Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: ERA FIA #2114 with 331
Not Ranked     
Default Starter only engaging sometimes..

I tried starting my 331 over the weekend without luck.. The starter gear is only engaging approximately every 6th turn of the key. And when it does engage, the crank shaft only moves slightly! The battery is new and fully charged. I have a Lakewood bellhousing, McLeod flywheel, an after market no name Japanese starter with solenoid riding on top of it.. Do I have an alignment issue?
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

If it was working fine previously and only started to act up it sounds like a bad starter drive. I dont think the alignment would all of a sudden go out. Normally when the alignment is out the teeth will grind.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a brand new build.. First time trying to start the recently completed engine (started as a semi-long block from professional engine builder- I finished it off).
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #698 428 Toploader
Not Ranked     

When it does not engage what does it do? Grind or just spin?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a ground.

Actually sounds like a non-grounding issue.

A bad ground would account for the non-engaging and when it does engage the very slow cranking.

Less likely, but possible, is that the starter has gone bad and not making contact internally when you try to use it.

An alignment issue would sound like some very unpleasant noises as the starter gear and flywheel ground against each other.

I'd check the grounds, paying particular attention to any paint between faces where the starter ground is. Paint on the body is good, on the grounds .... not so good.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Ok.. It just spins when it's not engaged.

When it does engage it only moves the flywheel a little bit.. I have the power cable attached (indicated in red) and a small wire attached (indicated in blue). I need a ground cable off the starter? The negative battery cable and both cylinder heads are grounded to the frame.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacobra427 View Post
... I need a ground cable off the starter? ...
ahhh yup that would help
Old 11-04-2008, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the same problem with a brand new Ford mini starter. Turned out the sprague clutch allowed the starter gear to be freewheeling in every direction now and then. I would try with a different starter.

Simon
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I had basically the same thing happen to my daily driver. I went into the store and came back out and the starter would spin but not engage.Then when it did engage it would barely turn the engine over. Checked all wires and everything was ok, but when I had the starter checked it was bad. Replaced starter and no more problems.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster, 302, roller cam, Holley 650
Not Ranked     

Had the same problem on my 302. I took a chance and ordered a new starter motor (with solenoid). With the starter/solenoid out we found that the post could move just a fraction and lose contact. New starter/solenoid worked just fine and have not had a problem starting since.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

We are running old style Big starter and this happens also but only when HOT,I was going to change out and put in a mini starter,any preferences ,we run the same set up. I also noticed a pattern in the ring gear of NOT fully engaging the flywheel it seems the block plate is the difference in depth,do you guys cut it out in the starter area?The engine has been together for three years now and this is the first problem I have noticed with engagment.Thanks WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar LS427 , 427 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I too had hot cranking problems with the big starter. I looked at the myriad of options and prices until my head ached. I read several posts about success with the mini starter from Ford Racing, so I went that way (from Summit). It spins my motor great hot or cold.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantacobra427 View Post
When it does engage it only moves the flywheel a little bit.. I have the power cable attached (indicated in red) and a small wire attached (indicated in blue). I need a ground cable off the starter? The negative battery cable and both cylinder heads are grounded to the frame.
As said previously, Check all of your grounds. Make sure that the paint is removed where your ground wires attach. Fiberglass cars= the more grounds the better. As far as the ground from the starter, you should have a ground wire from one of the bellhousing/starter bolts directly to the frame.

Take your starter out and have it checked. Make sure they sheck it "under load".

Also, have you tried shorting across the solenoid posts bypassing the key switch?

Terry
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Ground the Block to the frame.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took out the starter and had it tested at Auto Zone... It checked out fine.. but after reinstalling it in the car.. the starter energizes now without turning the ignition key!! I killed the power to the starter relay by turning the battery kill switch behind the passenger seat. After re-installing the starter and hooking up the power cable and solenoid actuator wire, I turned the kill switch to the ON position and the starter activated! Do I have a bad starter relay now? Also, the starter still didn't engage even with the ground! Does the ground wire size matter? I'm using a 10 or 12 gauge wire attached to the frame. The two cylinder heads are grounded to the frame as well. So is the transmissions.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I called Lakewood Bellhousing today.. One of their techs said it sounded like I had the wrong starter. He said I probably have a starter for an automatic transmission! After work I purchased a new starter for a manual tranny and installed it. I turned the key and it turned the engine immediately! I'll try to fire the engine tomorrow night..