Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2004, 04:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

A little late, but I would also check to make sure your carb is sealed to the intake manifold properly. If you overtightened the carb, when it gets hot, it will open a small gap underneath it. When the engine cools just a bit, that gap is no longer there. Also, when your engine died, did you physically check to see if there was fuel starvation (remove air cleaner and pump throttle by hand while looking inside the bowls)? I'll buy the idea of vapor lock, but not at such regular intervals. Do you have a carb spacer between the carb and the intake manifold? Do you have gaskets on all surfaces??? What about the fuel filter, was it full of debris when you pulled it off?

All further questions that needed to be asked and answered........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 11-26-2004, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 302 AFR 165
Not Ranked     

Cobra 1 it wasn't the pump was it?
Old 11-26-2004, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

I'm not familiar with a Holley red. How's it different?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Just a thought:

In addition to the other excellent advice meted out, check to see if your tank is properly vented.

The symptoms you describe could easily be explained by a vacuum build up in the tank as the fuel level drops.

If it happens again - jump out and pop the filler cap. If you hear air rushing in as you do so, there's a big clue.
Old 11-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Dave,

The Holly Blue pump is an out right performance pump and puts out 14 psi and flows 70 GPH. The RED pump is more for street and puts out 7 psi. It flows 67 GPH and does not require a regulator.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-26-2004, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar SVO351W
Not Ranked     

Yep- right on Ron.
Had the regulator mounted on the frame of vehicle which the guy at the high performance place here in Tampa that sells Holly told me that guys have mounted that regulator that has 2 outputs neat the carb. He said that if I was racing (which I'm not) it would be a volumn problem not using both outputs on the regulator. I'm only using one side. He said that I could take the regulator off and it would has sufficient pressure but I didn't bother and it worked fine. We'll see how this street version works. If you guys could help me with the other situation on the vibration noise- tons of thanks. Cobra owners are the best-
Bruce
Old 11-27-2004, 05:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Buice,

I hope the new pump fixes that problem but I don't use both outlets to the carb. I have mine mounted at the front of the block and just a short distance from the carb with a clear in-line filter between it and the carb. I just used one outlet to go to the carb and got one of the screw in pressure gauges which is in the other outlet. That way I can check and adjust the pressure while under the hood. I could send you a picture if you like. As for the vibration noise I must have missed that in one of your posts so will look and see if it is like anything I have heard of. As loud as mine is, if I heard a vibration noise I think it would be the last thing before the car broke into.

Ron

Old 11-27-2004, 05:40 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

If you are refering to the pump noise, that's normal. I have a red pump and if it isn't humming, then I am out of gas. LOL

I heard of someone who put two sets of rubber shock mounts to the mounting flang and surface and it went away. As I remember, he used four small mounts to secure a 3/16" plate at the rear of his car. Then he used two larger mounts for the bracket that wraps around the pump and secure that to the plate.

Hope this helps and happy holidays.

Good morning Ron, hope you had a good holiday.

The 8" of snow we got is melting... getting ready for round two.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Tru,

Good morning to you also. Glad the snow is melting. If you rush maybe you can get in a drive between storms. We haven't had any snow, but a lot of cold wind and some rain. Snow level is supposed to be down to 2,000 feet this morning and I can believe that as it is really cold, (for us), here. My holiday was good and I hope that your'swas also. Now I have to prepare for next month and all the holidays coming up. Also a birthday which I have decided to NOT have.
I think that in your location, a Cobra with rear tractor tires and skids on the front would work in the Winter. You could pay for them by dozing your neighbors driveways.

Ron

Old 11-27-2004, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar SVO351W
Not Ranked     

the BABY is running FINE-
with the check on the rear end HAHAHHAHAHA and the fuel situation, all is good. My lower link bars were not set properly as they should be and the oil might have been a bit low. Ran the beast for 50 miles this afternoon and all was GOOD> Thank you all==== you are the best.

Brucie Baby
Old 11-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Ron, the cobra is in storage. It's like 40 outside and well, a run in that temp will make your nipples hard. Not to mention the ice forming on your face.

No, I may take it out to load it on to a trailer and send her to the painter for some touch-up, but she'll wait for a dry spring.

Happy birthday! How old does that make you????? Doesn't really matter.

Happy holidays to all of yours!!!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Tru,

Hope that you get the Cobra all serviced and painted ok. Man, I don't miss those Winters back East at all any more. The ones here are bad enough for me. We had more snow on the low hills over by the dam last night and that is just 7 miles away. Now there is a very cold wind blowing right across them and it is like being in the Arctic, except not that cold.

I will be 64 years old on December 23rd. Getting old and senile. Darn, I can remember when I couldn't wait to be 16 so I could get a drivers license. Each year seemed three years long. Now I wish I could be 16 again and each year seems about a month long. Funny how they speed up as you get older. If I had it all to do over again, I would stop getting older at abuot 30.

Ron