Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Dual quad intake and air cleaners

I need some information regarding parts I bought on ebay. I'll try to provide you with everything I know about the parts.

First I bought this dual quad intake for small block Ford engines. It was a real bargain!!!
It is a low rise intake and the letters say "Cobra" but that's all I know about it. Of course I looked for casting numbers but couldn't find anything. Although it is painted black and pretty dirty the surface is very smooth and I assume someone polished it in the past and ground away the casting numbers :-(

What was the intake made for? GT 350 Mustangs or Cobra 289?And is there any way how to tell if it's a reproduction or a nos part?

My second question is what carbs were used on this intake? The carb flange looks like it was made for Autolite or the early type Carter AFB carbs, in other words Holley or Edelbrock aftermarket carbs won't fit. I bought the intake including adapter plates for Holley and Edelbrock carbs but this doesn't look good at all and if possible I want to use the original carbs.

The second bargain I made are these dual quad air cleaners. The seller told me they were probably used for a small block Cobra back in the sixties but he isn't absolutely sure.
The air cleaners have an offset base and again the opening for the carb neck is too small for a Holley or Edelbrock aftermarket carb but I think it'll fit an Autolite carb.

The paper filter elements don't seem to be the correct ones because they don't fit tight into the housing (they are a little smaller than they should be). There's "Calif. custom acces. mfg. co. Los Angeles" printed on the rubber top of the paper elements.

Another thing that makes me think the air cleaners and the intake were made for the same application is the following:

With the offset filter bases centered atop the carb flanges an the intake the filters just fit nicely next to each other without interference - if they didn't have the offset base they wouldn't fit.

With the carbs installed the filters will be close to each other but will not interfere.

If anyone can tell me something about the parts I bought please let me know!
Of course the intake and air cleaners will be a great addition to my Cobra anyway, but I love this vintage stuff and will be gratefull for any further information regarding these parts!

Thanks,

Simon
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Arrow

That's an early manifold since it still uses the Carters ( a better set up in my mind), it was sold over the Ford parts counter ( as well as through Shelby and several other sources,...Uncle Charlies and Gratiot to name 2). Was never a stock installed on a production car but many were installed at dealers on anything that had a 289, Galaxies,Fairlanes,Mustangs,Falcons and yes some Cobras. I ran one in the late '60's on a 289,4-spd 'stang and liked it better than any of the mulriple carb set ups I've run since. It's a good drivable hassle free unit that should be an enjoyable addition to whatever car you mount it on, onve the carbs have been gone through for rebuilding.The air filters aren't what came on it,they were concentric. has also been opened at the carb opening for more low end volume, but shouldn't affect driveability.

Last edited by Woodz428; 01-14-2004 at 10:57 AM..
Old 01-15-2004, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is already much more information than I got anywhere else...seems like this forum is the right place to ask!

Woodz428, do you know what carbs exactly were used (cfm or even part numbers?)? And didn't the first gen. Carters also have a smaller carb neck?

By chance there was just the same intake for sale on ebay inlcuding the correct carbs. Carbs never used and still in the original shrunk plastic wrap:

for complete link click here

I asked the seller for the carb's id numbers but he couldn't tell because he didn't want to remove the original packaging (who would?)

That's what he wrote:

"The carb with the choke is about impossible : maybe ??2? S, best I could do. the other carb without the choke is a little better, my guess is 4758S. The first one not 100% sure of even the 2, but I tried"

Any ideas what carbs I have to look for?

If anyone could help me to find out the carb's part numbers for this setup I was really happy!

Thanks,

Simon

BTW: have these intakes ever been reproduced or is it an original part for sure?
Old 01-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     
Default SB Cobra Dual Quads

I used to run this same set-up on my 1966 Shelby GT350. Like Woodz428 says, the set-up worked well and was very responsive on a HiPo 289. The carbs were Carter AFB's, which I believe were rated at 440cfm each. I had been told that they were basically the same carbs used on a 409 Chevy dual quad set-up.

Not sure if anyone has repopped this intake. There was also an Edelbrock version that looked the same except for having "Edelbrock" cast where "COBRA" is cast in yours. I do not recall any other casting numbers on the manifold. This set-up was never offered in production, but was a very popular add-on. In early Cobra parts catalogs, this dual quad set-up was about 1/3rd of the price of Webers, and it fit under the hood of a Mustang or a 289 Cobra without any clearance issues (unlike the Hi-Rise Holley Dual Quad set-up).

regards,
Jeff
Old 01-15-2004, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have question on that style of intake. I posted it but i have more info now. The intake looks alot like that except it says shelby at a 45 degree angle in front of the front carb.

the serial number is SFJD9425E
the firing order is 15426378

the rear carb base is 6 inches from the bottom of the intake to the base where the carb sits.

an info if this is a factory part or just an add on would be great
thanks in advance
Old 01-16-2004, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1 time posting here, been lurking in the "small block talk" for awhile (sorry, I don't own a Cobra).
This intake was a Ford "over the counter" product available for any Ford small block from 64-66, and also used by Shelby. Intake # is C4RA-9425-A or can be purchased as a complete kit # C4OZ-6B068-E (see pic) This picture was scanned from Bob Mannel's "Mustang & Ford Small Block V8 1962- 1969"
Sorry for the big picture, I couldn't make it smaller without losing the resolution

John P
http://members.shaw.ca/tbolt427/fairlane289.htm
Old 01-16-2004, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

SHELBY_FAN

Is this what your intake looks like? except it has the word Shelby cast on the front right runner?

If so, it was also available over the counter at Ford. It is the high-rise version (used with Holley carbs) available some time in 1966. There are 2 versions of the this intake. Round runner version, and square runner version. The # for the round runner is C6ZZ- 6B068-A , also Shelby had the same intake but it had "Shelby" cast on front right runner and its own Shebly part number. I will look through my files to see if it the same part # SFJD9425E that you have

Check out here for more info
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/...eid=1071652872
Old 01-16-2004, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes that looks just like that. Thank you ,any idea on value of that part?
Old 01-17-2004, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Thanks to everyone for their help!! Now I know much more about the parts I bought.

John, the pic and parts list from the book are really great!

Thanks again,

Simon
Old 08-01-2004, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi,I own one of the 64 Falcons used for
rallying by Alan Mann and the inlet you have apart from the Cobra is the same
as mine.
I have the carbs and will check the No's
for you if you like, unless you have sorted
the problem by now.
Martyn.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 64Falcon

Hi,I own one of the 64 Falcons used for
rallying by Alan Mann and the inlet you have apart from the Cobra is the same
as mine.
I have the carbs and will check the No's
for you if you like, unless you have sorted
the problem by now.
Martyn.
Hi Martyn, I'm still very interested in the numbers. Couldn't find them anywhere else up to now...