Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: ERA FIA #2114 with 331
Not Ranked     
Default Beginner mistake.. My engine builder

installed a 351W type roller cam in my 331 but I set the valve lash as if it was a 302 cam. I installed the intake manifold already. Will I have to take the intake manifold off to re-set the lash? I relied on seeing the intake and exhaust valves opening and closing to properly set the lash.. Any tips??
Old 09-07-2007, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Are they solid rollers or hydraulic? Either way, they should be set the same since the 351W takes the same cams as the 302 as far as I know.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default It's a hydraulic roller cam.. I think it's an issue

because the 351W has a different firing order than the 302. A 351W cam grind is different than a 302's, hence the different firing order.. I set the valve lash following the 302 firing order...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As long as you can establish TDC for piston number one firing position, you should be able to set the lash by accuratley rotating the crank the proper amount to bring all of the pistons to there proper location in three steps. I would refer to a manual to give you the rotations (expressed in crankshaft degrees) for a 351. I also think that late model 302's (5.0L) use the same firing order as a 351. You need a good manual, but I don't think you need to remove the intake. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

That is only true of early 302s. Somewhere in the late 70s/early 80s they switched to the 351 firing order. Even if it was an early style cam I think only 2 cylinders are different, so those would be the only 2 to check. Now....you said that you adjusted the valves by watching the lifters lift and drop..... if that's the case, you weren't using the firing order anyway, you probably adjusted them correctly if you were adjusting according to the lifters.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

You don't need to remove anything except the valve covers, it's just a valve adjustment.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

You can find the bottom of the lobe by marking the crank pulley when the valve is completely open IE: pushed all the way down.Then rotate the crank one full turn and you will be in exactly the right spot to set that valve.Repeat 16 times and you will be done with perfectly adjusted valves!!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tips. It's a '78 or '79 block (D8 or D90E-6015 or 6-E3A) which I think is pre 5.0 L.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

It really doesn't matter what year the block is, the firing order is set by the cam. Set your firing order on the distributor by the cam and adjust the valves the same way you would any other hydraulic lifter cam. If you need some help with that, just ask away.

Bob
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

An even easier method:
Remove the spark plugs,makes it easier to turn over
I always do 1 cyl at a time ,starting with 1 ,go 12345678
Rotate the crank clockwise until the intake valve has fully opened and set the exhaust valve.
Continue rotating the crank until the exhaust valve begins to open and set the intake.
This works for any cam in a small or big block Ford.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default firing order

Hello

Do you still need help with the firing order?

The 351 firing order is:13726548. It is the same as 302Ho
The 302 firing order is:15426378.

The biggest question is, Is it A solid or Roller cam? This will determine what valve lash you will use.

Remember the more you rotate the engine the more you ware the parts. So try to turn it as little as possible, Or get a good drill to pump the oil pump as you work.

Paul