Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2003, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ford Racing 392 vs Roush 402R

Now that I've made my Cobra chassis selection (SPF), I'm looking for advice on the engine. I've already decided small block is the way I want to go, with the TKO II for a transmission. I'd like somewhere between 400-500 hp, and the same for torque. I've found a couple of "crate" choices, and I'd like opinions on these.

Ford racing has a 392 (351 stroker) that's advertised for $6295 list price. They claim 430hp and 450ft lbs. Search www.fordracing.com for M-6007-D392

Roush Performance has a 402 (351 stroker) that's around $9500 list. They claim 525hp and 500ft lbs. Look at "engines" at www.roushparts.com "table of contents".

The Roush uses some really top name parts in their assembly. And it comes balanced. The Ford, I'd have to take to a machine shop to be balanced, polished, and re-assembled. And maybe a new oil pan? I'm looking for an assembly that will run strong on pump gas (premium), and last a long time without a lot of tweaking and tuning.

If you folks have other options that I may have missed, please let me know about those as well.

As always, thanks for the input! Your opinions were instrumental in my choosing SPF, and I look forward to your engine opinions as well.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Roush engine

Ray,
Probably nobody knows more or builds more sb Ford engines than Jack Roush Co. $9,500 seems like a fair price for that engine. I would like to see four bolt mains though.

Good choice regardless,

Cranky
Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What are the comparative warranty's? I seem to recall Ford not really offering a great warranty, but independent builders often do -- I'm sure depending on the build. Something to think about.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think that you answered your own question. A custom built 402 gives you more than a "crate" 392. You already said that you would have to modify the 392. If you are not sensitive on price, choose the Roush between the two engines.

Do you have a local engine builder that you can trust around your area? Once you have the engine, you will need someone capable of maintaining it, if you do not have the skills or equipment.

If you do not mind traveling up to five hours away, you could have Eric at Performance Engineering, 2681 Morgan Lane, State Road 128, Ross, OH 45013 (513-738-5001) custom build you an engine. I am having my engine built by John Vermeerch at Total Performance, 44050 N. Grosbeck Highway, Clinton Township, MI 48036. His phone number is 313-845-7595. Do you recognize it? It is the technical hotline for Ford Racing. John's shop is the technical hotline for Ford Racing.

The advantage of a custom engine is that you can get exactly what you want or will meet your needs plus balancing, blue printing, etc. is already done.

If you are planning to put in the engine yourself, you might also want to contact Christian Nelson at The Engine Factory. They are located at 140 Ellis Ave Ave, Irvington, NJ 07011 (1-800-704-5385). They will ship anywhere and will supply a fairly custom dyno tested engine that they will stand behind. Other options are also available if you are willing to install yourself.

Do not limit your thinking to a crate engine. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Levy Racing built FFR w/351W
Not Ranked     

For another option, a builder that is known for producing a great 408 is Levy Racing
Old 02-16-2003, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Ray,
Where are you going to order your SPF from? They may be able to steer you to a good engine builder / installer. Eric @ Performance Engineering is highly recommended. He builds a non stroked 351 with all the goodies that puts out 465HP / 450 lbstq that you could pick up for less $ than the Roush (although the Roush is a great choice also), and he build a great 418 stroker with 540HP and about the same torque for a little more $$ than the Roush.
A lot of people were raving about the 392 Ford crate when it first came out, but I've heard / read of a few oil problems since then. I know a builder that put one in an SPF and I drove it when he finished. Ran strong. Supposedly they were under rated by Ford and actually put out about 450HP. They have some decent parts (intake is an exact copy of the Edelbrock Vic Jr), but it isn't the same quality you would get going with a builder. Depends on what you want to spend, I guess. You can pick up a crate 392 for a lot less than the 6300.00 list price; I've seen them selling for around 5400.00. A 418 from Perf. Engineering will cost you about twice that...........but its money well spent, and you can't even come close to compairing the quality of the parts. Eric will put together a "package price" for you that includes the TKOII and install if you want.
IMO, you don't want to skimp here......you're talking about the heart of your Cobra. It's bad enough that you're going with a SB......you may as well make it a healthy one!!

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 02-16-2003 at 04:20 PM..
Old 02-17-2003, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RF GT40,302 Ford with Motec EFI
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Engine Choices

Ray:

Why don't you buy my car SPF #1454. It has a Southern Automotive stoked 351W to 395. 455 HP balanced and blueprinted with all the bell's and whistles (see my add on Cobra Country. I will sell it to you for less than what it would cost to buy the SPF and a crate engine! Check out the pictures on this site of the car.

Rolf
Old 02-17-2003, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Roush engine does come with a 2yr, 24k mile limited warranty. The Ford 392 has none. Where can I find the 392 for $5400?

Carroll - I live in Oregon, so I think the locations you listed are more than 5 hrs away! I know...folks see "Aurora" and think Colorado or east coast....Aurora, OR....population 614 (last time we counted!) ;~)

I've looked through the used ads, and I think I'll come out ok price-wise on building new. I want to try the install myself. I've got a good set of tools, a 4-post lift (best investment I ever made), and have removed/installed a few engines in the past. If I was installing a big-block, I might think otherwise. That's a tight fit!

Anyway, I believe a small-block is the right engine for the SPF. That decision has been made......not an easy one btw.....whew!

And I'm not too sensitive on price, but I'm REALLY sensitive on "value". If I'm only getting 50hp for $4000, that's not a good value, in my opinion. But if the finished product will last significantly longer, or cost less in the long run as far as maintenance, parts, replacement, "necessary" upgrades, labor, looks, etc., then there's "value" in that extra $4k.

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate the feedback....even from you BB folks (TerrysSPF).... ;~)
Old 02-17-2003, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to TheSaint71
Not Ranked     
Default Hey Ray, where are you? I live In Oregon....

Hey Ray I couldn't help to notice you live in Oregon, and mentioned Aurora..... I live in Canby, right next to Aurora... You this close to me? I always eat the the mustahe' food join lol... The Roush sounds great too.....

Jamin
Old 02-17-2003, 07:30 PM
Charter Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Shell Valley Coupe is here! Now the building begins....
Not Ranked     
Cool

Ray check out this post,

408 Windsor for sale

It was in a Superformance and may still be. Better yet it is in Coos Bay.

Scott S
Silverton/Sublimity.

Also one of the best Cobra builders on the west coast lives in Aurora. Cary Gressinger of C&G Automotive.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray: best price I've seen lately on the 392 is from Sunrise Ford in Southern Calif> 909-822-4401. 5600.00
Old 02-20-2003, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked to Sunrise Ford. They said the best they could do was $6500.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ray: I think the prices are going up because the 392 is getting so popular. They had a ad in the winter edition Hot Rod mag called "Engines" for 5600.00.
Try getting it from an engine builder. I know Eric @ Perf. Engineering puts them into Cobra's. You may be able to get a good package price from him, but he may not sell just the engine to you (at least not for what he paid for it - business), but he has nice package deals that include: engine, Tremec trans, install and all parts included for decent prices. 513-738-5001
Old 02-20-2003, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I misread and thought that you were in Ohio, not Oregon. Sorry about that.