Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2003, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question 351 stroked to 427ci (EFI ?)

I've got a 93' 5.0 mustang computer and all the harnesses and was wondering if i could use the stock efi computer from the mustang and run a stroked 351 with it. Granted i'm going to need the intake that bolts up to the 5.8/351 and still uses the stock mustang 5.0 upper. Basically im just wondering if anyone has ever done this. And if any specifics could be givin to me id greatly appreciate it. thanks and happy holidays to all
Old 12-23-2003, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP329 w/KC489 Shelby
Not Ranked     

I have no practical experience doing it, but I did do some research into how a stroked 351 could be EFIed. If you are going to use the stock computer, you will need to have a Tweecer. There are also many other aftermarket computers and FMS's EPEC computers. All of these allow you to vary the program/tune that will be significantly different than the stock 302. Do a search on EFI and computer or ECU and computer.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could you do it? Sure, I put a 351W in an 89 mustang and used the stock computer and it worked fine. I used the gt40 upper and lower intake that fits the 351W.
You probably could get more power out of an aftermarket computer, but for comparison my best e.t. was 11.89 @ 117 mph and that is in a 3000lb+ car so I don’t think you will have to worry about the stock computer.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: not yet
Send a message via AIM to machineman
Not Ranked     

Fordboy
Stroking 351w all for it do it all the time. Just dynoed 418cid EFI today using Elebrock EFI worked great. You will maybe want to up grade Cyl. heads. With more cubes the smaller heads will restrict the amount of HP potenial you can get out of it.
Bobby
Old 01-23-2004, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the info....
Now im wondering what kind of intake systems some of you efi stroker 351 guys are using? What size injectors...mass air...throttle body ect....Would using the stock computer and then buying a hypertech for the computer be something worth doing or do i need to see a professional shop and have them make a custom application for my engine. I'm really pumped about this project. thank you guys for all the info. adam
Old 01-23-2004, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

You can do it, but to get the most out of your motor, you really need to get a chip or an EEC reprogrammer like a TwEECer. I personnally bought a TwEECer, but I have heard a lot of good things about chips from Johnson Motorsports.

DON'T USE THE STOCK MUSTANG UPPER MANIFOLD!!!! That manifold restricts a 302. It would absolutely choke a 427. You didn't say if your engine is going in a Cobra, but if it is, you're really limited on intakes because of hood clearence issues. The Edelbrock intake will no way no how fit under the hood. The GT40 is pretty tall too and is the worst flowing of the 351W intakes. I have a Trick Flow 351W intake and still had to do quite a few mods (lowered the engine, raised the body, and used a wider than stock hood scoop) to get it to fit.

Another intake option is a box intake. A box intake would be easier to fit under the hood, but will sacrifice a lot of low end torque. The box intakes are really meant for high rpm power. Comp Cams and Trick Flow sell box intakes, along with several places that make custom (read big $$$$) intakes.

On my 408W, I'm running a 75mm Pro-M MAF, a 75mm Accufab TB, 36lb injectors, Vortec fuel rails, and a 255lb/hr fuel pump (check out my website for all the details).

Pete
Old 01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The engine is going into a 2-door 65 ford falcon wagon with a tear-drop hood so i dont think clearence will really be a problem. There's a Victor Ford 5.8L EFI intake that is supposed to handle up to 700 hp and 427ci out the 351 (http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...22&prmenbr=361). Will all the mustang electronics bolt up to the 351 intake setup like this? I guess what im asking then is if space isnt really an issue whats the best way to go both in performance and price. thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If space is no issue, then the intake you choose should be based on where you want your powerband to be. You need to match your intake with your heads and cam. Lots of good information on The Corral.

If it's a Mustang type EFI intake (like the Victor Ford 5.8L EFI), the Mustang electronics will work with it.

Here's some other intake choices:
Probe Spyder
Trick Flow 351 EFI
Hogan's Custom Intakes
Trick Flow Box Intake
5.0Mustang High RPM Intake Test

Pete
Old 01-24-2004, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow! PSB thank you for all the information! I'm planning on getting my engine kit from PAW...anyone had any problems with them? any better places to get an engine? thanks for all your helps guys!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There was a guy on here or FFCobra.com, don't remeber which, that got a 427W kit from PAW and was happy with it. Don't remeber who it was - do a search and you might be able to find it.

I just remebered another good link for info on putting an EFI motor in a '60s Ford - http://www.windsorfox.com/

Pete
Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1990 408 stroker
Not Ranked     

I GOT A 351 W STROKER 408 IM GOIMG TO USE TW HEADS AND TRICK FLOW UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE 75MM . WILL IT WORK
Old 01-26-2004, 06:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

solo408stroker,

What part are you concerned about?