Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2003, 11:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Larger the diameter of the piston= greater volume to surface area = less heat,shorter stroke= less friction =less heat.

comparable volume with a smaller bore=longer stroke=more friction=more heat, smaller piston=more surface area per volume= more heat.

larger piston surface area=more effeicient conversion of energy/lbs per square inch of thrust.

or something like that
Old 03-21-2003, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Wild Cobra Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Cobra
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, for all the great info.
And Ernie, the intent of the 327 was meant to be modified.

Do any of you guys remember or heard the old 260 engine the one that was supposed to be in the 1st prototype Mustang? Did it not used the overhead cams or was it out of some other ford car?
I could be wrong and have been before, but if memory serves correctly ford did build the 260 SB with dual overhead cams.

Does any one have a clue on this one?
Old 03-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The 260 was the first version of the 289, I have never heard of an ohc version hte engine was in comets and falcons in the early 60's
Old 03-21-2003, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Wild Cobra

The 260 was initially used in the Fairlane and Falcon Sprint as well as the 1964-1/2 Mustang. Also, don't forget that it was used in the first Cobra.

About the OHC 260, there was no such engine. There was, however, an experimental OHC 289 which was built in 1965 and installed in a HiPo Mustang. I purchased this car under Ford's X-plan in Sept. '66. This experimental engine was removed and a new HiPo 289 installed in its place to return the car to its original production configuration so it could be sold. The experimental engine installed in the Mustang was one of three OHC 289's. One was in my car, another was used for dyno testing and the third one was used in engineering for reference purposes.

There was a cover story in HotRod Magazine in 1967 ior '68 that included this engine among other experimental Ford engines. As for where the engine went, probably to the great smelter in the sky as does most experimental auto parts go.

You can see this car in my gallery. I still drive it and I see to it that the car is still in the experimental phase.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 03-22-2003 at 05:27 AM..
Old 03-21-2003, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Speed, is there a pic any where of that engine?

Heres where Ron pops up and says: "you mean like this!"
Old 03-21-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

This is a pretty simple question really.. It's all $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. The more you have the faster you can go.. It all comes down to how much you have to spend.. The lighter the faster the better balance $$$$$

The F1 motor costs how much.. a millon..? a million five? But hey you can go 300-400 miles between rebuilds. The 10,000 NHRA motor costs what eighty thousand and will go about a 1/2 mile between tear downs an about 2 miles between rebuilds?

I will tell you I have built tons or Rx-7 12a and 13b motors that will run 50k-75k miles with frequent trips to 8500 rpm for under $4000. Of course horse power was limited to about 195-220 I understand the Rx-8 engine offers as much as 250.. Is that a three rotor engine (or four???)

Makes that $18,000 side oiler seem like a bargain..

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 03-21-2003, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX33868 Sold. Just "playin' the boards now."
Not Ranked     

Exotica not withstanding, the 260 actually started life as a 221. Indy fans may recall A.J. Foyt used a much modified Ford smallblock with less than a 1" stroke. The neat part is that, that little engine also had four overhead cams per head and 15,000rpm under boost was not a bit unusual. Funny part is, it didn't make real hp numbers until above 11,000rpm.

Kind of sums up the debate over how ultra high rpm is achieved. Very short stroke vs large bore and airflow up the gazoo!

Al

Last edited by A Snake; 03-21-2003 at 09:47 PM..
Old 03-22-2003, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Kobra Karl,
If you can find one, this engine along with three other Ford experimental engines and the twin-cam Indy engine are featured on the cover of the June 1968 issue of HRM. Accompanying the cover article inside are several pictures of this engine.

A Snake,
Don't forget Colin Chapman and Jimmy Clark blowing away the Indy Car establishment in the Weber topped 255-CID pushrod small-block Ford in 1963. That little sucker put out 376 hp and was reliable at a sustained 7,700 rpm. Clark was going for the lead, but stayed in 2nd to keep from spinning in the oil dropped by Parnelli Jones' Offy powered leading car.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue

Last edited by speed220mph; 03-22-2003 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-22-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Wild Cobra Send a message via Yahoo to Wild Cobra
Not Ranked     

speed220mph Thanks man, I kew I was not dreaming about the double over head 260 motor. I remember reading about when I was a kid, but was in one of the auto history books. Glad to hear to still have the ponny running.

One of the reasons I did mentioned it was do to the high RPM range, but dut do not recall the HP.

Any how, thanks alot guys.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A Snake,

Now theres a great call on the early Ford motors. The famous 289/302/351W DID INDEED start life out as a 221.

Man, Club Cobra is THE source for information!

First I EVER heard of the experimental OHC 289, very interesting.

About that same time, you guys recall the OHC 6 cyilinder Pontiac came out with?? Tempest? LeMans? I heard they actually ran that motor in an Indy car also. Four barrel carb was an option, 1965 to 67 I think? Seems like an era when Detroit was waking up to the possibilities of OHC. Way ahead of it's "time" back then, for "production" purposes.

Ernie
Old 03-25-2003, 04:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

Very interesting info on Ford engines. In the May issue of Street Rodder there is an article on Dean Jeffries which claims he has two of the DOHC engines, as well as an original GT40 roadster!?

My first car was a 62 Fairlane 500 with that 221 CI Windsor. The car was a POS, but the only engine problem in 3 years was points that came loose.

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69