Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2003, 12:09 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     
Question Windage Tray

What is the purpose of a windage tray and when do you need to add one???
Old 08-19-2003, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

AS I Understand it, a windage tray keeps your crank from slapping against the oil that is sloshing around in your pan. This motion of the oil reduces horsepower. It also, helps keep oil contained in your pan so you do not starve the oil pump during cornering and hard braking. My Canton has a built in windage tray.
If I have mis-stated anything I hope someone will jump in here and correct me, please don"t be bashfull.
Clois:

3DSMILE:

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-19-2003, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Most racers will have some kind of a windage tray--If your vehicle is just for street use and an occassional burnout here or there (if you would ever do such a thing) then you probably don't need one. Prices usually start at about $300 and go up.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 08-19-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

Windage trays cost a lot less than $300, mine was about $70. They do a couple of things, all for the greater goal of keeping oil off the crank and down by the oil pump pickup where it belongs. The diamond screen type are the good ones, those with punched baffles are OK. They act as a crank scraper to some extent, scraping the blobs of oil off the crank and rods as they pass by. (Often use an actual crank scraper too, custom fitted and ground) the windage tray also prevents oil from sloshing up during cornering braking and accellerating. They are good for a little hp gain, just by keeping oil off the crank. You have to have a pan which will accomodate the extra long main bolts and windage tray, and careful fittment is required so the crank and rods don't actually touch the tray.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:02 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Not Ranked     

Okay, all great info.....I see on EBAY several different types and wonder if one type is better than the other??? Item number: 2428653687 , Item number: 2428345253 , Item number: 2428021843 ........??????????????HELP???????????????
Old 08-19-2003, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fixit is right on the price of a windage tray but every time I have tried to use a windage tray with my orig equip oil pan I found I was going to have to modify something. So for $300 you can get a matched set (oil pan and windage tray).

I don't know which is better but I have used the Canton with my big block and the Moroso with my small block. I was happy with both but I like the way the Canton is made inside the pan better than the Moroso.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 08-19-2003, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

This thing about when a windage tray is good: I suggest it's all the time, because when don't you want your engine to be more efficient? Efficiency translates into more power and less fuel consumption whether at full tilt on the track or at part-throttle cruising on the street. It's a win-win situation.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 08-19-2003, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A bennefit not yet mentioned is reduced oil aeration. This refers to the percent of air that is entrained in the oil. Under 2% is fine. At sustained high rpm it can get much higher. After that it starts to cause hycraulic lifters to get spungy which leads to valvetrain instability, valve bounce and possibly failure. It also reduces oil pressure but generally not much until there is no oil left at the pick-up. I would recommend a windage tray to anyone who plans to drive their car hard for even brief periods, especially if they have hydraulic lifters.

Just thought I should share.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:57 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Here are a few pics of my setup. I must have 60 hours just in my windage tray and scraper fabrication.
Along with other benefits mentioned, there are more ponies to be had in your oil pan than you realize.

Making a scraper pattern for a 3.25" stroker R-block

Finished scraper

This tray had to be modified for stroke and pan clearance issues.

If anyone needs a scraper template for this setup, let me know. I have a nice one.
Happy to help the guys with little small blocks.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 02:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default Hey John!

Jmarsey/John,

haven't heard back from you... did you get it together in time for this weekend? Marc's getting closer now... I think your car will send him over the edge this time. Hope to see you at the Mini Nats. Duane
Old 08-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Blue Car
Not Ranked     

Hey Duane,

I just started building the new right side header. Realistically, that's 3 weeks. I'm probably looking at late October when I turn the k....I mean push the start button. The rebuild is going slow because I have added so much and changed the things I didn't like to begin with. I'm very happy with the progress, just slow.

By all means, if Marc needs a shot in the arm, JBL juice, I'm happy to show him my progress any time.

I need your (a) cell number incase I come out on Saturday to track you down. I think you said you guys will be there around 1:00? I'll be building headers but I may get the urge. Is Marc coming out with you?

Sorry the car is not as ready as I had hoped.

John
Old 08-25-2003, 03:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default John

John,
I sent you an email through CC. I lost your direct email address, so just reply to my email throuch CC. We'll be there on Saturday from 9-2:30. We saw JBL #2 down at Monterey last weekend... talk more later. Thanks. Duane
Old 08-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allright, I have decided to add a Windage tray........how about the crank scraper?? I am having trouble finding one for my 302, so should I just be happy with the tray or keep trying?????????
Old 08-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Earl!

Watch out Earl, if you keep reading these threads you'll somehome come up with a list of things to add each week!
Old 08-31-2003, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

A lot of factory motors come stock with windage trays for reasons mentioned above. The aftermarket expanded metal types work better.

Have the Canton 9 qt Road Race pan along with Canton windage tray. The pan comes with a crank scraper also, but it tends to push against the windage tray, which then hits the rod nuts. Trial assemble and clearance before installing in car.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Nice 4 bolt bottom half. Whose is it?