Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default Dynatek & Dean Lampe's RCR 40 in Kit Car Mag...again

The January 2009 issue of Kit Car has an article on Dean Lampe's change from his old Weber setup to a Dynatek EFI setup. The pictures show the Italian Weber side by side with the Dynatek setup and they look virtually the same, at least to me. If I remember correctly, the Dynatek setup was spun up to 7,500 RPM, but stopped making power at 7,100 RPM.

Now the summary of the HP variance:

Before (Webers): 508 HP at the flywheel.

After (Dynatek): 560 HP at the wheels.

That's amazing! Nice article Dean. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 2715
Not Ranked     

What are the engine specs?

E
Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Eric, I don't know the specs, but we're talking a very high dollar SB based upon a block with a 8.7" deck height if I remember. Dean frequents the site, so maybe he could comment when he pops back in.

I'm just amazed that the EFI setup could make so much more power at high RPM's than a Weber setup. I also wanted to see a Weber carb carb side by side with a Dynatek stack so compare the difference and there really isn't any.

In the article, Dean did have a computer/dyno expert tweak his Dynatek setup with a laptop, but the Dynatek setup was pretty well setup right out of the box.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.
Not Ranked     

IIRC Dean mentioned earlier that there was an issue with the software that was responsible for the 7100 RPM limit.

I do not see why you should be so amazed @ the extra HP, if you visualise the intake valve throat @ 46mm+ dia and then the 42mm chokes in each weber its not hard to 'see' where the restriction is at WOT.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 148 with 427 SO
Not Ranked     

you ought to hear the damn thing!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Dynatec was at RunNGun went over to ther booth great guys Aausome products, Dean aways goes first class!Up close and personal I couldnt tell the two systems apart.Neat stuff you shoulda been ther!!!WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While I have listened to the sound on the video's etc they never do justice to being there in person, I have a couple of AVI clips of one car I work with here & they are nothing compared with being trackside when its @ 7600+ & that in turn was nothing compared with taking it for a lap myself san's crash helmet & giving the rev limiter a nudge in top gear.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
While I have listened to the sound on the video's etc they never do justice to being there in person,
Sound like this?

E
Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No, sounded lots better than that!!!!, 8 into 1 exhaust takes some beating! to say nothing about the beating it gives the ear drums-- but then some folk reckon I have had selective deafness for decades!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
No, sounded lots better than that!!!!, 8 into 1 exhaust takes some beating! to say nothing about the beating it gives the ear drums-- but then some folk reckon I have had selective deafness for decades!
I didn't post the first vid of the engine before that pull.

How's it sound now???

E
Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry E, impressive as the numbers are, the sound at those 'low' stroker revs is not going to get my attention. You need to at least fit that unit in a MKIV with a set of 180° crossovers to make some real noise-- some would refer to it as more refined. . Im sure Fran @ RCR would be only to keen to help you out with the car--- no I'm not an agent for him, in fact he would probably want to kick my butt ahead of anyone else!!

However we are getting a bit sidetracked here- better leave these guys to it!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

The Dynatek stuff is real easy. I spent a little time on the phone, now I just plug in my laptop and make adjustments for the hell of it just to see what will happen! The comparison isn't apples to apples as I said in the article but I thought I had my Weber's set right like many of us do. Now my laptop will tell me exactly where I am at any point in the rpm range due to the built in data logger. I just can't tell you how impressed I am with this system and I am a weber guy!

My engine is an 8.7 deck aluminum dry sump small block at 11 to 1 roughly with Yates heads, Oliver ultra light rods, billet Scat crank, button dual disk clutch, titanium valve train with Jesel rockers. The cam is a solid roller with 248 dur and 660 lift at the valve with a 108 LSA. It Will run to 8000rpms but I usually just shift.

The Weber's matched the injection up to about 5000 rpms then the injection really kept climbing as the Weber's fell away. They just can't flow the air that the Yates heads need to make big power numbers.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Dean, what intake did you use to mate the webers to the yates heads? Did the Dynatek guys make an intake just for your app.?

Steve
Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe Dean had a custom intake made for his Weber setup, which he then modified for the Dynatek setup, but Dean correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

Yes it was a custom intake. There where no intakes around for an 8.7 deck Yates motor with Weber's. The name of the shop escapes me but it is a 3 piece design. The only modification I needed was a vacuum connection which most people might already have on a normal Weber intake. This system will bolt right to your IDA manifold and you can use your linkage and fuel lines. I already had a return line but I don't know if you need that or not. I switched the fuel pumps and the regulator. Everything else came in the kit from Dynatek. At this point, as bill said, you can't tell the difference. All my wires and lines are hidden under my turkey pan. The only way to know is if you notice the missing axillary venturis.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,

Sounds like a VERY sick setup!

Any pics?

Vids?

E
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=acyex_ABKaw

Here is a you tube from my in car camera. The sound is not that clear, typical youtube, but you can get the idea. The faster laps are at the end so you can fast forward to the middle if get bored with it.

My alternator quit and by the end my electronics were starting to cut out. Other than that, the system is awesome!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was there. He is crazy fast!

Here's the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acyex_ABKaw

Last edited by STL Mark; 12-04-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Mark you ran pretty stout out ther for your first time looking forward to seeing you and the other STL. guys next year be safe ...WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

If the dynatek setup made 560HP at 7100 RPM, at what RPM did the weber setup make 508HP ?