the HO cars had or there are a veritable plethora of aftermarket heads. Explorer heads are interesting as well but the differing spark plug angle is a problem with some headers.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR Lola Spider
Not Ranked     

I've built up a MN12 5.0L motor before, although it was in my 1991 Mercury Cougar. This motor (at least in my car) was a HO and used the E7TE heads. The intake is the same as the 1994-1995 Mustang 5.0L intake. It is squashed somewhat, compared to the standard intake, but works reasonably well. Replace it with a Ford GT40 intake and you'll see some nice gains, I know I did. Regardless of which heads you have put'em in the trash, if you can, since they are quite restrictive. If you can't toss them get after the exhaust ports and have larger valves installed. Best would be to get some aftermarket Al heads.

Ron

Last edited by rlearp; 05-02-2003 at 01:41 AM..
Old 05-02-2003, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! This sure beats digging through 15 years of old car magazines to find an answer.

The TB is on the passenger side in this car and I'll be in the garage tonight to decypher the heads.

Thanks again for the response!

TWM
Old 05-27-2003, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

...been doing some more digging on this engine. I also picked up a copy of the book on Ford Electronic Engine Controls and Fuel Injection Systems.

The book pointed out that the HO and the 351 have a different firing order than the generic 302 engines.

Oddly enough, the book does not include the T-bird as an HO source although the one I have appears to be a stock installation and I have seen other HOs in Cougars and T-Birds that didn't appear to have been swapped. ...guess it doesn't make much difference where it came from because I have what I want for a starting point.

Thanks again for your input guys. Incidentally, that book on the EECIV and FI systems is well worth reading. I found mine at the Barnes and Noble store so I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped from a Motorsports dealer - same price. ...

TWM