Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2003, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 302 changing from EFI to carbureted

302 SB engine(from mustang 5.0). Have removed the EFI and wanna go carbureted. Still using the stock cams and heads. What Edelbrock INTAKE, CARBURETOR and AIR FILTER would you recommend for best performance? Goin' with manual choke and no EGR - the engine must not be "street legal".
Thanks for any link.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a 302 EFI, I like it. Curious,,,,,,do you expect to make more horse power with a carb? As far as "looks" go, yeah, I've considered changing mine out to a carb. For performance, fule mileage, and tuning I will stay with the EFI.

Ernie
Old 04-30-2003, 11:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ehm, actually, I don't like EFI - injectors, and all this stuff. Just wanna have a raw carbureted engine. Don't care much about fuel mileage. Carbs looks sweet. So I'm goin' to choose one for best performance(HP). Just don't know what INTAKE - CARB - AIR FILTER combo to use. Will dual carb work fine?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I hear you! Carbs are cool. Dual's on a 302??? Well, that would look really good. They better be SMALL carbs though! Not sure you can get two that would be small enough. 300-350 CFM per unit would be "enough".

Now if you want COOL carbs, can't beat Webers! How about 3 dueces? Cruise on the middle one and progressive linkage to the forward and rear ones?

Ernie
Old 05-01-2003, 12:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, 3 dual WEBERs would look really coooool. Nearly like F1, ha ha.
But thinking more about edelbrock - if to use one 650-800cfm or dual? What would work just fine?
Old 05-01-2003, 03:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default DLS converted his Excalibur

Bobo,

Try emailing DLS as he converted his Excalibur from EFI to Carb...and loves it!
Old 05-01-2003, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for link, but DLS doesn't wish to recieve mails (mailing disabled). So just hope he will read this topic...
Old 05-01-2003, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Location: Right in the middle of the beautiful Texas Hill Country - Boerne, Texas,
Send a message via Yahoo to Blake Olson
Not Ranked     

Bobo,

I converted a 5.0 engine from EFI to carb for my B&B last year. it's fairly simple and inexpensive.

drop me an email and I will give you all the part #'s (from intake, carb, pulleys, water pumps, etc...)

blake

"Charlie Don't Surf!"
Old 05-01-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

E-mail is on the way, thanx.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually I was misled a little with the engine. It is not from a Mustang. Should come from Grand Marquis, engine code is KX 611929.
The number on the head is E6SE.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

E6SE,,,,the "generic" 5.0 head. NOT the one used on the HO version (which is an E7XX).

Ernie
Old 05-03-2003, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, so, as I can see, I am not able to reach by goal - to pump out 300 HP with Intake+Carb+Air filter only - from an 302 SB.
Have decided to change the cam too. And head porting. If I change the cam - which one would you recommend? Duration+lift+brand. Just not to hit the pistons by valves. And with this new cam, and ported heads - probably te Intake and Carb must be sized higher?
Anyone who has converted his 302 SB this way?
Old 05-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don't overdo the carb, a very common mistake. 650 should be enough CFM for even 300 horse or more. I think the typical "up-grade" cam is a Ford E303, or something like that. You may want to start by looking at the numbers for a "hot" Ford cam like that and go from there.

Porting the heads? I would consider going with Alum after market heads, Edelbrock or whatever. "Breathing" is where you make horse power. Carb (not TO big), intake, camshaft (not terribly "wild"), GOOD heads and HEADERS will be required to make 300 horse.

Consider the CC's of the combustion chamber if your going to do new heads. The smaller it is, the higher the compression will be. Higher compression equals more horse power, but there is NO FREE LUNCH. Everything is a balancing act of selecting the right "parts" to compliment each other.

If you get a nice cam, but have a "smallish" intake, the cam will not work properly. Same for the heads. FLOWS have to match capacity in all the parts. The weakest link will determine where the limit of horse power is. So you got good flow now but still running that restrictive exhaust system? The headers or muffler will now be the "weakest link".

I'm going with Alum heads, small CC chambers, NON emmission drilled, a nice matching cam, after market intake, 75 mm throttle body, 24 lb injectors and some custom made headers. I thought about a carb, but decided I could make more horse power with injection in the long run.

Oh what the heck, leave the heads, intake and cam "stock". I'll add 30 lb injectors, 75 mm throttle body and a Super Charger running at about 7 lbs. That should get me close to 300 horse! All it takes is "money".

Ernie
Old 05-09-2003, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EFI 383 stroker, Spyder intake, PMS, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

Bobo, a good combo for me has always started with the Edelbrock Vr. Jr. that intake never dissapoints. The heads have got to go, thats where your gonna make the power. Look on Mustang websites, there's always someone looking to get rid of some stock heads. That way you can keep your stock valvetrain. Areohead makes a nicely setup iron head for only $400. D80E castings. BUT if you have the money go with a aftermarket head, but then new pushrods and maybe rockers............ I would think you'd be happy with a 600CFM carb w/vacuum secondaries for good throttle response. Also a "B" Cam would keep it driveable but you could also get away with a "E" Cam, I think thats the updated "B" cam. Oh well hope I confused you enough....
Old 05-09-2003, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for reply. These Jr manifolds are great for 2500 - and up RPM. What I've forgotten to tell - actually I'm looking for low end torgue instead of Hi RPM HP. Even if the Cobra is a light car. Not going to race it, drag, quarter mile, or so. The 0 - 5000 (or 1500-6500) range would be more efficient for me.
There is a little problem with the heads. If I would change them, first I have to import them from US. Shipping is not such a great idea, taking them with me is not possible. And the cost is a little problem too. I'll keep the stock heads, and try to squeeze the best of them.
Excuse my English - I'm not from an english speaking country.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates "Street" Roadster, 351W
Not Ranked     

Just speculating, but 1 HP per cubic inch should not be too hard to get, based on the 351W Don Scott built for me. It has a Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam, GT40P heads, 9.5 to 1 compression ratio, Edelbrock Performer manifold and a 600 CFM Edelbrock carb. Relatively low cost(heads are only about $550 per pair assembled) and it put out 351 HP on the dyno with loads of torque(390 FT/LB minimum from 2500 to 4400 RPM).

MACV Advisory Team 16
Tam Ky '68-'69
Old 05-09-2003, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, that's nice, but - I don't have GT 40 heads, and not going to have them. And the block is a 302, not going to bore over, or stroke it. Just looking for CAM, INTAKE, CARB combo to work well with what I have. And trying to squeeze out maximum of it.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Consider this:

Stock heads re-worked a little (better springs and new valves).
Comp Cams or Blue Thunder "E" Cam and 1.7 Roller Rockers. Performer RPM Intake w/ Edelbrock or Holley 650 Carb. MSD Ready to Run distributor (no need for a ignition box with this distributor). This is a fairly inexpensive set up that will put out in excess of 300 hp. Match that up with 373:1 gears and a good late model T-5 or Tremic and you will have a nice rumpty rump in a strong and dependable Cobra.

I wish I still had my small block set-up!

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-09-2003, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EFI 383 stroker, Spyder intake, PMS, Tremec 3550
Not Ranked     

ohhh.. I see, well in that case use a edelbrock performer with the recomended cam. Edelbrock actually sells a whole kit intake, carb, cam, lifters, and air cleaner for under $500 That way you have a matched combo you know will work. Oh yea, I'm stuck in Korea right now and they don't speak much English here either.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Matching "components" is EVERYTHING!!!! I'm gonna look into that Edelbrock deal, I might go that way myself!

Ernie