Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2004, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '67 GT350
Not Ranked     
Default Early 289 into new A50 block

I am rebuilding my '67 289 HiPo but I need a new block (the original had cracks in the bores and liners didn't work!). So I have a complete original HiPo with no block!

Here in England I am struggling to find a good 289/302 block and I am told most of them are now too brittle to be a safe bet.

It has been suggested that I use a new -A50 (same as -B50 sportsman) block for my rebuild. I understand that there are some subtle differences (rear main seal, coolant holes in deck surface, clutch pivot etc) but I need to talk with someone who has actually DONE THIS SWAP so that I can learn of all the pitfalls before buying the block and shipping it to England.

Can anyone help with this info?

David
Old 01-27-2004, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Are you racing this GT350, street use, or show? I have several original 289 HiPo motors including early 5 bolt motors. If you are going to race buy a new block and change over, street use or show buy a standard bore 289 block and install your HiPo main caps and allign bore for the crank. There are always 289 standard bore short blocks or bare blocks for sale on Ebay. If you ever sell the car you can explain and since the block is correct casting with hiPo mains, rods, crank and other parts it should not make a big difference. Sorry, my HiPo blocks are all in cars and NOT for SALE.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '67 GT350
Not Ranked     

The car is just for street use, so an old block would be good, but they simply aren't available in England. I would buy off ebay if I could see the block before I shipped it to England but I don't get to the US much these days!

I've done some further research and it looks like the A50 block needs -

* machine off the oil slinger from the crank rear main seal journal
* fit a clutch pivot adaptor (from Windsor-fox?)
* some people say drill holes to match the waterways in the HiPo heads, but not every one agrees.
* Some say might have problem with the front cover / fuel pump drive.
* Some say sump bolts might not fit.

Can anyone clarify any of this? Will the distributor fit? What about the trans bellhousing (6-bolt toploader).

Thanks

David
Old 01-27-2004, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trans/dist should fit without a problem. (Unless you have a 5 bolt block now, not very likely, and if so you would need a new bellhousing)

Best bet is a 289/302 block. I'm sure someone here would go look at a bare block.

I would imagine almost all of the cost would be in the shipping. I sold a shortblock for $100 on ebay awhile ago, so the blocks themselves aren't much.

-steve in nj-
Old 04-22-2004, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1983 Aurora - 302 Five speed- Jag rear -slab side FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Risky to ship unknown block.

Consider contacting some of the US engine builders. They usually have an inventory of blocks or sources of 302's or 289's. You could trim your risk of buying and shipping a piece of junk by having them test and freshen the bores before shipping. They get better shipping rates to boot. You might get lucky and find the correct year of 289 if that is a big deal to you. The standard 289 block and hi-po are identical except for the caps, so you could just have your caps align bored to the new block when you get it.

Good luck,

tm
Old 04-22-2004, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33613

Here is something on Ebay?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-23-2004 at 03:50 AM..
Old 04-23-2004, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sorry "just" a 68 Shelby GT500
Send a message via Yahoo to 68gt500
Not Ranked     

Im in Germany - and it is absolutely no problem to locate an 289 or 302 Block.

Shipping & should be much easier too.

Interested? - Then drop me an email.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 302 done, CSX289 comp body, leaf spring chassis to original specs...
Not Ranked     

David,

Take a look at www.dscmotorsport.com. They sell many Ford parts including engine blocks...HiPo, Mexican,,,I think it would be more predictable than ebay, Good luck.

-John