Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question New here

Hi, I am building a Cobra over here in Sweden, so you may receive a lot of questions from here in the future. I have purchased frame and body from a small Swedish maker called Butterfly. I am now at the engine and trans story. My aim is to buy an older 302 or 351W engine over here and refurbush it and get something around 300 - 350 hp out of it. I am told those engines has a 4" bore but different stroke, can somebody confirm this.
I am also thinking about to build a 351W to a 427, but do not know if it's possible or wirth it.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: StreetBeast 66 replica 302 350HP
Not Ranked     

it is easy to get 300 to 350 HP out of either a 302 or 351W, the pistons, cam and heads you use will make the difference, I don't have any idea what parts you have access to in Sweden, but you certainly came to the right web site to find out, there are people from all over the world who can answer any question you may have, here, good luck on your build
Old 02-24-2007, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

The 302 or 5.0 ltr has a 3.000 inch stroke.

The 351W has a 3.500 inch stroke.

Both have a 4.000 inch bore as you said.

The 351W has a taller deck hieght. That is the distance from the center line of the crank shaft to the deck surface that the head mounts to. The 302 deck height is 8.206 and the 351W is 9.480.

The 351W also has 3 inch main journals and the 302 has 2.249 inch.

Some parts interchange, but the 351W is significantly larger.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for your inputs, Good I found this forum. I think the 351W will be the choice. Can somebody confirm the width of the 351W, is it 22".
I think will find some parts for the engine in the Summit catalogue.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Markll non doner build,Ford Racing 392,tremec TKO,8.8w/3;73s,Baer brakes,Black w/silver stripes,w/carbon fiber,gauges,spats,hood soop,door panel inserts.
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Stefan. If you can get your hands on a Ford Racing catalog it has a lot of that kind of information in the back. It is a great sorce for Ford performance parts and info. We also like to answer any questions here on the forum.
MadDog
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome stefan,I hope the build goes to plan
Old 02-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Stefan, it IS possible to build a 351W to a 427. Roush and others offer such an engine. Thats a little 'extreme' for me, it's about as big as you can go with a 351W.

Heres a link to a pic of a "Butterfly" Cobra, it appears they may have copied at least some details from the "Butler" style Cobras. Engine placed well back into the passenger compartment area resulting in a rather large transmission tunnel in the cockpit.

Butler was arguably a great design and generally used Chevy power. WISE choice your wanting to go with FORD power!

http://www.crocs.nu/mbrimg/083_pic09...cache=20:46:36
Old 02-24-2007, 12:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi everybody, this is really fantastic. I already feel I'am in the AC Cobra family. I am in the 50-ties and now I can start to build up my dreamcar! But I think a lot of you are in the same situation (age).
Thanks for the hint Excalibur, yes the Swedish maker tried to have me to the Chevy power. But I stick to Ford, I have a -65 Mustang 289 here in my garage.
We are a race family, my oldest sons homepage is www.hilmersson-racing.com if you want to have a look at Europeian race. I will put a new post in today.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #696, Ford 427/482 CO
Not Ranked     

Ernie can you reed Swedish???

Stefan: Welcome to the Cobra madness! If you have not joined Cobra Replica Owners Club Sweden (CROCS) or at least registered at http://www.crocs.nu I strongly recommend that you do so. There is some information on that site. Unfortunately, there is a lot of small block chebbys in Swedish Cobras. There are also some Ford small blocks but very few FE's.

You can send me an e-mail if you have any questions. However, small blocks are not my cup of tea.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

...I just look at the pretty pictures having no clue how to speak or read Swedish! The above pic I posted came from CROCS. I noticed what appeared to be a number of "Butlers" among the users on that site. And THEN saw that the "Butterfly" appeared to be somewhat patterned after a Butler.

Cobra's cut through language barriers! Someone should alert the UN, this could be the way to world peace!