Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-11-2008, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, 1969 392w, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     
Default 1969 emissions

Can someone tell me what emissions equipment came standard on a 1969 351w? I need to know what will be required to pass my New York state inspection. Thanks...

Mike
Old 06-12-2008, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

All you need is a pcv valve.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:56 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe 1 View Post
I'll second that as a confirmation.......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     
Default emissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe 1 View Post
I'll third that....
Old 06-12-2008, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys... I was hoping that the PCV was all I needed.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Late to the party -- what was the answer >?

I think 1969 fords also had smog pumps and thermostatic air cleaners.

(calif)

--Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 08-11-2008, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
(calif)
And a PCV.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Yes the nice Blue Thermactor Air Cleaner, what a wonderful addition.........NOT!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
Late to the party -- what was the answer >?

(calif)

--Steve
Yes, in California, but not New York State Guess you missed that part of the original posters question

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Mike:

On August 1, CT implemented new emissions system/hardware standards for replica/kit cars ( Composite ) and the regulation contains the following requirements, inferred to be consistent with all production autos:

"Emissions controls must match the year of the engine used in the composite vehicle. Documented proof of engine year must be provided by the applicant. This information will be verified for accuracy and the presence of all required components will be verified during the inspection. "

" All Light Duty Vehicles with Gasoline Engines were equipped with the controls indicated below (Lt. Duty = below 6001 lbs GVWR till 1978 & below 8501 lbs GVWR after): "

" Year of Engine Emissions Controls Required of All Vehicles That Year

Pre - 1966 None

1966 - 1970 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor

1971 – 1978 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, and Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System

1979 – 1988 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, Thermostatic Air Cleaner or Air Injection System, and CAT

1989 – 1995 PCV, Variable Advance Distributor, Evap. Canister, CAT, Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensor

1996 – current PCV, Electronic Spark Control, Evap. Canister, CAT, Closed Loop Computerized Engine Management, O2 sensors, Fuel Injection "
Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Don. I'll print out your post and use it for future reference.

Mike
Old 08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question

Don,

Do they also require the engine to pass the emission tests for that years set up? I know of one person here that used a 1969 block and he had to have the thermactor air cleaner plus a Carther Carb, I believe it was and it had to pass the emissions for that years engine. The referee here took the engine number year off the block stamp. Also there was some discussion about some Ford engines here with the referee about whether they were from automatic cars or manual transmissions. One kind required an air pump and the other didn't. And I do remember they blocked off the vacuum advance on his distributor and put a sign on the face of the speedometer that his vehicle wasn't to be driven over 60 MPH. Now I don't know if other places in the state are the same or not as they all seem to differ. And every other year he had to go through that until he finally sold the car and bought one with the SB-100 number.

Edit: Also no stroker would even be tested. They had to be completely stock except they would accept tube headers here at this referees.I don't know if the same aplies all over the state or not as it seems to change from location to location.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 08-11-2008 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: To add information
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Ron:

" Do they also require the engine to pass the emission tests for that years set up "

No, in 2007 the CT General Assembly included in the annual DMV Bill an emissions " testing " exemption specifically for all Composites, CT designation for kit cars and replicas. The emissions exemption on testing is still in place.

The initial explanation, yet to be verified, is the Federal EPA is mandating to the state EPA/DMV , the emissions systems and hardware must still be installed. When the emissions testing exemption was unanimously approved by the CT General Assembly Transportation Committee with full support from the co-chairs, there was no mention of still requiring the emissions hardware/systems. The CT hobbyist, CT Council of Car Clubs, and CT businesses, ERA & Vintage Motorsports,( BackDraft Racing ) that testified at a public hearing for the emissions testing exemption were not aware of the direction the Federal EPA is taking.

The new requirement was published and effective as of August 1, no advance notice and no grandfather clause for builds currently in progress by either the hobbyist or turn key businesses.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Don,

Well at least that is good they don't have to pass the emission test like here. It is really getting hard up in this area to even find pumps and other smog equipment for the older engines that had it, let alone find any that will work. The filter canisters and such are all but impossible to find from what some of the people are saying, so they have just given up on building a car or are going to try and get one of the SB-100 numbers. We used to have around 12/15 Cobras in this area and I only know of 4 now and none of them are hardly ever driven at all. The summer heat here is just not good for driving a roadster type car.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: