Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 351C head gasket position

The weather is nice, I have some time so its back to resolving my overheating issue. Many have advised that it may well be head gaskets improperly installed. I have all but exhausted all other possibilities so I am looking more closely at this. Does anyone know the proper location of the small tab marked "front" Before I open myself up I realize it goes to the front of the engine but I have seen conflicting posts on if it should be to the top or bottom of the cylinder head. Mine are now at the top front of both sides if I look at the area where the head meets the block. Any help or verification from anyone with a cool running cleveland is greatly appreciated...
Old 06-23-2005, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I have a Cleve stoker and here's my heating input.
When new, it ran fairly hot and would sometimes boil in the heads after shutting down.
Make sure you have the brass plate in the block under the thermostate; it has a hole about 3/4 in dia. Without this restriction I understand they run hot.
I eventually got it too quite boiling by a quality purge of air from system; after all lthe air got out of the eng, it never boiled again.
Recently I replaced the Ford water pump with a Eldebrock and it runs 20 deg cooler, now at highway speed the temp actually get too cool
gn
Old 06-23-2005, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It has the proper t-stat and brass insert. I also have the milodon (hopefully correct) hi volume water pump and the lower hose is not collapsing.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter #28; 396 Cleveland stroker; more than 495 HP; TKO 5 speed
Not Ranked     

Try the super air purge technique;
Your fill spot should near the high spot in your plumbing, I raised my front about 6 in then filled it full and squeezing(milking) the bottom hose water and a lost of air would bubble out. Keep the cap off so you can see the water/air coming out at you compress the lower hose. It takes about 30 min of adding about 4 oz of water at a time and and milking the air out. Eventually not air /bubbles come with the water, only solid water.
The reason this is so critical is that if you have a small air pocket it your head, example, .5 cubic inches and it creates a hot spot on the metal head that exceeds 212 or 230 deg(presure cap); then the water flashes when it hits the hot spot and creates 20-30 times that volume when it flashes to steam and forces the water into your purge tank and the cycle excalates and gets worse.
gn
Old 06-23-2005, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll give it a shot, Thanks
Old 07-13-2012, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Overheating Problem

My 69 Mach 1 overheats. Water pump is a high performance does work. Thermometer works. Not sure if head gaskets are on wrong or if its my radiator size. I was reading the one post about the purge teqn. do you have to take the spring out of the hose to do this. any info will be very helpful thanks!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If your gaskets say "front" then you have them on the right way.

The writing will ALWAYS be in view of the engine builder.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Not always. There are some gaskets that when you flip them over to put the "FRONT" to the front, the writing is on the underside.

I have Cleveland head gaskets here, Chifo, if you need to see a picture of one.