Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2003, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Aluminum small block??

Do we have a aluminum small block guru in the house? I would like to put an aluminum blocked motor in my 289 FIA. My research has led me to the 302 and 351 Ford Motorsports blocks. I haven't been able to find any specific info on the blocks other than price($3,800 via the net). Are there other aluminum SBF's out there? Is the FMS AL SB a good one? In the 450hp range, which heads? Which intake(assuming one 4 barrel)? Which carb? Which crank, rods, pistons, camshaft?
The car will see mostly street duty with limited strip time and possibly track time if I can learn to drive.
Will we're at it, Toploader or TKO II?

Thanks, Jim
Old 02-17-2003, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Cant tell you much about the aluminum engine block but I can suggest a TKO over a Toploader. With a Small Block the TKO will take amout anything you can throw at it and it will give you overdrive so you can put good rear gears and still enjoy the highway.

ALso I hear that most of the weight savings on a Small Block Ford is in the Heads. I think you only save about 75pounds or so with a aluminum small block (302) vs the iron version. Heads will save more than that for much less. If you plan on mostly street duty the iron block will be fine and probably be stronger as well. Aluminum blocks are just for show. Why do you think ford went back to a iron block for the supercharged '03 cobra stang? They said the Aluminum block would not hold up to all the torque.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

I agree with Ruble.Your money would be better spent(if that is a concern) on good aluminum heads and a weber look fuel injection setup(great performance and killer looks).Also go with roller cam.Expensive items like forged pistons,crank ect will add little to performance but longevity will be higher in high demand use. chuck
Old 02-17-2003, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

agree with both above posts.
Since your in Ga. you need to visit and get to know Bill at Southern engines. He has forgotten more than most know
gn
Old 02-17-2003, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'd spend the money on a lightened rotating assembly, unless of course your worried about weight for handling.

As for aluminum blocks being strong enough....Ford just happened to screw up big time with their Cobra blocks.

Other manufacturers, BMW, Chevy, etc do fine making gobs of power from their engines. (Z06 anyone?)

-steve in nj-
Old 02-18-2003, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2078. 331 stroker, sportsman block built by Evanuik Performance. 450hp
Send a message via AIM to SSSnake
Not Ranked     

I thinkaluminum heads save 50 lbs. vs. iron heads. For the added cost of an aluminum block, I honestly don't think it would be worth it.

Glenn
Old 02-18-2003, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mr.Powerstroke,
Go with the 302 Dart Block about 2K and better than any of the Ford stuff. Aluminum heads, Hydraulic roller. 4bbl carb 10.5 comp. easy 450 hp. You will have no problem beating up most of the FE's
Cranky
Old 02-18-2003, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replies, guys. It appears that the consensus is that the aluminum block is a waste of $$(it sure is trick, though). Cranky, why the 302 instead of the 351? Which crank, cast of forged? Which heads, intake, and cam? Better yet, you guys feel free to spec the motor and give me some pros and cons.
I hate to ask so many questions, but I'd like to have it built right the first time, and 5 guys would do it 5 different ways.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited by southernfriedcj; 02-19-2003 at 04:34 PM..
Old 02-21-2003, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Why not keep the car as close to original as possible? If you are just gonna cruise and once in a while track time you don't need the Dart or forged crank and rods.
Jim Harrell (sp) has a 350 hp 302 in his Shelby FIA car and the thing just kicks butt. Probably has a lot to do with driver skill but a 302 nontheless.
Now if you want to do serious track time and almost no street driving you can go with the Dart 302 or 351 with higher compression, wild cam ,Forged everything and be making 500+ with the 302 and 600+ with the 351.

In my ten years of open track I have blown up a 427 Side oiler and a 351 Crate engine both do to poor oiling and weak bottom ends. That is why I chose to go with the Dart Block this time. Got to start with a good foundation but you being a builder you know all about foundations.

I don't like to make any recomendations regarding heads or cam because I am not an engine builder. Once you choose someone to build your engine tell them what you want the engine to do and let them pick the right pieces.
I suggest you pick a builder who will Dyno your engine and break it in before you install in your new Cobra.

Good luck,
Cranky