Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Please help establish ballpark value for a HI-PO 289.

I am currently running a K-Code, HI-PO, 289 in my Sunbeam Tiger. It is a 1966, 6-bolt block.
Because the K-Code is not the stock/original motor (should be a 260) I am going to build a 331 stroker for the Tiger using a new BOSS 302 block and other components. I am wondering what a fair value is for the 289 K-Code stuff? I do not remember the casting number but it is 1966. The original K-Code items I have are the block and rotating assembly, complete and uncut heads, fan, and distributor. All other items are either aftermarket or Tiger specific. The motor is currently still in the Tiger and running well so all parts are in at least usable shape, if not better. Thanks for any and all help and have a great day.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may wish to check out the 289 High Performance Mustang Site at:
www.hypomustang.com
Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OOPS!! www.hipomustang.com
Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Please, any information from you guys will help. I see 78 reads of this thread but there is only one reply???
I did do a few different searches on this subject here and cam up with no matches at all. Something I was a bit suprised by. That is why I made this post. I gotta believe sombody has some idea about the general ballpark costs of K-Code 289 HI-PO parts on this forum....anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller? Thanks again for any and all help.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

You might search the www.saacforum.com for recent parts ads/sales. I know the Snakebite Bulletin rom SAAC always has Hipo 289 parts in it, but I never pay any attention to it. I can take a gander at it later and see if anything shows up.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmm,

Start with a good 302 block.

347 Short block with scat crank, connecting rods, etc. $1,800.00

347 long Block with top level heads, valve train, cam, carb etc. $3,700.00.

Complete engine with oil pan etc. add another $500 -$600.

PM me for contact info and to inquire about a 331.

TR

Last edited by Tony Ripepi; 04-10-2008 at 11:10 AM..
Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

The reason for so few replies is because the K 289 is a limited quantity nowadays, and the market doesn't see enough of them to 'set' a price. A lot depends on finding the right buyer...in your case a 289 Cobra/GT350 owner looking for the date codes that you have. Very hard to limit or price. I can tell you that I sold a set of pristine complete OE early 1965 K code heads in January for $2700.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

It's worth about $400.00 but I'm feeling generous today. I'll buy it for $600.00. Whatdayathink?

The reason that you see so few replies is that it's like talking about how long a string is. The value of something like that is exactly what you would take to sell it and someone else would spend to buy it. To me it's worth about $600.00. I'm sure it's worth a lot more to you. The best thing to do is to go where there is a market for it and look at similar equipment or set it up for auction.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-10-2008, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default K code engine

CleanDan, I was into 65,66 mustangs not so long ago and had a 66 K code car with a blown motor that was not original. I restored it to original and replaced the motor. I recall the vin # on the car was far more important than the engine block, the casting numbers are the same. I recall that there is little difference between the standard 289 C code car motor and the K code. Most of the differences are minor bolt on items. I remember the exhaust manifolds were the most difficult and costly item to get. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the replys. I do understand the market for this stuff is fairly dynamic. Tha is why I asked for BALLPARK figures. One post says a pair of heads went for $2700. To me that is very telling of where the market can be in certain situations. Will I get $2700 for my pair? Only the future, unknown buyer will know. This info, however, tell me to NOT just sell them to sombody for very little money. What I have gained here is the knowledge that the K-Code items are worth researching and trying to sell to certain parties. Thanks again and have a great day.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

I recall that there is little difference between the standard 289 C code car motor and the K code. Most of the differences are minor bolt on items. I remember the exhaust manifolds were the most difficult and costly item to get.

The "K" block has thicker main caps, higher nodularity and it's own casting numbers; C3OE & C4OE-B, which are 5 bolt blocks; and C5AE-E which is the 6 bolt. K code cranks will have a polished mark on front counterweight because they were Brinell tested for hardness. The heads will have factory screw in studs, slots for pushrod guidance and 'seats' cast into the head as a pockets for the valve springs to eliminate walking under high rpm. The hipo 289 rod is heavier and uses broach cut seats and 3/8" bolts. They also had their own cam, solid lifter varity with number C3OZ-C and a VE mark fwd of dist gear, .460 lift and 310 duration. The 289 K engine were anything BUT minor variations of the reg. 289.
For your case, I would suggest putting an ad in Hemmings and on SAAC Forum. Include all the casting and date code numbers and provide a thorough explanation of the condition. You will find a buyer who knows what he needs and will spend the $ to 'make it right' in reality as opposed to just cosmetically.
Good luck!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 5.0L EFI Windsor
Not Ranked     

In cleandan's first post he mentioned that the Tiger should have a 260 motor as original. Does anyone know what the specs were for these motors, i.e. block casting no'.s, head casting no.'s, cam specs, etc?
George H.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH427 View Post
In cleandan's first post he mentioned that the Tiger should have a 260 motor as original. Does anyone know what the specs were for these motors, i.e. block casting no'.s, head casting no.'s, cam specs, etc?
George H.
George, I do not have casting numbers for the specific Tiger 260's but the blocks were
5-bolt style, the heads were all press in rocker studs style, and the cams were quite mild as the motors were basically limited to 5000 RPM and ran 2V carbs on cast iron intakes.
Ford sold, to the ROOTES GROUP, the remaining stock of 260's when the 289 became a regular production item and the 260 was basically just like the 260 run in Falcon Sprints.
There are a few websites that spell all this out in great detail as well as a few books dedicated to the Tiger.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

We have now built a BOSS302 (M-6010-BOSS302) the new FR /SVO block, 1 for a customer and we are now building mine now for SPF2734. Some Notes:

1. You must use the ford racing head gaskets to match the holes in the block: M-6051-S331.(felpros will not match up )

2. the std ARP 302 head stud kit WILL NOT WORK. use their FE Kit. { the bolt thread areas are deeper in the BOSS302 block than a typical 5.0L/302 block}

Other than that, verify your crank, dampener and flywheel to make sure your rotating assembly is unified in 28 or 50oz unbalance.

You may want to use aluminum heads to equalize the weight, as the BOSS302 block has sooooo much more metal in it , {read LOTS OF IRON} it will eclipse the weight of a normal 302 form factor engine. In such a light car as a sunbeam, this would influence handling dynamics very easily. --Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-30-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

PS if you need a original 260 I have one..
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A complete 289 hipo just sold on ebay for more than $5,000 without the balancer which he has for sale seperately.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I've seem two K engines (complete) sell in the $5,000 - $5,500 range on E-Bay over the past two months
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 289 Hi Po . How Much Is It Worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleandan View Post
Please, any information from you guys will help. I see 78 reads of this thread but there is only one reply???
I did do a few different searches on this subject here and cam up with no matches at all. Something I was a bit suprised by. That is why I made this post. I gotta believe sombody has some idea about the general ballpark costs of K-Code 289 HI-PO parts on this forum....anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller? Thanks again for any and all help.

YOUR 289 HIPO IS WORTH ALOT . I WOULD USE EBAY TO SELL THIS WITH A GOOD PRICE , 289 HP BLOCK IS WORTH 2000T0 $5000.00 . THIS DEPENDS ON BORE AND CONDITION. IF ITS STANDARD BORE YOU WILL GET MORE IF IT IS 60 OVERBORE 2K IS STANDARD PRICE BUT SOME MAT PAY MORE. THE CRANK AND RODS VARY THE RODS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE USUALLY 500 TO 900. THE CRANK IS NOT THAT SPECIAL 289 CRANKS AND 289 HP CRANKS ARE THE SAME . IF YOURS HAS ORIGINAL MARKINGS WHERE THE BRINNEL TEST WAS DONE IT MIGHT BE WORTH A LITTLE MORE, BUT THIS CAN BE REMADE SO MANY FAKES ARE OUT THERE, THE HEADS ARE 300 TO 800 A PIECE , ONCE AGAIN THE CONDITION IS EVERYTHING, , CLEAN ALL OF IT , CLEARLY TAKE PICS OF ALL NUMBERS REPAINT TO LOOK NICE AND LET E BAY SELL FOR YOU. I HAVE SOLD A FEW HIPO PARTS AND I HAVE SOLD ALL OF IT IN LESS THAN A DAY OR TWO. GOOD LUCK , BOB